Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
South Texan
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well jeep grand cherokee is 7 years old, well over 100k miles and i have been having to do some costly repairs to keep it going the last couple month and yesterday the auto tranny wouldnt shift out of first.

been looking at getting a new f-150 and my friend works at the dealership and got his manager to drop the price to 27k on a 2005 fx4, 4-door, i guess every option but a dvd and moon roof. i think thats a good price whatta ya think?

so if you have one what do you think about it? any problems, cheap materials, shitty ride, wierd noises, etc...

or if you know of a place that has a better deal in Texas let me know also.

thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
not that you are considering it but i have an 02 avalanche which is absolutely the best vehicle i have ever owned.

the plastic body armor is awesome although some people think they are ugly, the look will grow on its owners (it did me :)

the bed covers remove individually - the bed is big enough to put the bike in when the tailgate is down and already has tie down hooks and a bedliner installed.

there are 2 storage boxes that double as coolers on the sides that i am always using for something.

and the cab is huge - it rides and handles awesome

65K miles and not a single problem

only thing i will do when i buy another one is opt for the bench seats in the front because when you drop the 'midgate' you lose the rear seats and so you can only carry 2 people with the captains chairs.

i was the first one to buy one at my work when they came out and everyone was chipping with their negative opinions etc etc etc

now 4 other people have them :)

definitely worth checking into :twocents

ll

·
Registered
161 Posts
i talk to plenty of customers at work who have the newest generation F-150s.nobody seems to have any complaints.same goes for the 99+ Silverados.i think either would be a great choice for a light duty pickup.both seem to hold up well,and are as quality built as Domestic vehicles get:woot: .the Nissan Titans and Toyota Tundras are also extremely nice,and i'm very impressed with them.i'd say between those four it comes down to personal preference,and price.
that price seems pretty reasonable.we have an '05 FX4 4-door with the same option package as a demo truck,and i know it cost more than the price you're getting.
i'd steer away from the newest Dodges.i see a lot of tranny,rear end and just general wear problems with them on the light duty series.

chris

·
Registered
203 Posts
We've only seen them for oil changes and maintenance stuff so far, they are pretty new no real problems yet. One thing I noticed though is the power steering pump is super noisy on the new ones.

I would rather go for a new style Ram, they are built much better. The ford is still a disaster to work on, but it probably isn't a factor for you, just us poor trolls that are fixing them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey might check that TPS sensor for the tranny on that cherokee. Its a known problem with them. Hell of alot cheaper than taking it to a tranny shop and letting them do it for you.

TPS sensor goes bad and will not tell the tranny to upshift. Hope that gets you some higher trade in.:rockon :rockon

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Ram built better than the Ford???:eek: My buddy has a Ram and it is the biggest POS I've ever ridden. My other buddy has a new F150 and there's no comparison in my (and both of their) opinions. That being said, we went to the track and pulled four bikes with the Ram today and I believe we must have had a fuel leak or something, because I could have swore I seen the gas needle moving.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
RC51999 said:
The Ram built better than the Ford???:eek: My buddy has a Ram and it is the biggest POS I've ever ridden. My other buddy has a new F150 and there's no comparison in my (and both of their) opinions. That being said, we went to the track and pulled four bikes with the Ram today and I believe we must have had a fuel leak or something, because I could have swore I seen the gas needle moving.:rolleyes:
i've got to agree-read my post above...aside from the build quality/reliability problems i see customers having with the newest Dodges,i'd forgotten about the mileage issue.the Chevys seem to get slightly better mileage than the Fords,and the Dodges get horrible mileage.
i'm unbiased-i hate all domestic cars:woot: .i'm speaking from experience talking to owners and driving their vehicles.it's bad when Dodge owners rag on their own trucks-they've got to be the proudest owners out there(that whole "Sweet,Hemi"/you're a badass if you drive a Ram ad campaign really worked).
chris

·
Registered
150 Posts
As for the pricing Ford is doing the family plan which is almost as cheap as employe pricing This ends soon so jump on it if you are going to go for it.
I just happen to work as a mechanic for Ford and have seen very few problems with the new body style, The new 3 valve 5.4 motor makes great power, and they drive nice the only driving issue I have with them is looking over your shoulder to back up through the rear window sucks but they compensatee with good mirrors. If I had the extra scratch I would pick one up. And I see the shitty side of all the Ford products.

·
Registered
203 Posts
TeamNextGenChris said:
i'm unbiased-i hate all domestic cars:woot: .
So do I. Thats more a function of the fact that I am fixing them all day long at work.

All I said is that the dodge is built nicer than the ford, I didn't say it was more reliable or better on fuel. From a mechanics point of view I'd rather do most any repair on a dodge pickup than on a ford.

·
Registered
161 Posts
the humungus said:
All I said is that the dodge is built nicer than the ford, I didn't say it was more reliable or better on fuel. From a mechanics point of view I'd rather do most any repair on a dodge pickup than on a ford.
cool,i understand what you mean now.the Fords do have a mess of wiring and hoses under the hood-very cluttered looking.
Chris

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have a 2004 1500 crew cab chevy,21 MPG ,bet the fords or dodges dont get that.:twocents

·
Registered
76 Posts
i'm in the same boat as you are, really like the look of those new f-150's, but i havn't found nearly as good of a price as you were quoted, at least now i know what kind of hardball i can play with them. on another note, my brother just bought an '05 sierra 1500, and like was said, he gets pretty good fuel mileage for a truck.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
I considered the F150's but then I came to my senses and bought a real truck:

Although considering what I payed for it $27k for a F150 sounds pretty good about now.

·
South Texan
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
g-man said:
I considered the F150's but then I came to my senses and bought a real truck:

Although considering what I payed for it $27k for a F150 sounds pretty good about now.
haha, thats to much truck for what i need, but it sure does look pruty :rockon .

i was looking at getting a tacoma thinking they would be cheaper, but there the same damn price. and you dont get near the options or size or power then you do with the ford. i looked at the z71s also but to get one with similar options is several more grand. i talked with my friend tonight and he said that he could probably get them to throw in a spray in bed liner and/or some other kind of dealer add ons for free. i really have been wanting a new truck for some time, but i really really like not having payments.

·
Registered
186 Posts
KevinTX said:
well jeep grand cherokee is 7 years old, well over 100k miles and i have been having to do some costly repairs to keep it going the last couple month and yesterday the auto tranny wouldnt shift out of first.

been looking at getting a new f-150 and my friend works at the dealership and got his manager to drop the price to 27k on a 2005 fx4, 4-door, i guess every option but a dvd and moon roof. i think thats a good price whatta ya think?

so if you have one what do you think about it? any problems, cheap materials, shitty ride, wierd noises, etc...

or if you know of a place that has a better deal in Texas let me know also.

thanks.
be glad to pass on a pin number to see if you can beat the price given,not sure if it will help,sounds like your getting a good price but hey every dollar helps! [email protected]

·
South Texan
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dadrc51 said:
be glad to pass on a pin number to see if you can beat the price given,not sure if it will help,sounds like your getting a good price but hey every dollar helps! [email protected]
whats a pin number?

hey my buddy is from Jeffersonville also.

·
Registered
186 Posts
KevinTX said:
whats a pin number?

hey my buddy is from Jeffersonville also.
sorry i should have explained it better. i call ford employee services,ask for a pin number,for you,you get the friends and family price. not sure if it'll beat the price you have,if it would id be happy to help. this offer is for anyone here thats intrested. about a month and a half ago would have been the ideal time to buy,a-plan price plus all of the goodies to boot.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Yup, 20" wheels are available from Ford as part of the chrome package (toe hooks, mirror caps, grill). It was the main reason I went with an 06 instead of an 05 with the additional $2,500 rebate.

A-plan pricing was the reason I bought this truck over a GM Duramax diesel. Ford offered A-Plan pricing (Ford corporate employee pricing; until the offer even dealer employees were only eligible for D-plan pricing which is slightly higher). GM only offered employee pricing on 05 vehicles, 06's weren't eligible. The Ford A-Plan pricing cut $9k off sticker on this truck.

Better hurry though, A-Plan pricing ends today and your dealer will not be able to offer the price he quoted to you once the A-Plan pricing is over. Even though Ford has extended it previously I wouldn't count on it happening again. The PIN DADRC51 is offering will allow you to get D-Plan pricing at any time though so be sure and take him up on the offer if you can't make the deal happen today.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts