Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way back home from Home Repo I came upon a bad scene.....some car turned left across a six line road into a shopping center....did not see the guy on the bike...which t-boned the car so hard it caved it in on the passenger side.....laying on the ground just on the other side of the car was the guy's chrome brain-bucket which he apparently did not figure he needed to fasten seeing as how he was just toodling down the road....so after his brain-bucket flew off, he had no headgear.....I presume he did not make it as the ambulance leaving the scene was not tearing down the road like it was a matter of life or death.....bike looked like a Sportster.

Remember guys....no matter how safe you are riding, someone is trying to kill you through their inattention or carelessness. Cars are your enemy, don't ever forget it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Disturbing sight (roadkill)

I am turning in my tag and dropping my insurance.

Turning my 999 into track-only.

This kind of shit been happening too ofthen around here lately, and riding on the street is boring now that i've done several track days.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Disturbing sight (jbraslins)

I gave up the street some time ago. Still want to go out and ride but I wait and do track days only. It's no fun on the street after the track, I agree.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Disturbing sight (jbraslins)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbraslins »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am turning in my tag and dropping my insurance.

Turning my 999 into track-only.

This kind of shit been happening too ofthen around here lately, and riding on the street is boring now that i've done several track days.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm constantly struggling with this decision, especially with a new track only 45 min. away, with STT and NESBA each having a handful of track days each there.

For me, I have to say why bother with the street. The only time I'm really getting any satisfaction, I'm risking a triple digit ticket, sliding into a ditch on some fools coolant / oil / whatever, or getting cut off by some dink talking on the phone.

Contrast that with a day of pure riding at the track. Suns out, canopy is up, good people around and they're all going in the same direction. Usually alot faster than me, but I still have a blast.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Disturbing sight (JamesP)

I needed a trailer for the Section8 track day and a guy I work with offered his (he rides four wheelers). He had never seen a bike race, track day, or anything so I invitied him to come along. The next work day he came into my office and said "ya know, I could see you doing a bunch of track days a year and never riding on the street again. On the street you can't ride anywhere near a level of fun on that bike like you did on the track." I rode yesterday and it was more of a pain in the ass than fun. I seem to be getting closer to track only myself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't been on the street for 8 years now, except for 2 days to break in my last race bike, and that scared the crap out of me. My current bike was broke in on the dyno...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re:

I tried to quit the street riding altogether, but I can't break the addiction... There are just too many nice days & curvy roads out there not to go riding on plus it only costs me the price of fuel for a full days worth of riding.

I certainly enjoy the track time more, but I just can't get the proper fix with the limited amount of track days & expense for them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: (LDH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LDH »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I tried to quit the street riding altogether, but I can't break the addiction... There are just too many nice days & curvy roads out there not to go riding on plus it only costs me the price of fuel for a full days worth of riding.

I certainly enjoy the track time more, but I just can't get the proper fix with the limited amount of track days & expense for them.</TD></TR></TABLE>
+1...... Plus the fact most of us riders are truck owners. All trucks suck on gas compared to a 1000, even with a modified engine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: (SP8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbraslins »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and riding on the street is boring now that i've done several track days.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duc1036 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I gave up the street some time ago. It's no fun on the street after the track, I agree.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JamesP »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For me, I have to say why bother with the street. The only time I'm really getting any satisfaction, I'm risking a triple digit ticket </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phil 998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> On the street you can't ride anywhere near a level of fun on that bike like you did on the track." I rode yesterday and it was more of a pain in the ass than fun. QUOTE]

Hi-Side said:
I haven't been on the street for 8 years now
...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Riding on the track IS great, but I think if you limit yourself to that alone, you lose the whole reason for why most people started riding in the first place.

I hope no one here has any idea of taking your car to the track.......How would you get to work? The bus?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: (PAduc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PAduc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I hope no one here has any idea of taking your car to the track.......How would you get to work? The bus? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I ride to work. My truck barley leaves the driveway if it's not snowing.

Modified by MNwilly at 10:14 PM 5/29/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: (PAduc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PAduc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hope no one here has any idea of taking your car to the track.......How would you get to work? The bus? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess my 1990 LeSabre has a touch lower limits than my 998. I don't feel real compelled to take the Buick to a track.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Re: (Phil 998)

I used to ride to work every day (sometimes in rain).

But now, that we moved office, the road to new place is a huge traffic jam in the mornings.

I tried it twice .. both times my clutch hand was KILLING ME by the time i got to work. I was hot, tired, uncomfortable .. and it's just no fun at all.

If there were some less traveled twisty roads on the way to work, i'd surely try those, but there are not any.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Re: (jbraslins)

the track is definitely more fun and safer but I agree, just can't get my fix with a limited amount of track time. Plus, nothing like a nice laid back summer evening ride in the foothills, I don't think I'd trade that for all the safety in the world.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts