Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting ready to buy a new jacket and back protector and there is no local shop to try this on at so i am wondering if i should go one size up with a the protector. thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: does a back protecter make a difference in selecting a jacket size? (KevinTX)

You have to remove the foam back protector out of the jacket to make it work
and what ever size you normaly wear should be just fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: does a back protecter make a difference in selecting a jacket size? (twotone)

I wear a Bohn Pro back protector most of the time and it does not take up any extra room in my jacket.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: does a back protecter make a difference in selecting a jacket size? (KevinTX)

Get the back protector first and then try on the jacket OR just grab another back protector to try on at the sametime.

BUT really Kevin, a riding suit is way better than just a jacket

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tai, i have had some one pieces before but they never fit right. always really baggy in the legs and tight in the chest. so i got a a-stars two piece that i had to mix and match different sizes to get a good fit. so when i say jacket i mean one to zip into my pants.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (KevinTX)

I have a brand new AGV 1 piece that I just bought with one of those racing/speed humps built into the back of it. Does that take the place of a back protector?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Red Thunder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red Thunder »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a brand new AGV 1 piece that I just bought with one of those racing/speed humps built into the back of it. Does that take the place of a back protector?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no. most of the humps quit mid-back. you need something to protect your entire spine down to your tailbone.

http://www.newenough.com just had a 7-panel Joe Rocket back protector for $49 on closeout. Just found out about it yesterday - but it doesn't appear to be on their site today.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (5150)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5150 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no. most of the humps quit mid-back. you need something to protect your entire spine down to your tailbone.

http://www.newenough.com just had a 7-panel Joe Rocket back protector for $49 on closeout. Just found out about it yesterday - but it doesn't appear to be on their site today. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks, The cheapest I've been able to find here locally is about $120 for a Dainese. But I've found them cheaper on Ebay. Still need to get some boots though before I get her on the track.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Highvelocitygear.com has some good stuff at low prices. Note that their cert. level and energy transfer amounts are much better than most other protectors except the real expensive ones.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a Dainese...it's a great back protector, but the biggest problem is that the top of it rides up into the upper neck area, sometimes interfering with the back of my neck. Get something that broadens out at the top along the shoulders so you don't have the same problem.
As for fitting, most back protectors don't take up that much room in the jacket. It's really the difference in tightness between one Big Mac or two in your stomach! Your jacket should be snug anyways to ensure that if/when you go down, the jacket won't twist on you and cause rug burns to your skin. A correct fit of any sportbike riding jacket should be like a second skin. I tell all my friends "it should be snug enough to hold all your body parts in if you crash". Scary but true.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (KevinTX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KevinTX »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tai, i have had some one pieces before but they never fit right. always really baggy in the legs and tight in the chest. so i got a a-stars two piece that i had to mix and match different sizes to get a good fit. so when i say jacket i mean one to zip into my pants. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I see. Then you should try the jacket with the back protector cause it will make a small enough difference to you the rider. Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
T-Forcefield is the highest rated back protector out there currently. It has no hard or metal, aluminum, etc. made into it that will injur you just as much as the fall. I did alot research on this before I bought one last year and I have also tested unfortunatey, two thumbs up.

But to also your question Kev, you shouldn't have a problem with sizing, like someone stated above, just remove the foam that is there and carry on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts