Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Qualifying is tomorrow FP1 and 2 was today. I'm more concerned about Spies struggling this year than I am the Ducatis, after all they have Rossi and Burgess working out the problems

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
Qualifying is tomorrow FP1 and 2 was today. I'm more concerned about Spies struggling this year than I am the Ducatis, after all they have Rossi and Burgess working out the problems
Yeah, it's a dream team. A mortal lock to win the Championship! The king of development and the master of everything moto. Burgess hasn't won with a 4-stroke V4, has he?:confused: Surely this is the year!;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I doubt this is the year for Ducati but I do believe Burgess can make anything fast. I don't the Rossi is a great development rider I think he is good at riding around problems and Burgess is good at finding the problems he rides around and refining them. I truly believe Edwards was a better development rider for Yamaha and have read quite a bit about his skills in that area in fact I've read he's one of the best in the paddock at it. I think this years bike is far worse than any Ducati for whatever reason and I say this because compare it to last years bikes which are being ridden by the satellite teams, they are right there with them if not faster! It also is noticeably slower in the straights than most of the other bikes which is quite the contrary to Caseys championship winning monster.

·
12,576 Posts
I doubt this is the year for Ducati but I do believe Burgess can make anything fast. I don't the Rossi is a great development rider I think he is good at riding around problems and Burgess is good at finding the problems he rides around and refining them.

I think this years bike is far worse than any Ducati for whatever reason and I say this because compare it to last years bikes which are being ridden by the satellite teams, they are right there with them if not faster! It also is noticeably slower in the straights than most of the other bikes which is quite the contrary to Caseys championship winning monster.
You are the only person on this board that doesn't think Rossi is the best development rider ever! AND others here believe that Stoner is the best at riding around problems and isn't such a great development rider as he couldn't win more than 1 Championship on the Ducati although he was the winningest rider over the past 4 years. Crazy, but people actually believe that.;)

But Nicky was the fastest non-Honda rider in P3 so everyone is just spot on with their assessments.:rolleyes: You know Rossi is a real Doctor, right?:confused:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Nicky has always done well in France...technical...lots of lefts. But this is not the year for Ducati...2012 is.

It appears Honda has the bike. I already see this as a 3 man championship race...Stoner, Lorenzo, Pedrosa. My money is still on Stoner, but I know a lot can happen. Lorenzo doesn't do DNF's, so his consistency, more than his speed, is what could keep him in this fight with all the blazingly fast Honda's.

·
12,576 Posts
Ask Burgess who is the best development rider. He's a straight talker and a straight shooter. No BS there.
He's only worked with 1 for the past 10 years so everything else he says about the rest of the field is 2nd hand knowledge.:rolleyes:

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Ask Burgess who is the best development rider. He's a straight talker and a straight shooter. No BS there.
Then ask Burgess what is the best engine configuration...

Quote Burgess:
".....when working at Yamaha last year they would like to build a V4
engine but there is too much instability in the regulations at the
moment and they don't have the man power to develop a new
engine"

Now the M1 is maybe the 2nd best bike in MotoGP

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
He's only worked with 1 for the past 10 years so everything else he says about the rest of the field is 2nd hand knowledge.:rolleyes:
You're right. You're so much closer to the MotoGP action and insider knowledge than Burgess, so you know he's misguided, of course.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Jami, Jami,

I know you can't stand the leg humpers (I'm not referring to you Baldy) any more than I can but come on. Give Rossi his due, he is a good development rider, imo a great development rider. Maybe not the best, but certainly good enough to get through 7 titles (and potentially an 8th) with significantly different team-mates, and he has won before working with Burgess.

No doubt the combination of Burgess and Rossi has made his development work easier but the man is magic on a bike and can provide the information needed to take something from a second place bike to a 1st place bike.

I never expected the ''dream team'' to re-enact their success with Yamaha from race one simply because when they made the move to Yamaha it was the second best bike on the grid, consistently week-in and week-out going toe-to-toe with the Honda. The Ducati is the third best and a big distance (+1 second) behind the Honda and Yamaha and unlike when they made the move to Yamaha, the competition, notably Honda and Yamaha have made a significant move forward, while Ducati has stayed stagnant.

·
12,576 Posts
You're right. You're so much closer to the MotoGP action and insider knowledge than Burgess, so you know he's misguided, of course.
So Stoner would come in from his session and tell Burgess what he needed even though they were on different teams? Wouldn't that be the only way he would know what Stoner was saying? :rolleyes: Burgess, the central depot of MotoGP development info!:confused:

·
5,671 Posts
So Stoner would come in from his session and tell Burgess what he needed even though they were on different teams? Wouldn't that be the only way he would know what Stoner was saying? :rolleyes: Burgess, the central depot of MotoGP development info!:confused:
You think he would need to even hear what Casey had to say to judge the progress of the Ducati's development from its 2007 top of-the-heap position to it's current distant 3rd position in relative bike performance against the Honda and Yamaha. Both the Honda and Yamaha have progressed dramatically in the last 3 years. The Ducati has stood relatively still, in comparison. You think Burgess doesn't have a clue as to what is at least part of the reason?

·
12,576 Posts
You think he would need to even hear what Casey had to say to judge the progress of the Ducati's development from its 2007 top of-the-heap position to it's current distant 3rd position in relative bike performance against the Honda and Yamaha. Both the Honda and Yamaha have progressed dramatically in the last 3 years. The Ducati has stood relatively still, in comparison. You think Burgess doesn't have a clue as to what is at least part of the reason?
If he didn't hear what Casey had to say, how would he know what he was asking for for the past 3 years?:confused: U think Stoner was asking for less front end feel and getting it every week? Did u not see him in his box ranting about the front after every wreck? And now that the bike has 46 on it, it's a priority I'm sure.:rolleyes:

And the Honda didn't take a giant leap forward until Stoner came aboard. The bike is insane right now. Can u please have Burgess confirm how this happened? Surely he was consulted, no?:confused:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think JB would have a very biased opinion! I think there is a very big difference in being one of the best racers in the world and being the best developer. I think Rossi and Stoner I'd assume a both superb racers in that they can both go fast on whatever they have, they probably have some comforts ie preferences on bikes but their ideas aren't necessarily going to make the package better for all, maybe just for them. Case in point: a few years ago back during the tire war days and both Rossi and Edwards riding on Michelins and developing new spec tire, Edwards was the key developer and his ability made all riders better on the michelins. From seeing him still around in GPs and the laps/testing he puts in I'd say he's still doing the same thing. This is just my opinion as stated throughout but like I said just because you can ride fast doesn't mean you can build a bike

·
Registered
365 Posts
Jami I don't think Stoner had much to say about the new Honda, maybe a little bit of Perdrosa but I 100% attribute the new machine to Hondas must win year, don't forget their suspension dept is bigger than Ducatis entire operation. Between the 3 riders well 4 with Marco I think Pedrobot and Puig have the most pull but don't forget Puig found Casey and let his parents camp in his yard as a young racer..I think we will see what the three of them can develop next year

·
12,576 Posts
Jami I don't think Stoner had much to say about the new Honda, maybe a little bit of Perdrosa but I 100% attribute the new machine to Hondas must win year, don't forget their suspension dept is bigger than Ducatis entire operation. Between the 3 riders well 4 with Marco I think Pedrobot and Puig have the most pull but don't forget Puig found Casey and let his parents camp in his yard as a young racer..I think we will see what the three of them can develop next year
I think the Pedro/Puig lovefest has subsided and that's why they brought in Stoner. The only thing that backfired was that clause in Dovi's contract which forced them to field a 3rd bike. I'm obviously not on the HRC team so everything is heresay other than the fact that they tried as hard as they could to put Dovi on the Gresini team.

·
5,671 Posts
And the Honda didn't take a giant leap forward until Stoner came aboard.

You are hysterical. Much as I like Casey and think he is a phenomenal rider, perhaps the fastest guy out there right now, I would suggest that the Honda is fast this year due to entirely different reasons than Casey's development input. It was fast from the first time he got on it, due to three things:

1. The new clutch
2. The better suspension
3. Improved electronics

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.