Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my bike into Spectrum Ducati in Irvine, CA for a simple oil change and to have my chain adjustment. This was despite the tire being replaced over there 2 weeks prior where the chain should have been adjusted then. Nonetheless, they saw fit to charge me for a chain adjustment with the oil change anyway. This was in preparation for going to Buttonwillow on the 20th.

I wouldn't normally trust that dealership for service considering I've heard/read problems people experienced as a result. I figured, how could they screw up, something so simple? Well, on the way home after travelling about 10-15 miles on the freeway averaging 80 mph (speed of traffic +5), I go on the offramp and was stopped at a light to turn left. When pulling away, I felt the rear tire start to slide to the ride and thought, WTF! Maybe I ran over something on the offramp. I rode on a little more and could literally feel the rear tire sliding some more.

I pulled off to a side road where I can park the bike on the side of the street. When I got off, I looked at my rear tire only to see it coated with oil from side to side. Looking underneath the bike, I see motor oil dripping out from the bottom and upon further inspection, found the drain bolt had completely backed out. It was almost completely drained by the time I stopped and my rear tire seemed to have soaked up most of it.

They originally tried to deny that it was something they did, but after I shared with them that I took photos with my camera phone (haven't offloaded it yet), they admitted it was their fault. The pictures are pretty telling, and I even took one where you can see the trail of oil created from my rear tire as it goes around a corner.

Although I wasn't hurt, the hazard I was exposed to seems to be taken very lightly by them. They want to just throw oil back in the bike, replace my rear tire, and provide me a 6000 mile service for free. This was not acceptable to me considering that there is likely damage to the motor due to the oil starvation. I didn't see the oil light come on, but I was just trying to do everything possible to keep the bike upright. It's only a 2.5 months old 999 and the most Spectrum was able to offer me as replacing it was a standard 749 with the same spec tires I had originally.

I'm the guy who had the blowby on my first 749 within the year and had difficulty with DNA in having the bike replaced. After returning to the shop at least 7 times in a month where it spent 2 weeks in there for the blowby, it was finally replaced. This was the reason I didn't service my bike myself, since I don't want to give DNA any outs. Now I'm just shit out of luck.

·
Registered
404 Posts
that sucks! but a new rear, oil, and free 6k mile service doesnt sound too bad...for starters:twocents try to squeeze a front tire, oil changes for as long as you own bike (really stretching there) and a 12k service out of them as well...at least your ok...it could have been worse...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
qwak748 said:
that sucks! but a new rear, oil, and free 6k mile service doesnt sound too bad...for starters:twocents try to squeeze a front tire, oil changes for as long as you own bike (really stretching there) and a 12k service out of them as well...at least your ok...it could have been worse...
Is that enough? My problem is if they can't get a simple oil change right, how much more can they screw up with a 6 or 12K service?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Termin8r said:
Is that enough? My problem is if they can't get a simple oil change right, how much more can they screw up with a 6 or 12K service?
I am the last one to make excuses for dealerships, but in the real world mistakes happen and I'm sure the error was not the result of incompetence, but probably a simple oversight. Stupid, but an accident just the same. Could a terrible accident have happened - yes. Did it - no. At the end of the day noone was hurt, your bike seems none the worse for wear and the dealer offered you a olive branch. I think they were being fair in offering to make you whole again...what else did you want? I would definitely want something, but any more than you got might be being a bit greedy. Now if you crashed the bike that would be another story!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick D. said:
I am the last one to make excuses for dealerships, but in the real world mistakes happen and I'm sure the error was not the result of incompetence, but probably a simple oversight. Stupid, but an accident just the same. Could a terrible accident have happened - yes. Did it - no. At the end of the day noone was hurt, your bike seems none the worse for wear and the dealer offered you a olive branch. I think they were being fair in offering to make you whole again...what else did you want? I would definitely want something, but any more than you got might be being a bit greedy. Now if you crashed the bike that would be another story!
I wasn't really trying to get more than what I already had. I just want to be back in the same situation I was in prior to the dealer performing work on the bike. I would accept better but not worse.

Since I had a blowby under 700 miles on my first 749, how could I possibly feel that oil deprival would be a good thing for these testatretta motors? Now if they can put me in a time machine to undo their negligence, I would gladly accept.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Does anyone have the same kind of story about Honda - Suzuki - Yamaha - Kawasaki - BMW etc shops making the same stuff-ups?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
soslow said:
Does anyone have the same kind of story about Honda - Suzuki - Yamaha - Kawasaki - BMW etc shops making the same stuff-ups?
I'd imagine incompentence isn't limited to this shop. I need to find a shop who will work on my bike like it's their own. Obviously, Spectrum Motorsport isn't one of them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would press for extended warranty on the bike ,a couple years, if starvation caused a problem you will be covered for it to develop symptoms and get it fixed then I would even swap warranty coverage for free service as you can then go any place for service but to them if something breaks. Watch how any agreement is worded and make sure it is in writing.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Karlb said:
I would press for extended warranty on the bike ,a couple years, if starvation caused a problem you will be covered for it to develop symptoms and get it fixed then I would even swap warranty coverage for free service as you can then go any place for service but to them if something breaks. Watch how any agreement is worded and make sure it is in writing.
exactly what i was thinking...:notworthy
at least then if anything does happen your still protected...more or less i guess haha

