Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I came very close to doing something even worse than that once...and only once.

I had just started racing my ZX-6R and I did not have a trailer. I had the brilliant idea to rent a U-Haul truck with one of the self-storing ramps tucked behind the truck. Apparently this was in the days before "easy load" truck bed heights, etc.

I extended the ramp and I can tell you...from where I was with the bike...it looked really steep, and really narrow...because it was. My idiotic plan was to ride the bike up the ramp in 1st gear, because after all...I was a racer and had "mad skilz". The ramp also had a washboard surface and probably wasn't the best surface for traction...especially considering the ramp angle.

Doing my best impression of Evil Knievel, I approached the ramp at about 10 mph, feet on the pegs. Instead of looking into the back of the truck, target fixation took over, and I started looking at the ramp as I got closer because...I was scared of dumping the bike at the top. I just barely carried enough speed up the ramp, and as I got near the top, it looked as if I might not have enough speed to clear the threshold without putting me feet down. Only then did I realize that the ramp was so narrow, that I couldn't even see where to put my feet down if I had to. Instinct took over and I gunned it just enough to fly into the truck and slam on the brakes. Duh.

Then, of course, there was the issue of off loading at the track and then loading back up. Bottom line, I was able to easily run down the ramp to off load, and at the end of the weekend, I parked the truck near a berm and reduced the ramp angle so that there were no issues. After that, I rented a trailer until I could afford to get one of my own.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Where was he planning on running once the bike reached the ramp ?!:wacky Some people are just too dumb to own a bike . The bimbo giggling is priceless .

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where was he planning on running once the bike reached the ramp ?!:wacky Some people are just too dumb to own a bike . The bimbo giggling is priceless .
he might extend his arms... just like inspector Gadget.:wacky

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
^ LOL , just what I was thinking . I guess he and the bigger guy couldn't just push/pull the damn bike up ; anybody can do it the right way ! Too bad as the bike looked in decent shape .

·
Registered
545 Posts
Pretty ridiculous video. The girl laughing was beyond reproach.........:mad:
my wife would never do that! Then again she knows how obsessed with bikes I can be. Oh well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts