Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost ate shit on the way to work today. My emergency braking response really disturbed me. I have to figure out how to overcome this response and do it right.

I was making a quick dash around a large truck that pulled out from a side street and decided to do 20 in my lane. Feeling comfortable and trying to "enjoy a ride" before my short trip to work ended, I gunned it and whipped around the truck. As soon as I was back in my lane...I'm guessing doing about 60 or so by now, an oncoming car decides to turn left in front of me about 200 meters away.

After riding my whole life, having several close calls and 1 crash, my reaction was still to stop on the rear brake and not even touch the front brake.
over?

My rear locked up for about 2 seconds before my logical side kicked in. 2 second slide, little jitterbug, then brain said "punch it, lean it, and go around his backside" which I did and made it around.

2 minutes later I'm telling myself,
was that? Why did you hit the rear brake?

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: disturbing reaction (Red900SS)

Glad you can tell us about it !!! Try a track school, you will have to rely on the front brake. It should become ingrained in your head that max stopping power comes from the front. Did you learn to ride on dirt??? It took a while for me to break the "stomp on the rear brake" dirt riding habit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
disconnect the rear brake, or put some air in the line and/or drill some holes in the rotor. It won't lock up then

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

There's two bits of good news. (1) You didn't wad and (2) You know your mistake.

Before I posted I stopped and thought about how you might practice training yourself to solve this problem, and all I could think of was to take the bike to a parking lot and do some drills. Maybe get a buddy to randomly wave a flag or something, and when he does you practice braking using only the front.

It also might help to train yourself to always cover the front brake lever with two fingers. This might help to keep your mind on the front, and will give you a head start when that lever needs to be squeezed.

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

huh thats strange, you ride cruisers a bunch or it is more likely a reaction carried over from the cage. Hit the local parking lots when they are empty, mark a line somewhere on the pavement or use a spot/cone as a reference point (mark sure there is a good distance after the line/point) and pratice braking to a stop after you pass the line. Slight pull on the front to 'set it' (like a half-second), then start the hard braking on the front. Use the rear, but taper it off as you increase pressure on the front brake. Try not to do your best kellin winslow impression.

You can also bring a friend and run the drill like they use at the DMV licence test. Have a square about the size of a car outline (chalk, cones, etc) on the pavement. Your friend should be standing out of the way, but in your viewing range, with three signs. One with a stop sign (or the word stop), another with a left arrow and the last one with a right arrow. Start driving towards the 'car' at around 25 mph and have your friend hold one of the signs up when you get to a certain point (mark that point too I guess). You do what the sign reads, panic stop for stop, swerve left for the left arrow and right for the right arrow. If your swerve path or stop line takes you into the car...well you know. Then try bumping the speed up a bit(might need to move the line back).

Also...have you taken the MSF course yet, if not do it. Only a $100.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: disturbing reaction (jager)

I see Mike is still Pimping his rides !!

My holy rotor,

Modified by Taildragger at 11:54 AM 7/8/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Try for the next, ohhh, forever. Keep your right toes on the peg and ONLY use

the front brake (excepting maybe gravel or something). Just get in the habit of

relying on your front brake. I went through 7 sets of front pads on the SV, still

had the originals on the rear. I never use the rear except for VERY slow speed control,

Like u-turns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: disturbing reaction (svmango)

I used to have the same problem, actually had an accident because I panicked, locked up the rear, and couldn't brake enough to avoid a vehicle (was cut off into a lane of stopped traffic on the highway)

anyways like the last message said, make it a point to keep your toes or ball of your foot on the peg, don't hover your foot over the lever or it'll go there regardless. I gradually gained confidence in my front and now I only use my rear brake when at stop lights in neutral stretching or when riding in rain/dirt roads (weather never stops me :p)

important thing is you kept it up and suffered nothing but a good lesson :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: disturbing reaction (dj_wawa)

I had the opposite problem on a dirtbike a couple years ago. Lost the front brake (as in lever to the bar and nothin happens) and I crashed pumping the front brake the entire time, never even thought "hey this thing has a rear brake too." guess it was because I started riding on sportbikes. Either way is a handicap. I agree with sv on never using the rear brake in normal conditions but it sure does suck when you ride off the track into gravel or lose the front brake and you dont even think about the rear. Practice both.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: disturbing reaction (seldom57)

I honestly didn't know that Ducati made rear brakes....

Mine hasn't functioned in quite sometime, and when it did, it was weak.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like to pratice emengrcy stops every time I ride. I don't really go over 120 mph on the street. so therefore I pull up to 120 mph and then come to a safe stop as if so one has pulled out in front of me. Since I satated this I feel much more comfortable during heavy braking.
pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (patman)

Love the rear brake disc LDH. Nice piece of work. I use to drill holes in everything to trim down weight as we were still modifying stock street irons for dirt of road racing in late '48 to early '51 when one could possibly order a dirt comp bike or a road racer if they forked out 75% of the bike before the special bike would be ordered.

Yes it did sound as if he rode dirt or else a cruiser in the past. Still going to said yrs mentioned above so many were "rear brake end artists" & rarely touched the front brake though single cam drum brakes were lacking a bit considered to what we have these days. LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: disturbing reaction (jager)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jager »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">huh thats strange, you ride cruisers a bunch or it is more likely a reaction carried over from the cage. Hit the local parking lots when they are empty, mark a line somewhere on the pavement or use a spot/cone as a reference point (mark sure there is a good distance after the line/point) and pratice braking to a stop after you pass the line. Slight pull on the front to 'set it' (like a half-second), then start the hard braking on the front. Use the rear, but taper it off as you increase pressure on the front brake. Try not to do your best kellin winslow impression.

You can also bring a friend and run the drill like they use at the DMV licence test. Have a square about the size of a car outline (chalk, cones, etc) on the pavement. Your friend should be standing out of the way, but in your viewing range, with three signs. One with a stop sign (or the word stop), another with a left arrow and the last one with a right arrow. Start driving towards the 'car' at around 25 mph and have your friend hold one of the signs up when you get to a certain point (mark that point too I guess). You do what the sign reads, panic stop for stop, swerve left for the left arrow and right for the right arrow. If your swerve path or stop line takes you into the car...well you know. Then try bumping the speed up a bit(might need to move the line back).

Also...have you taken the MSF course yet, if not do it. Only a $100.</TD></TR></TABLE>

please find a beater bike to practice on and dont hit your friend

1 - 14 of 14 Posts