Speedzilla Forums banner

Ducati Darwin Award goes to (drumroll please).....

7K views 54 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
http://www.ducatimonster.org/s...780.0

Talk about balls of steel, or maybe dumb as a bag of rocks depending on whether you glass is half empty or full.

Anyone want to start a poll to see whether "DesmoMike" can get his motor running again?

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (drumroll please)..... (Nick D.)

Talk about ambitious. He is doing this without any manual whatsoever? Ya gotta be a little nuts.

You have to give him credit for jumping right in it though.

G
#4 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (CaliDuc)

Whoa, big project for a newbie ESPECIALLY with no manual.

Good on the guy for doing it and getting into it but he really should
first to get an idea, thankfully Norm is there advising, if not I think it would end in tears.

G
#6 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (Monstaman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monstaman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thankfully Norm is there advising, if not I think it would end in tears. </TD></TR></TABLE>

.......................................or flames.

G
#8 ·

Wow! I don't have anywhere near the guts, or know-how, to tear down my engine,.....but I do know what my starter looks like, lol!

Good luck to the guy! I appreciate his enthusiasm!

G
#9 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (ten~39)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ten~39 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow! I don't have anywhere near the guts, or know-how, to tear down my engine</TD></TR></TABLE>

Apparently he doesn't either.

I like the part about the 'black nipple looking thingy'. You can take your friggin engine out, but not unscrew the breather?

Not meaning to bag on him, he does have balls, but it IS funny.

G
#11 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (oneducs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneducs »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you say nipple!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry Cali, fun Police, that is not politically correct to say nipple on a forum unless it has to do with babies, this quite clearly does not.

......you're in trouble now....

G
#12 ·

I almost puked I laughed so hard. It started with "What is the black cylindrical thingy mounted horizontal on the front of the engine" and continued with his delusions of porting. At least Alex tried to talk some sense into him with "Don't do any porting you are just as likely to make your engine run worse then better. Leave it alone. Cross your fingers that you ever get that motor running right again." Man, that is grade A entertainment

G
#13 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monstaman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry Cali, fun Police, that is not politically correct to say nipple on a forum unless it has to do with babies, this quite clearly does not.

......you're in trouble now....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

So I guess being I said black nipple I am screwed huh?

G
#14 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (CaliDuc)

FYI, I tore into my motor about 5years ago to "freshen up" the bottom end, new bearings, have the crank balanced (in prep for a 784cc kit). I had never been that far in there before, but I did have a manual. It was really a PITA re-shimming the crank and trans (the pre-95 cases were put together with a, no longer available, gasket that measured .0012"), but I learned a lot and got it back together. 45k miles later, it is still a very strong motor and will be seeing regular track duties this year. 2 years later I also ported the heads myself and got a dyno proven 9hp (73-82rwhp). my bike hasn't been touched by a "dealer mechanic" in over 7yrs, and it has over 75,000 miles (40k since the rebuild).

I admire the guy for trying it himself, and having the BALLS to ask questions. Remeber, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked!!!!

G
#17 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (Nick D.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nick D. »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like the part where he was going to split the cases...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that was my favorite part too. The part when he was removing the extra gasket that seeped through between the case was great too.

You have to love his ambition, but
what happens when it gets back together and doesn't run. Best of luck.

G
#20 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (NC Rick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NC Rick »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
[Reckless_Kelly]

Well said dude!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That you very much Rick. You running any events with STT this year? It'd be nice to ride with some people I know.

G
#21 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (Reckless_Kelly)

One of these days I would like to get a complete 748 motor and see if I can tear it down and put it back together again for a fun project. I think it would be cool to get in the guts of it and especially if theres someone to help you when you reach an impass. Someday when I have more time.

G
#22 ·
Re:

There is a point in time when I man needs to prove he has balls, and there is a point in time when a man needs to put his pride aside and say to him self “let some one who knows take over and do the job right!”

But its clear that this guy is too stupid or cheep.

Stupid: thinks a Ducati engine is just like his kitchen blender “Don’t worry baby I’ll fix it!”

Cheep: “Why pay some one? I can do it ALL my self, it’s just a little leak, I just need to take this part off and this one….oh crap….NOT the flux capacitor!”

G
#25 ·

I think he'll be fine, you have to admire his ambition. Everybody has to have a 1st time, although I suspect he'll end up buying a manual (I hope).

G
#26 ·
Re: Re: (BlackHawk)

Hey, Ahhh...

To y'all who've been flaming on him for talking matters into his own hands:
Have you had an engine torn down farther than him, and if so, how did it work out?

Or...do you just whimper like a schoolgirl and write a check getting your bike serviced at the dealer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.