Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well what a day it was. 236 miles later it's finally over. I went for the '05 GSXR750 this morning and my local dealer tried for 2 hours to get me one stateside even called a few places in Al. No go no one was giving them up. Then he tells me he would not take my DRZ400 as a sacrificial trade. I left, called the ass dealer 90 miles away, stopped in at noon, they looked at my new DRZ400, huddled and gave me the verdict $2000 for a new DRZ400S in mint condition, I laughed and said no deal, walked out! All they had was friggin yeller one anyway. Got on the phone called another dealer 75 miles away to the west. Said he had a blue and white one for $8845 + 7% tax. I said I have a trade he said we'll look at it when you get here. I hauled ass, they closed in 2 hours plus his 750 was still in the crate. I arrive, they offer me a coke, AC feels good in the building, everyone is smiles, manager comes over and goes to look at the DRZ, says I'll give you book, $2665 I said I wanted $2865, he says after a moment of silence you want to split the difference I said sure why not. Let me get my checkbook out of the truck. Oh by the way they have your bike almost ready walk on back, I clear the door and good god all mighty it is blue and white but it is a LIMITED!!!! Oh shit not what I wanted but since your giving it to me for $63 bucks less than the regular one cost I'll take it. I'm so happy I can't contain myself in front of them. So basically I got a Limited 20th year anniversary GSXR750 for the cost of the regular GSXR750 OTD, I'll take it!!!!
Wrote him a check and we loaded it up. Damn it is fine!! nice gel seat blue of course, frame sliders, carbon fiber front fender, tinted wind screen, blue linked RK chain, limited stamped (not glued on) plaque on the triple, #2541) cool muffler, nice looking vented brake rotors and that funky '85 blue paint scheme,,,I like it the more I look at it. Only problem I feel guilty even thining of tracking it, damn I knew this would happen. Deal was to good to let go it was fate!! I was a poor sum-bitch in '85 and could not afford a GSXR750 lusted after it, drooled over the magazines. Ended up with a '95 the 10th year model then a '97 then the 600's craze started in '01. I deserve this 20th like nobody else!

To top it off I get a Free AMA Kahuna VIP pass to Road Atlanta this year with a fan ride on the track (With Kevin Schwantz heading the pack). Nothing big for me I've raced the track many times but just the experience is okay by me. Also includes me to the VIP dining hall in the Suzuki zone, that'll be nice maybe me and Mladin can talk shop////
To be on a Limited makes it even more special.

Anway here it is in living color, WARNING if your allergic to the color blue don't look down.

My camera is a POS time for a new one!!!

BTW I have only rode it from the front door of the shop to the loading ramp maybe 75 feet. I have plenty of time to ride it tomorrow. I came home and went over it with a fine tooth comb. I still can't see me racing it, in a way I'm happy but in a way I'm sad.

Modified by BALLS at 9:27 PM 6/19/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (BALLS)

hey concrats with the new bike. me likey. as for your drz i would have given you the 2865. hell i would have given you 3000$

nice bike and the blue aint so bad it kinda grows on ya. enjoy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (oneducs)

nice bike. i like the retro paint, and the blue seat. good work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (oneducs)

Cool bike, sounds like you got a good deal on it. I'm sure you could go out and do some track days on it and have some fun. But if you end up wanting to get back into racing... Hmm. I don't think I would do it on that bike.

If you get the urge, and you haven't become attached to the LTD., you could probably find a used regular '05 GSXR for cheap to race, and sell the LTD. for a pretty decent price, and you'll come out ahead on the deal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (AZ Scott)

pretty gixxer
welcome to the family again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Congrats Balls, great story and a beautiful bike. I see exactly what you are saying though, I don't think I could take something like a 20th and race it either. You could track day it, but that's not racing. Let us know what you decide to do, I'm glad I don't have the decision and wish I did all at the same time.

BTW I had an 86 GSXR 750 back in the day and I don't miss it, either it was beyond tire technology at the time or something, but it was kind of evil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (Phil 998)

[envy] Oh, I like it ! [/envy]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (BMWHP)

Good story
and congrats!!!

I like the paint myself

Get some sharkskinz and go race
or go buy that yeller one and race it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (brettmess24)

Roy, I'd park it next to the Katana and hang on to it for a while.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (TLSer)

Nice bike!

Perfect track/race bike... Tell us how the new disks are at speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (900CR)

That was a great story. Almost makes me want to shop around for a new bike

hope you enjoy it dude.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (Metcalfe)

It might have been cool if Suzuki had used the original GSXR750 Ltd. Edition as a basis for the new one...

But then again, this was a 1986 model, so maybe next year they'll have a surprise for us!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (AZ Scott)

Congratulations
Very nice bike

But I'm partial to that color scheme.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phil 998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BTW I had an 86 GSXR 750 back in the day and I don't miss it, either it was beyond tire technology at the time or something, but it was kind of evil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

After taking my time machine for a 100 mile ride this morning............
I tend to agree with you.....it's evil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Well I rode it finally today. Put 151 miles on it a tank of gas. 1st 75 miles were rather tame and within the guidelines stated by the manual. The rest I stepped it up a bit and ran it briskly through the gears. I let it cool today many times today or I would have logged more miles. I beleive heat cycles do more good than true riding. I rode with all 600's today, two were racebikes with a brake light. 2 600RR's and a GSXR600. All I can say is the 750 will walk away from them and I have not even ran it hard yet
Stock suspension is,,,well stock, not very compliant. Stock Dunflop D218's flat ass suck had them on the '04 600. Beyond those two minor things it is a well built package. Ran flawless, the FI is damn near perfect, the intake growl is to die for and the looks that people give you on it are priceless. I was a bit cramped on it but that was to be expected since I have not been on a sportbike in 10 months. It ain't no V-Strom that is for sure.

I have made up my mind I will not race it. It's just to nice a bike to take a chance on screwing it up. I will do limited trackdays on it. I plan on maybe doing the Nesba trackday July 9th at Barber with the guys I rode with today. They are regular Nesba runners. I'll just keep my head on straight and not get caught up in any on track pissing contest. I have to do some things to it in the meantime to pass Nesba's tech. Not sure what level I will start in I have not raced since last July at Road Atlanta as a 600 expert but I still feel fairly quick so I don't want to be stuck in a street class with those ego driven control riders.

Suspension has me concerned more now than anything the stock stuff just ain't cuttin it. I plan to do a little fiddling with it now that it has some time on it but I don't see much room for improvement. That will be my 1st money spent. I just don't want to get to caught up in this like I did before.

The 750 power is all but perfect. Plenty of low end and yet it still screams as the rpms' rise. They have leaped in technology since the last one I owned in '97.
It is not quite as agile as the '04 600 was especially in the transition type stuff some of that could be that crappy ass Dunflop on the front.

I'm a happy camper right now!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (PAduc)

Wow, what a beautiful example of an original GSXR. Mine had the original tires and they were crap. The thing would spin the rear tire while it was in a wheelie. It was also very sensitive to brake inputs, if I used any brake while turning the bike would just stand up. We went together off road once because of it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (900CR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 900CR »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice bike!

Perfect track/race bike... Tell us how the new disks are at speed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly they must be looks only I could not feel anything different verses the '04 600 I had which had the same front claipers and radial master cylinder. They do look cool!

Braided lines will be in the future.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Done deal but I am not sure it was the right deal (PAduc)

PADuc that is one fine bike you have there one look at it and I took a little walk down memory lane

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

that thing really needs white wheels

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BALLS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I rode it finally today. Put 151 miles on it a tank of gas. 1st 75 miles were rather tame and within the guidelines stated by the manual. The rest I stepped it up a bit and ran it briskly through the gears. I let it cool today many times today or I would have logged more miles. I beleive heat cycles do more good than true riding. I rode with all 600's today, two were racebikes with a brake light. 2 600RR's and a GSXR600. All I can say is the 750 will walk away from them and I have not even ran it hard yet
Stock suspension is,,,well stock, not very compliant. Stock Dunflop D218's flat ass suck had them on the '04 600. Beyond those two minor things it is a well built package. Ran flawless, the FI is damn near perfect, the intake growl is to die for and the looks that people give you on it are priceless. I was a bit cramped on it but that was to be expected since I have not been on a sportbike in 10 months. It ain't no V-Strom that is for sure.

I have made up my mind I will not race it. It's just to nice a bike to take a chance on screwing it up. I will do limited trackdays on it. I plan on maybe doing the Nesba trackday July 9th at Barber with the guys I rode with today. They are regular Nesba runners. I'll just keep my head on straight and not get caught up in any on track pissing contest. I have to do some things to it in the meantime to pass Nesba's tech. Not sure what level I will start in I have not raced since last July at Road Atlanta as a 600 expert but I still feel fairly quick so I don't want to be stuck in a street class with those ego driven control riders.

Suspension has me concerned more now than anything the stock stuff just ain't cuttin it. I plan to do a little fiddling with it now that it has some time on it but I don't see much room for improvement. That will be my 1st money spent. I just don't want to get to caught up in this like I did before.

The 750 power is all but perfect. Plenty of low end and yet it still screams as the rpms' rise. They have leaped in technology since the last one I owned in '97.
It is not quite as agile as the '04 600 was especially in the transition type stuff some of that could be that crappy ass Dunflop on the front.

I'm a happy camper right now!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's suppose to be one of the better "Stock" suspensions out there... :) I'm shocked at my new 999. While it's showa I've been able to get it dialed in for the street. I'm sure it will be way too soft for track.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts