Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Wow. :wtf

Well, if the championship is lost then why waste $$$$$$.

BUT,.......I think it's kind of tacky that they're taking their ball and going home as I doubt they would do this if they were leading the championship.

·
Registered
651 Posts
"Recently the Superbike World Championship, according to the current regulations, has been interpreted as moving more towards competition between prototypes rather than for bikes derived from production machines. This has led to an increase in costs, both for the manufacturers and the teams participating in the championship. This picture does not correlate with the current worldwide economic situation, which has made the securing of sponsorship even more difficult. Ducati trusts that the work carried out by all parties will lead to improvement also in this area."

Fact or opinion?

Maybe getting hammered by the prototype Aprillia? Whats going on here?

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
"Recently the Superbike World Championship, according to the current regulations, has been interpreted as moving more towards competition between prototypes rather than for bikes derived from production machines. This has led to an increase in costs, both for the manufacturers and the teams participating in the championship. This picture does not correlate with the current worldwide economic situation, which has made the securing of sponsorship even more difficult. Ducati trusts that the work carried out by all parties will lead to improvement also in this area."

Fact or opinion?

Maybe getting hammered by the prototype Aprillia? Whats going on here?
How'd that Cool-Aide taste there lucky? That's the excuse they give the public, the FACTS are that they are getting their asses handed to 'em by EVERYBODY ('cept Kawi) and they can't get ANOTHER rule change to keep a compeditive advantage. Typical crybaby bitch behaviour from a factory team full of crybabies......Maybe Harley can bail 'em out! :woot:

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
This kind of reminds me of when I was young and me and my cousin would go to the baseball field to battle each other to see who was the better baseball player.

He swore he was a better ballplayer than I was. For hours we would go at it. I would belt line drives out of anything he pitched to me. Then when it was his turn to bat, I could "K" him with sinkers, sliders, and curveballs. He would cry and moan about me being a bad pitcher to get me to give him something over the plate. When I'd pitch to him over the plate he would take me over the fence. I knew he could hit when he got his pitch so I stayed clear of giving him what he wanted.

What Ducati is doing kind of reminds me of that. :woot:

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Unlike RC's that rumble 'n roar, Ducs go WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE! (yeah Larry, just like an "inline motor of death"!)

-Rocky-

·
Registered
869 Posts
I honestly think it has more to do with putting all their eggs in the Rossi basket...

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They probably realize that until the short stroke twin is available the 1098R is not going to be competitive.

So much for the Ducati cup and Edwards riding for them.

With that said, they will be back when the new bike comes out.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I disagree...they were competitive last year, Checa has proven it can be competitive and they don't just fall off of a cliff in less then a year. Something else is going on....no idea what.

Shame about Edwards, i was hoping the same thing. Maybe there's not enough $$ to secure top notch riders?

They probably realize that until the short stroke twin is available the 1098R is not going to be competitive.

So much for the Ducati cup and Edwards riding for them.

With that said, they will be back when the new bike comes out.

·
Registered
869 Posts
So where does this leave the riders under contract with Ducatti right now? Are they simply over paid testers or do they sit in the corners with the orange vest like the rest of us?
I think Haga and Fabrizio were on 1 year contracts....

·
Registered
92 Posts
I disagree...they were competitive last year, Checa has proven it can be competitive and they don't just fall off of a cliff in less then a year. Something else is going on....no idea what.

Shame about Edwards, i was hoping the same thing. Maybe there's not enough $$ to secure top notch riders?
+1 It sounds like outsourcing to me. If they can still develope a bike through satelite/privateer input (albeit it may be more difficult) without the added cost of what it would take to run a factory supported team, more power to them. I'm not going to go conspiracy theory and say that this has anything to do with Rossi, I just hope this doesn't affect the quality of their products.:twocents

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
How'd that Cool-Aide taste there lucky? That's the excuse they give the public, the FACTS are that they are getting their asses handed to 'em by EVERYBODY ('cept Kawi) and they can't get ANOTHER rule change to keep a compeditive advantage. Typical crybaby bitch behaviour from a factory team full of crybabies......Maybe Harley can bail 'em out! :woot:

-Rocky-
i agree 1000%:clapper

leave b4 anybody knows you are too drunk:twocents does anybody else see that big pink elephant in the miffle of the room?

the time has passed and they know a 1400cc twin is not happening. it is sad to see a great go but maybe making another motor and racing instead of crying and going home would have gained a bit more respect then pity

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
My IMMEDIATE thought was that this was a ploy to get rid of their underperfomring riders. When a private Ducati rider beats the Factory rides too often, then there is an issue. But this would only be a factor if the contracts were through at least 2011, which I don;t recall is the case or not.

I don't believe this has anything to do with Rossi's cost, as I expect he brings in much more than he is paid, through sponsorship and expected sales.

So, assuming the above 2 factors are not....factors, then I'd take this at face value. They may well be needing to divert some of their energy to future platforms (the short stroke motor) etc....and one thing we know about Ducati...that unlike the Brits and the Americans in the past (when Harley was a perofrmance brand), they don;t rest on their laurels, and they keep working hard to provide performance improvements to keep their products near the top of the heap in terms of pure overall performance.

I only HOPE they don't fall foul to take the much easier route to performance in W/SBK - which is to switch to a four cylinder. A V-four would be nice, but a little ho-hum after Aprilia and their own Desmocedici.
Personally, I want them to continue to improve their wonderfully visceral and torquey V-twin motors. The LAST thing we need is yet another high-RPM, smaller displacement, lower-torque, race replica. Give us the big, hairy-chested torque-monsters with competitive power rather, for our street and trackday rides! :)

My only concern with the continuation of the 1200cc twin route for them in W/SBK...is the issue of that tiny 50MM intake restriction on the twins. I believe that higher RPM may not get them much when they still are restricted in breathing ability by those tiny restrictors. That was an issue this year, and effectively pegged the power of the twins at about 20-30Hp less than the fours...it will continue to be a problem and even more so, if they develop a higher-revving 1200cc twin.

Regardless, the future street bikes need not be limited by the restrictors (as the current 1098/S/R are not today), so we will still have magnificent street bikes despite these rules in W/SBK.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
The reason is very simple. Ducati, pretty much like anybody else, has been hit by the economic crisis. Heck, even BMW lost 9% sales worldwide between 2008 and 2009. They have to cut costs.
Lots of money is going into the MotoGP effort since Rossi ain't easy on development costs. More money will be put into R&D for products different from the usual sporty products. Ducati sells about 40.000 bikes per year, less than half as much as BMW and they haven't got the backing of a large car manufacturer. Put in the Rossi factor and perhaps they can reach 50.000: the bike market is still way overinflated and sales figures still need to come down so I am conservative in my estimate. Throw in additional cash from increased merchandise sales and licensing deals. You still have fat to trim to make ends, and that will be the WSBK effort.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts