Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what they're thinking... Does Ducati think they have enough power to force rule changes by threats?

http://www.eurosport.com/superbike/season/2007/sport_sto1146121.shtml

If they do walk-off, they sure won't have much of a racing culture left to advertise.

And if the FIM gives in, then does that open the floodgate for all the other manufacturers to start throwing tantrums?

So many questions... ah the soap-opera of racing!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Go Ahead?

Didn't they get the go ahead to move towards 1200cc's.

Surely they didn't build the 1098 without some understanding that FIM would raise the limit on V Twins.

If they did, it was foolish, and their "demands" have no justification. I don't buy that they were not led to believe that a adjustment was a sure thing.

This is just a media attempt to make something out of nothing. Ducati has commited to the rule change being agreed to. Of course they have to stand firm.

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
is ANYONE silly enough to think Ducati will not get their wish?

Besides, it makes absolute engineering sense to allow the larger V-twins to compete against the 4s....although this should also simultaneously allow the 4s to compete without restrictors. (They do still have intake sizing restrictors, no? Can't remember if this is the case or not.....anyone?)

·
MotoGP champ!
637 Posts
But Ducati do have a point, next year they would not have produced the 999 for two years, how can you expect them to race an old bike they no longer build (in a production based race series). Maybe they should threatern to race the Desmodeici instead? I dont think, not racing in WSBK would influence sales of the 1098 or 1198 somehow.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
I'm not sure what they're thinking...
I'm not sure what Ducati is thinking either... I don't believe there is much of a
future in a big displacement V2... sooner or later the cylinders will be so long
that the weight bias is all aft... the front end grip is going to suffer... I think
Ducati's only hope is to divide up the displacement with 4 cylinders which will
not only produce the power they wish but sport a more favorable weight bias
as well... give the Desmosedici a chance to shine... right now it sits broken
hearted... no longer a part of Ducati's racing plans...

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
But Ducati do have a point, next year they would not have produced the 999 for two years, how can you expect them to race an old bike they no longer build (in a production based race series). Maybe they should threatern to race the Desmodeici instead? I dont think, not racing in WSBK would influence sales of the 1098 or 1198 somehow.
Ducatis boycotting of Superbikes would however greatly affect WSBs popularity particuarly in Italy.
I'm not a supporter of the 1200cc limit tho as it would tip the balance in Ducatis favour and would rather see it reduced to 1100 as the std 1098 has proved it self competitive with 1k IL4s winning first time out in superstocks, if both capacities had the same tuning rules we should see some good racing. Either way it's going to be Ducati or Francis Batta spitting their dummies out. From my point of veiw tho I'm wondering if this is a lot of posturing in negoiations and the limit comes in at 1100 with an option to increase to 1200 if needed or less tuning regs for 4 cylinder bikes.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm not sure what Ducati is thinking either... I don't believe there is much of a
future in a big displacement V2... sooner or later the cylinders will be so long
that the weight bias is all aft... the front end grip is going to suffer... I think
Ducati's only hope is to divide up the displacement with 4 cylinders which will
not only produce the power they wish but sport a more favorable weight bias
as well... give the Desmosedici a chance to shine... right now it sits broken
hearted... no longer a part of Ducati's racing plans...

Here here, bring on the V4s, Every mark used 990 V4's (except honda) and learnt alot, now all thats wasted, bring on production versions of old motogp technology like the Desmodecci and superbikes will have rockin racin and cool sounds to boot...... excuse the bogan talk,

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I thought the LC8 would be sized at almost 1200 cubes?...
LC8 is somewhere around 1150 to 1200 c.c. It will be a tough choice next summer if all the expected models come out. 1098, RC8, 1050 Triumph, Aprilia V...:rolleyes: dream the dream...

Personally I love Ducati's move in WSC. It is a nice twist on the requirements of super bike racing. We can no longer race a 1000 c.c. twin because we no longer manufacture one.

Very cagey. Very smart.
I am sure they will win out in this one. Possilby more lattitude will be provided for the I4 1000s to compensate and the twin will fall under some restrictions for the beginning of the season but ultimately they are racing a prototype and by 2008 the homologation requirements will not be met.

In some respects this is similar to Honda's interpretation of the rules to create the RC30. A slight bending of the rules to gain a competitive advantage is always in the minds of the engineers and company race directors.

I hope we see a 1098 derivative racing soon.

True Motorcyclist they don't field a road-going version of the 999R but they have always skirted the rules a bit when it came to the actual displacements they raced as opposed to what they sold. Look at the 851 raced as an 888, and the 916 raced in all its derivatives over time. The 916 street bike did not always have the same displacement as the race bike.

·
Street and Track Moderator
3,888 Posts
There shouldn't even be an issue! 1000cc V twins were to compete against 750cc I4's. They should be allowed the extra displacement since I4's went to 1000cc. If they pullout, and Bayliss is gone, I for one will lose interest quick!

Matthew

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
The D16 is Ducati's best bargaining chip. Either give us what we want with the twins and we will beat you, or we will race the D16 and beat you. Your choice. The production numbers of the D16 would allow it to be homologated.

The rules are then open to everyone, and KTM could participate (which would be a huge addition to the series, IMO). Honda could build a new RC51, Suzuki a TL1200R, etc. Moto Morini already has an engine as well. And who knows, perhaps Aprilia will get out the boring bar on the new "Mille 1.2" or whatever it is called, and find a 1200cc twin is better for privateers than their V4. Also don't forget about BMW, their first true superbike is due this fall I believe, probably an I-4.

As far as triples go, the big Daytona has been rumored for some time, but I'm not holding my breath. Even if it is produced, Triumph hasn't exactly been into racing under Bloor's ownership. Before Triumph, I would anticipate Benelli being back in with their 1130cc engine. The Chinese have expressed their desire to race Benelli, in MotoGP but hopefully they will realize the folly that probably would be. Having a "home" race in China on the WSBK calendar in 2009 with Benelli's participation would be a boost to the series.

So perhaps a 1000cc/4, 1150cc/3, 1200cc/2 rule for engine displacement.

In all, you could easily have 24 full-time riders (12 2-man teams, at least 8 "full-factory"), plus perhaps 6 wild-card or single-rider privateer teams for a healthy grid of 30.

Rossi is what is propping up MotoGP at the moment, IMO. Once he retires, WSBK and MotoGP will be more or less equal in popularity worldwide. Heck, considering what he earns, Rossi could buy WSBK ($90M or so, right), and race in it for a year or two to assure its prominence over MotoGP.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
The 916 street bike did not always have the same displacement as the race bike.
A little factoid is that the Ducati factory team never raced a bike with 916cc. Fogarty and the guys started with 955 and went to 996 in their "916's".

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am still wondering why Ducati didnt just dust off the Desmosedici and put it on the grid. Im sure Batta would shit himself if he saw that happen.

'You want us to race a 1000 CC bike, ok, here it is..'

Maybe they could put Capi-Rex and Stoner on them as well to show the field what would happen if they ran their next 1000 CC bike.

1 - 20 of 288 Posts