Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Ducati Superbikes more expensive to insure then say their japanese counterparts of similar engine displacement?

I was just curious. Anyone know?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know how the two compare as I've never owned a Japanese bike. However, I would HIGHLY recommend State Farm for your insurer. They were literally half of what progressive wanted to charge me. I'm paying something like $450 a year for my new '04 749s.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Ducati Superbike insurance question...? (Soulsedge)

Try:

http://www.motorcycleservices.com/

If they write in your state, they could be a good deal.

I'm paying $324 a year for full coverage on a ST4s. Prior to that it was $285 a year full coverage for a 900 Sport.

-Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soulsedge »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are Ducati Superbikes more expensive to insure then say their japanese counterparts of similar engine displacement?

I was just curious. Anyone know?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm no! The demographics of a Ducati rider actually makes Ducati's a lot cheaper to insure versus the Japanese counter parts. For example on a brand new 999 I'm 325 dollars a year with full coverage and a 250 deductable and on a R1, GSXR, ZX10R or CBR I would be over 1200 a year! And my deductables would be 1000! (I'm 40, married, 2 kids, house, cars, cat, goldfish, etc). When I asked why my agent why he told me that high end bikes simply are destroyed like the Japanese bikes. The day I got my Duc he told me that a "young" Client of his picked up a GSXR and didn't even make it home before he total it. He quoted him 4k a year and this kid still bought it. I can not imagine paying 330 a month to ride a bike..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have State Farm and its 323 a year full coverage with a 100/250 deductable for my 04 998 and it was 321 for my 01 RC-51

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
State Farm is the cheapest, since they base their rates on size of the motors, as well as the year of the bike. My 2004 749R is cheaper than my 2005 CBR600RR by about $10/mo. and about $20/mo. cheaper than the 2002 RC51. Go figure. But, hey, I ain't complainin'!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Man, I'm moving to the "States". Up here in Canada I'm paying $1250.00/yr (about 1700 American) to insure my 2004 749s. If it was a 999 I would be paying around 2 grand (Canadian dollars again). For comparison my 99 VFR was $900/yr.

I am 39 years old with a clean driving record, ie no accidents, a couple of minor speeding tickets and no speeding tickets on a motorcycle.

This was the best quote from amongst several companies. The worst quote was something like $2400!

I'm movin'.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Ducati Superbike insurance question...? (arty)

I got all insurance (car, bike, life, house) with Liberty Mutual.

Excellent company, amazing rates, give them a call.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Ducati Superbike insurance question...? (jbraslins)

insurance is a big scam.
apart from that...state farm are cheap. they go by displacement and year, not make.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Ducati Superbike insurance question...? (gtoast)

for all you folks that have state farm.. do you also have them for your cars as well? I thought I heard that they would not insure your bike without your car? is that true?

Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Ducati Superbike insurance question...? (hoythuntin)

true. you cannot insure only your bike through them. your driving record also needs to be pretty exemplary

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Ducati Superbike insurance question...? (gtoast)

I have had my bikes with State Farm for a long time, and had moved my cars to Geico. When I moved to CT State Farm wouldn't cover me without the autos. Geico offers cycle insurance and my 999 is $350 per year (45yo, perfect driving record). worth checking if you can't go with State Farm.

Aaron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: (georgeb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by georgeb »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">However, I would HIGHLY recommend State Farm for your insurer. They were literally half of what progressive wanted to charge me. I'm paying something like $450 a year for my new '04 749s.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto on State Farm. My rates droped a few bucks when I switched from my R1 to the 998. Paying about $350 per year for full coverage.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing no is mentioning is if you have had a ticket in the last 5 years State Farm will not even quote you. At least it is that way here in MI. I tried to get a quote from them last year, I have not tried this year.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
State Farm is high here in Texas for me at least. I'm 50, married, with one child and have four cars insured through them and it was still too high. I'm with dairyland and have been since I started riding 18 years ago. Luckily no claims. All's good!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: (duckboy)

I forgot to mention a few things:

1. Yes, state farm will only put bikes onto an existing Car policy. I transfered all three (1 auto, 2 bikes) over at the same time.
2. My record is not great. I'm a white male at age 26 with 1 speeding ticket, and 1 no-fault acident in the last three years. My agent didn't blink at that.
3. With all of that, I'm paying something like $450 / year for the 749s.

It can't hurt to call them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by georgeb »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I forgot to mention a few things:

2. My record is not great. I'm a white male at age 26 with 1 speeding ticket, and 1 no-fault acident in the last three years. My agent didn't blink at that.
It can't hurt to call them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And the fact you are white is relevant how?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: (Racer666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Racer666 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And the fact you are white is relevant how?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe he is looking for a date!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for all the tips. unfortunately i've got my Maine license with no motorcycle endorsement yet (been on a permit forever)...as i've never had a bike recently to take the test. I just renew it each year. lol.

But i moved to canada recently...i've gotta convert my license and everything, and i'll be considered a new driver basically because of it(would in maine too though). So basically my rates are kinda crappy, i can't even think about full coverage. (3300 a year for a 2000 996 from one place, 2047 from another)

Looks like i'm sticking with liability at least for a years time. (471 was best rate i could find).

I'm 28 years old, with a completely clean driving record....no accidents ever. *knocks on wood*

Thanks for all the posts though guys, i really appreciate it.

Perhaps i'll ask my father to put the bike in his name on his insurance, and i can keep it up here.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

When did you open your policy? I have no accident claims, and one ticket three old, another 2.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts