Speedzilla Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (Reckless_Kelly)

One of these days I would like to get a complete 748 motor and see if I can tear it down and put it back together again for a fun project. I think it would be cool to get in the guts of it and especially if theres someone to help you when you reach an impass. Someday when I have more time.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Re:

There is a point in time when I man needs to prove he has balls, and there is a point in time when a man needs to put his pride aside and say to him self “let some one who knows take over and do the job right!”

But its clear that this guy is too stupid or cheep.

Stupid: thinks a Ducati engine is just like his kitchen blender “Don’t worry baby I’ll fix it!”

Cheep: “Why pay some one? I can do it ALL my self, it’s just a little leak, I just need to take this part off and this one….oh crap….NOT the flux capacitor!”

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Re:

Did you all notice he has the engine on a washing machine?

What the hell is he planning to do, wash it in the gentle cycle and pop it in the dryer??

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (drumroll please)..... (Nick D.)

I think he'll be fine, you have to admire his ambition. Everybody has to have a 1st time, although I suspect he'll end up buying a manual (I hope).

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Re: Re: (BlackHawk)

Hey, Ahhh...

To y'all who've been flaming on him for talking matters into his own hands:
Have you had an engine torn down farther than him, and if so, how did it work out?

Or...do you just whimper like a schoolgirl and write a check getting your bike serviced at the dealer?

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (Norm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Norm »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think he'll be fine, you have to admire his ambition. Everybody has to have a 1st time, although I suspect he'll end up buying a manual (I hope).</TD></TR></TABLE>
Agree he appears to be learning fast ... and the after photos of the painted heads look great. Most importantly everything looks very clean (ie. inside the rocker area, etc.).

Most first timers do not keep the internal areas clean and thus the poor engine suffers ... he seems to appreciate that cleanliness INSIDE the engine is everything.

I do worry about the porting ... as Norm has stated (atleast twice, I think) he should really be thinking of is as a simple matching exercise, no more.

Pete

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (PSk)

Porting? He couldn't even identify the Fricken intake manifold!! BASIC engine theory should come before RIPPING it apart! My profession is CNC machining.My passion is motorcycle engines. I've split cases on 3 occasions so far. Sucessfully,except once after machining my cases for larger jugs,more stroke,big cams,and "Branch" heads on my old sportster. After I assembled it,I realised I grew a WEAK link,as the clutch basket repeatedly failed
. Knowledge is the key,along WITH the proper MANUAL.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (ducxl)

Dude has a sever care of exploranism ( ijust made up that word). I had it this winter and I think I'll get it again! There's nothing like learning your bike. Guys I admire in the DUcati world thus far:
916Bill
Strati
Norm
Reckless_Kelly
and de5omike
Chris Kelly (you're not the reckless one are you?)
I admire your the anti dealeship and do it yourself mentality.

Science...gotta love it!

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (prince_ruben)

I'm a big believer in learning by doing. Everything else is mental masterbation.

Discussion starter · #31 ·

I always come in on these threads when Norm is talking dirty. The last time was something about a big stick and a hammer.....

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (prince_ruben)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prince_ruben »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Guys I admire in the DUcati world thus far:
Chris Kelly (you're not the reckless one are you?)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah, not me. Wow. The thread kinda scared me when I first glimpsed it. But thanks for the admiration. Honestly, I really can't invest potentially hours of my time holding someone's hand who won't spend a couple of their own reading a manual.

Chris

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (chris_k)

It's gotta be an elaborate joke.

I mean, the "What's that black cylinder thingy on the front" (referring to the starter) gives it away it for me - NOBODY would be that "ambitious" (read: totally whacko, beyond Michael Jackson-land) to do this to an engine with 4K on it.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (j_nienaber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j_nienaber »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's gotta be an elaborate joke.

I mean, the "What's that black cylinder thingy on the front" (referring to the starter) gives it away it for me - NOBODY would be that "ambitious" (read: totally whacko, beyond Michael Jackson-land) to do this to an engine with 4K on it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm with you... towards the end of the post he starts referring to parts of the engine internals by their correct names. If he didn't have so many posts I would have thought he was a troll.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (750SS_Duc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 750SS_Duc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm with you... towards the end of the post he starts referring to parts of the engine internals by their correct names. If he didn't have so many posts I would have thought he was a troll.</TD></TR></TABLE>
He points this out ... ie. he is learning the names of things as he is going along, but it could be a joke I guess

I have to agree with Chris_k, somebody who is not prepared to help themselves is pretty hard to help, and manuals don't cost much in the overall scheme of things.

Pete

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (PSk)

I'm just not buying it. I think this guy has done a fair amount of work and thought it would be fun to act like the Pied Piper and see how many guys would moan, groan, and be in total disbelief of what he is doing. At one point he supposedly doesn't know what a crankcase breather is or how to unscrew it by the six flat sides a wrench fits. Yet later he identifies the oil pump? a basically flat piece of aluminum with a bunch of bolts through it, but doesn't know what a starter is, the only piece he took the heavy battery cable from. What about those funny pulley nuts how do those come off, yet the photo of the painted head has the pulley removed. No, I think this has been a lot of fun for him, but I'm not buying it.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Re: Ducati Darwin Award goes to (Phil 998)

With the book beside him it would only take a few minutes to identify parts, along with the support from the forum, my hat is off to the man, I don't think it is a huge setup at all.

Old saying I use is "Experience Is Your Best Textbook" and I stand by that, even a bunch of thread readers from DML and Sopeedzilla I am sure have learned from this particularly with Norms info and input.

Norm, you da man

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Re: (Judge)

Looks like that guy nailed it to me.

I would have had the frame powdercoated while it was off, but the black motor looks damn good.

Discussion starter · #40 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Norm »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm a big believer in learning by doing. Everything else is mental masterbation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.