Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
They are too clean, plus you can see small pits/damage to both the heads and pistons from smashing dirt/debris and carbon into each other. I would say that there is zero piston to head clearance.

Brian Brown

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for your thoughtful conjecture

Gentleman, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Metro_Duc - those who know me call me Tom. It would be my distinct pleasure to reply to your postings. I will do so in reverse order.

First, as to why I am selling. I am selling because that is what I do, Desmoworks. Anyone with half a brain would have figured that out after a brief look at my ebay feedback. Apparently you are a bit challenged.

Second, as to why there were no close up pics of the pistons. Frankly, Stick, it was because I already had so many pictures in there that I just got lazy. Rest assured that the listing has been updated with additional pics.

Which leaves the best for last. Fog_Duc and Brad_Black, I am sure that your technical knowledge and expertise when it comes to Ducati Superbikes far exceeds mine, but I daresay that the two of you combined don't even come close to the level of knowledge possessed by Jason at Section8Superbike, the guy who built the motor (see attached receipt). If you have a problem with the way the engine was assembled, perhaps you should call him and let him know that he is doing it wrong.

The facts are that the motor was was built by Section8 and was putting out 124hp when disassembled, and I have the paperwork to prove it. Thank you all for your thoughful conjecture.

Metro_Duc

Attachments

·
Long Time/First Time
27 Posts
Just a comment for Metro Duc - I appreciate your need to respond to (what appear to be) mistaken assumptions, but if you are as right as you say, I think you undermine yourself with sarcasm and a generally snide tone.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Metro_Duc said:
Which leaves the best for last. Fog_Duc and Brad_Black, I am sure that your technical knowledge and expertise when it comes to Ducati Superbikes far exceeds mine, but I daresay that the two of you combined don't even come close to the level of knowledge possessed by Jason at Section8Superbike, the guy who built the motor (see attached receipt).
Wow Metro Duc nice first post. :mad: Damn dude, relax. I hope you like the taste of feet, cause I'm sure even jason, who is a member of this board, will tell you how wrong you are with the statement you made above. Just for a little fun why don't you check out Brad's performance notebook. Not really much knowledge there.:wacky

Feet always taste better with a little hot sauce:woot::D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jager,

Thanks for the info. Apologies to Brad_Black for impugning your manhood, but the fact remains that the motor ran strong as hell right up until the time it was disassembled 2 weeks ago.

BTW, this is not my first post - it is, however, my first post since the site was moved to the new host. Regards, gentlemen.

Metro_Duc

·
Registered
423 Posts
Good job on putting bigger pics up, you will probably get more bids. See this post helped you see that there was some misconceptions/questions about your item, which adding bigger pictures would help to solve. ;)

Good luck, hope you get the price you are looking for.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'll I am going to say is, outside of rough texture of the pistons, this is how the squish should be set. All of the flame of the combustion chamber is centered right in the middle of the piston. One of the best ways to tell is just to look at the piston top when you pull a motor apart. It's the easiest way to tell if you got your money worth. You want nothing burning slowly in those nooks during the combustion process.

Oxygenated fuels will give an aluminum head or piston that semi rough look. Just without the carbon build up. That's not the case here. With that much carbon crud in the head, and floating around the squish area, a good valve lapping is in order to clean up the valve seats.

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
I am the only one who's REAL interested in knowing how that set of 996 heads is gonna fit a 748/916? Methinks the stud spacing difference will need the cases to be sent to Veetwo and also required a set of cylinders, right?

EDIT: ...oh, and my opinion is similar to Hyper above - I don't see any signs of piston/head contact, and that squish looked like it was set right - but that is something that needs resetting if you transplant these heads to another 996.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm going to side with Brad and Fog Duc.

Here are pix of my horz piston/head after 10,000 miles, with the squish set to a very agressive .86mm.

Notice how the deposits and burn are different from intake to exhaust as the piston rocks through the stroke.

The deposit edges on Metro_Duc's pistons are so sharp, they look like they got punched through a cookie-cutter.

Semi rough looks normal? WTF? Where?

(Don't mind the little marks on the valve pockets. That's the reason you get to see these pix--snapped a idler pulley on the way to Laguna Seca :rolleyes: )

http://users.adelphia.net/~infoage1/ducati_034_squish.html

·
5,671 Posts
Wow! That IS aggressive with the stock rods, Tom. What rev ceiling are you using?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Old Baldy said:
Wow! That IS aggressive with the stock rods, Tom. What rev ceiling are you using?
My rev-limit is 10,500+, but I think the only time I went up there with this squish, was to check for piston/head contact after the first couple thousand miles. I bounced it a few times under full load and then pulled a head. Looked the same as today.

I normally shift under 10,000. Not that it won't continue to pull higher :D

·
5,671 Posts
You must have a very tight reign on the bottom-end bearing clearances :)

I'm not as "adventurous" - and will be setting my squish to 0.95MM this winter, with Carillos. I've been known to forget to watch the revs on the Duc on the track though, after so many years of screaming multis - these V-twins just don't sound like they're spinning that high :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so how do you get 996 cylinders and pistons onto a 748 or 916 metro? i must be a real fucking dumbarse because i can't see a way. must really piss you off that the people you badmouthed actually know what they're talking about.

i was just asking what anyone else thought, given that i wasn't really sure. don't really care either way.

·
2,737 Posts
A definate clobber job on the heads/pistons. Better xray the rods and pistons and put bottom end bearings in it. And oh god, look at the corrosion in the cooling passages. A lot of galvanic action with a quite acidic coolant.

Must have been straight water in there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts