Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While filming Episode 3, we've had ample opportunity to put these 2 bikes up against each other. While both machines have been well superseeded, and are very different in configuration, the bikes are extremely close in ultimate performance. Both over 5 years old, yet they still pack a lot of performance and excitement.
The movie link below is a full uncut run which was used in the making of chapter 1 of our new DVD. This road, know as "The Dog" to locals, is ridulously narrow, and very, very tight. The run looks slow at first, but you'll understand why after studying the narrowness of the road, and realize there is just no room for error at all. With a cliff face on the left and a verticle drop on the right, just made it even more daunting...watch and see how close cars get! Anything bigger than a Honda Civic coming the other way was an indicator for extra caution.
The left handers were spookin' me out as they were totally blind and usually decreasing in radius....really hard to judge entry. I f#ck up more than one left hander which is all too evident on the vid. I was surprised to go kneedown in a few bends considering the nature of this exhausting bit of road. You'll hear the perrr of the Duke in behind me, and how effortlessly the engine has to spin to stay with the MV...there's something just mystical about the Desmo Twins...that's what I miss most about not owning a Duke any more.
I wouldn't recommend this road for modern sportbikes, it's just so clostrophobic and restricting. Both bikes felt awkward and caged most of the time.

Anyway, to the bikes. I rode both on the same day, both up and back. While the MV has the edge in changing direction and inital turn in, the Ducati more than made up for this with it's punch out of tight bends...While I could go marginally quicker on the MV, nearly the same result could be achieved on the Duke with much less effort. To be honest, both bikes weren't really suited to this wickedly blind and tight stretch, but the Ducati was able to disguise any f*ck ups much easier....The MV was bogging down in the really tight bends and even struggled to pull from second gear on occasions. The Duke was all over the MV in these situations. Where the MV really outpointed the Duke was changing your line mid corner if your had to. The MV has the edge on the Duke in this respect...

All up, you can see why the Duke is a great road bike and why guys struggle when moving to an early, rev dependant MV... Chuck, who is the other guy in the vid, was finding the re-adjustment to the MV hard at first. The way the bike was turning in so fast freaked him out, and he just couldn't get his head around keeping the MV above 7000rpm...it's much harder work to get the same result from the MV and for this reason the 996 would edge out the F4 as the slightly better road bike.

Enjoy the movie guys...it's not the fastest you'll see sportbikes go, but I think you'll appreciate it anyway

http://www.velocemoto.net/video/Full%20Run%20-%20The%20Dog.wmv

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, I just finished an awful lot of work to my 996 motor, maybe you'd like to buy it. It's too much bike for me. It's being featured here: http://www.ducatimonster.org/

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice, I was down from Sydney for the first Iland GP and spent some time looking
for the fabled Black Spur,I dont recon I found it but had fun looking.The other fabled road,Great Ocean,was a disapointment,fantastic scenery but gravel everywhere.My all time faviourite,Oxsly Hwy.80kms of 35kph to 55kph bends and
a great surface,I had to pull over half way through, I was to stuffed to keep going.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Road looks very busy. Here's a blast from my past:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep Brad, that's St Andrews Road....and yes, that's the MV you did the last service on...still running sweet mate.:rockon

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your S4 sounds sweet Phil, but anything with "Foggy" written on it is an instant turnoff.......hate that twat.:woot:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts