Speedzilla Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
I was told I was getting some attention over here so I had to come by and see what all the fuss was about.

For all of you who thought my thread was a joke I'm sorry to have to tell you that it was no joke. Although I have to admit that the starter question was pretty stupid. I was even calling myself a dumb ass for asking that question, especially after I got the answer.

As for the crank case breather, yes it was pretty obvious that it needed to be screwed off, the reason I asked how to get it off was because I didn't have a wrench big enough to get on it, and I had actually broken a strap wrench trying to get it off. It was on pretty damn tight and I didn't know if there was a trick to getting it off.

For those of you who think I just started that thread for attention are also sorely mistaken. I don't give two shits what any of you think of me which should be pretty evident by the dumb questions I was willing to ask. The truth is I started the thread not only to learn about my bike and get great advice from other members, but also to allow others to learn along with me. I've been reading the DML for close to three years now and almost every time I try to head over to the tech section to learn something "technical" I find myself getting lost in all the jargon. That was why I chose to use a lot of photos and "simple" explanations as I went along. I wanted it to be easy for others to follow along and learn.

As for all the shit about how I need to go out and get a manual, that is exactly what I did. About a week into the project I bought a Haynes manual, although I have to admit I hardly used It. I found that the over 200 photos I took during the disassembly and the Ducati spare parts manual I downloaded of the internet to be way more valuable. In fact, it was by using the spare parts manual that I leaned the proper names of most of the parts on my bike.

All I can say to those of you who thought I wouldn't get my bike running again is that I know my own abilities, and I know that if I put my mind to something that I can accomplish it, and do a better job at it than most.

What I do want to know is why I should be ragged on for wanting to learn more about my monster than just how to bolt on a pice of carbon fiber or how to sign a check to a mechanic for doing the work for me. I honestly expected more from the ducati community. I never would have, and didn't, get that kind of treatment from the members on the DML. Anyone who doubted me or laughed at me for trying should take another look at the finished product. I think it looks damn good and I'm damn proud of it.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/I...1.JPG

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Re: (de5m0mike)

desmomike,
I agree with you 100%.
It`s your bike ( I hope ) and you can do with it whatever you want.
I have got great help from very good people in this Forum, most people here are Gents and will give you a hand, some are just waiting for something out of the ordinary to start a joke, this time is your turn, don`t feel bad, just learn from it.
I have fixed many things in the same manner you are working on your Ducati, but having a repair manual helps A LOT !!!, specially for finding tolerances, torque specs, etc.
I have a cousin who has a special "gift", he can take almost anything appart and somehow he can figure out how it`s reassembled, and he does, and it works. I hope you have that gift too.
What I personally do is make notes and drawings when something looks complicated, also using parts bags with notes or tied to the bigger parts helps too.
Good luck man.

Discussion starter · #43 ·

de5m0mike, dude you are cool man, I appreciate your work you have done and more so your drive to do it yourself

Big thanks to Norm to helping you along the way, good on you Norm

It was a huge task you took on and you have done it well, congrats man and now you have a sweet ride!

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Re: (Monstaman)

Right on man......... dont let this be your only post.
UPDATE US.....Did it grenade upon first fire up?
Ill give ya credit. I dont think yer a yahoo.
Good fer you for jumpin in head first and crawling out.
I did it the same way.Different story.It was a 1987 Hurricane mill with broke CCT.Cam Chain and rocked rocker covers and bent valves. I bought the book and split that thing down to the empty cases and even plasti gauged the thing to a perfectly built 1000 cc pig.
Dont get pissy.
Tell us how you did and what you learned.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Re: (y2km900sie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by y2km900sie »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Suddenly seems kinda quiet over here. Too bad you didn't run that poll.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I would think that ultimately, no one wanted him to fail. And shame on any of us who would. If I hadn't been so dng busy with my past few weeks, I'd have tried to add help as well, but Norm really seemed to have it handled. The spirit of the forums is for us to help each other. And I will admit that Mike had bitten off a hell of a bite. But I'm glad he's proven to have a strong jaw.

:)
Chris

Discussion starter · #47 ·

As the originator of this post I just want to applaud Mike and his good luck and ability to get his bike back together. I created this thread because he seemed to be the kind of guy who jumps off a bridge with a couple of wooden wings assuming he would figure it out as the situation progressed. I'm not sure the reality was any different, but I am certainly pleased that he was able to pull the rabbit out of the hat. Honestly though, his posts did make him look like a freaking fool though. The key to success in these types of projects is not to figure it out as you go, but to do some research beforehand and remove parts with at least a clue about: a) what they are; and b) what they do. Pulling parts off willy-nilly based on what you figured out from the parts schematic is just looking for trouble.

At the end of the day though, the bike looks great and runs, which is the true acid test about the overall quality of the project.

Congrats Mike! I don't think anyone was handing out anything but a good-natured ball busting, so don't get pissy and keep us posted with pics, etc.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Re: (Nick D.)

For those of you who don't yet know, yes I did get the engine running again. And no, it didn't blow up on me. I admit it didn't start on my first attempt but after thinking about it for a day while at work and asking a few questions on the DML I was able to track down and fix the problem within an hour or so once I got home. After that she fired right up.

For those who haven't seen the photos of the finished product here they are. Oh, who are we kidding finished. We all know these things are never finished.

Discussion starter · #50 ·

mike! all that work and you've still got the reflectors and side pods on there??!

seriously that thing looks nuts now. love the blacked out motor, and the open belts. keep up the good work.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Awsome job desmomike. I think that there is a huge difference between "knowing" about an engine and concepts and actually "doing" the work. Good job, you give me faith in ducati people (there are many out there who buy these bikes just for status). Keep it up, the bike looks awesome.

Discussion starter · #52 ·

Great job on getting her running again Mike, the bike looks very clean

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Re: (CPalacay)

Congrats on getting the bike done. My hat is off to you.
Don't take the comments earlier personal. We like to poke fun, but it is all in good humor. Ya have to admit that you set yourself up for some ribbing with your original post.

Great job, bike looks sweet!!

Discussion starter · #54 ·
Re: (CaliDuc)

GOOD JOB!

for all the people who have taken a poke at you, there are probably twice as many who admire your courage! me included!

the bike looks great!

Chris

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.