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Karlb said:
Honest question: do you think I'll have problems with the warranty being honored if there is damage resulting from a dealer's negligence? I surely wouldn't want to have to deal with this issue 2 years from now. I don't want the finger pointed at me down the road as to why I didn't take enough "preventive" measures at this point knowing that there may be potential damage from the oil starvation. I've dealt with DNA before and I can just see this as being an issue.

·
Registered
258 Posts
your extended warranty may be from the dealer directly as this is not a DNA warranty issue-- it is a service warranty issue from that dealership. Also why I would def. go over the wording of the agreement to make sure they dont put any loop holes in it to decline your coverage if you need it later and I would also keep all receipts handy for all work done anywhere and make sure all required maint is done by the book on time or early.Just make sure you dot your I's and cross your tee's but really if you are gonna have trouble from it I would think it will be sooner as opposed to later.
might consider running your next oil change thru Blackstone Labs (I think that is the name of it) they analyze oil and tell you all about your engine by what they find in it. cost is like 20-25.00 and you could do a test every oil change, another thing you could request the dealer to foot the bill on as its all negotiable at this point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That sucks dude! I'd demand the extended warranty. The other stuff is useless if your engine is shot, but hopefully it isn't. Oil's pretty good these days or so they say.

A buddy of mine went in to get a U joint replaced and have his tires rotated on his truck. That night we found that the mechanic only installed 2 out of the 5 bolts back on one of the wheels. Or at least there were only 2 on when we looked to see what the rattling was. And one of them was loose. He went back and had them replace all the studs on that tire and recheck all the nuts. A week later he looked at the U joint and foudn that the new one wasn't installed properly. Went back again and they agreed to pay for it to be done at another shop. He got some money back too and the shop took full responsibility. The mechanic was fired.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a similar problem with a local Ducati dealership here in Gilbert, Arizona. I brought my bike in for the first service and within 3 weeks of that service, the four screws on the sump were loose and I end up loosing one screw. I only noticed after I saw drops on oil on my garage floor.

The dealer also tried to make a lame excuse saying that they thought the shop I bought it from inspected it so they didn't have to. Bah.

My recommendation, write to Ducati NA. They will get in contact with the dealership and assist in resolution. [email protected]

Dear Allan,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Ducati North America. I apologize for the delayed response. I appreciate you as a customer and look forward to assisting you in the future.

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment with an Authorized Ducati dealer. I have forwarded your concerns to the dealer directly for resolution. I do believe they are motivated toward your satisfaction. Someone from the dealership will contact you shortly.

Again, thank you for contacting Ducati North America and have a great day.

Sincerely,

Ms. XXXXXXXX

Customer Service

DUCATINORTH AMERICA
10443 Bandley Drive
Cupertino, CA 95014
PH: 408-253-0499
FX: 408-253-4099

The next day, I received an e-mail from that dealership.

·
Sharks in your mouth.
1,262 Posts
For the record, Ducati can't deny you warranty coverage (should you have an issue w/in their std. 2 year period) if you do work yourself, provided you have documentation to that effect (eg, reciepts); meaning, you can do basic services yourself. Moreover, you are also free to take your bike for service anywhere you please (as long as it's a recognized motorcycle service/repair shop) and Ducati must honor their manufacture warranty. And again, the proviso is that you can furnish documentation that services were performed.
On this specific instance, I'd say get the equal value of what oil, a rear tire and a 6k service would be in gift certificates at that dealer and use it to buy yourself maintenance parts and/or 6k service parts and take it to an independant shop for repair. Lastly, the idea of getting an extended warranty through this dealership is not a bad one, however, have an attorney look over the fine print should they conceded to offer you a warranty over and above the std manufacture warranty.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You could always Fire bomb :eek: the place and Shoot um as they Run out:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got off the phone with Spectrum, and I think they're going to make it right after all. I won't say anything about it until then (tomorrow) to make sure, but wish me luck nonetheless. Thanks for anyone and everyone's support.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spectrum Made it Right!!!

I GOT ANOTHER BIKE!!! Talk about making things right. While I still am concerned with what happened, I have to realize people make mistakes. However, it's what one does to correct those mistakes that counts more. It took some effort, but for them to come around like they did, I take back what I said about their organization. They even gave it to me with a new rear tire and my old tire since they were a race compound. Definitely a stand up resolution to the situation.

Thanks again for all your support. Who knows...maybe my guardian angel read this thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts