Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a lot of good things about Sportbike Track Time, so i purchased a membership and did first event with them ..... and it roally sucked.

First of all, for some f#%ked up reason, they had only one ambulance there. All other organizations (and even STT itself according to some of the control riders) always have two.

So basically, we spent almost 3 hours of the day waiting for that thing to come back from it's hospital trips.

Then what the hell up with the $5 gate fee? They've charged 2 of my guests too. I am yet to be to any event where you have to pay extra after you've purchased you track day. It's not like we came in 3 vehicles or were planning on camping. I've been to VIR many times with other orgs, and never had to pay a dime at the gate.

Overall, it sucked. Me no likey. Very disappointed
I felt like STT was all about squeezing money and cutting costs (hence one ambulance).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Disappointed with STT (jbraslins)

One ambulance, completely unaceptable
I was thinking about doing VIR-Full with them...now I'll have to reconsider.

Sorry to read aout your lost track time

-Tifosi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Disappointed with STT (Tifosi)

sorry man , that bites

hours wasted , and extra fees ....

tiz not good and leaves bad taste

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Was this a weekend event? If so, Monte told me they charge gate fees because tracks can make more money from races than track days so this is a way for STT to get the track on weekends, i.e., the gate fee goes to the track owner. No idea about the one EMS unit. There have been two at every track day I have done with them. Have you emailed Monte about your unhappiness with the event? I know from personal experience that he welcomes feedback, both good and bad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Disappointed with STT (wdavis009)

Yeah, I emaile him.

Tracks do charge gate fees, but other orgs (nesba, champion, tpm) pick those up for us so we dont have to pay them. Hell, even if they made it so the track day price was $5 or $10 more, that still would have been ok.

But surprising people at the gate and asking for cash, after you already paid for the day is not cool. Most of the time i dont bring any cash with me at all.

Lady who was running the place said there's always a $5 fee at all STT events.

So might as well look at the prices on their website and add $5.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I know exactly how you feel! I went to a Mid-Ohio day a couple weeks ago with STT, and was VERY surprised by a $5 a person gate fee. So, it's not just at VIR. I too almost never carry cash on me. Mid-Ohio is a great track, and I don't mind paying the feel. But for crap sake, are you telling me that can't come out of the $200 I already paid??

How about a little planning...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbraslins »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...we spent almost 3 hours of the day waiting for that thing to come back from it's hospital trips.</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbraslins »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Lady who was running the place said there's always a $5 fee at all STT events.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

They charge the gate fee at all weekend events. They don't charge a gate fee for weekday LED events, at least non of the ones I have been at. I suspect they don't simply add it to the track day cost because then they wouldn't get the $5 from spectators. Not justifying it; just explaining the facts as I understand them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

They only had one ambulance today, luckly it only had to make one trip to the hospital. I heard you guys had a bunch of red flags little 9 total and 7 in the intermediate.
I think there were 2 total today, both in intermediate IIRC. The BMW (car) group on the north course had an ambulance as well. At the riders' meeting this morning they said they tried to get another ambulance, but since VIR already had two and it being the fourth of july weekend they were denied. Yeah I was trying to figure out the $5 gate fee as well. But food and drinks were free, is this usually the case at track days?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of the tracks out here charge gate fee's...willow springs is $10. I always just figure it in to the total cost of the trackday. BS for it to get charged too for my girlfriend and what not who is just there to hang out, but what are ya gonna do?

Once I build my own track then I guess I can make the rules too...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (JesseJames)

You can't justify the gate fee with free food, as only riders get free food, but guests have to pay it anyway.

All i am saying, given a choice between track day orgonizations, i'll always pick nesba or champion over STT from now on, and do STT only when it's a great track on a convinient date.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Disappointed with STT (jager)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jager »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I heard you guys had a bunch of red flags little 9 total and 7 in the intermediate.
I think there were 2 total today, both in intermediate IIRC. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. I am not sure what the deal was. People were just running way over their heads.

I knew it was gonna happen when they asked at the riders meeting who was never at VIR south before? And like 85% of the people raised their arms. I remember saying to my buddy Chris: Damn, turn 1 gonna be fun.

Most of the red flags were coming out of 1-2. Mostly high sides too

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Gate fee for a trackday does suck! but go race with WERA and really feel your wallet empty, $20 each to enter the track and that is after you've already given them $250 for race entries. The track owners are usually shallow people sort of like motel owners, get it while we can.

1 Ambulance is a complete rip-off. 2 minimum.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Disappointed with STT (BALLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BALLS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gate fee for a trackday does suck! but go race with WERA and really feel your wallet empty, $20 each to enter the track and that is after you've already given them $250 for race entries. The track owners are usually shallow people sort of like motel owners, get it while we can.

1 Ambulance is a complete rip-off. 2 minimum.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the WERA gate fees hurt big time!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the same problem i find when i go down south to race, and it totally BLOWS...
In Canada when you pay to race for the week-end, they charge you whatever it costs for your registered classes, and that's it. But whenever i race with CCS or LRRS, they charge you for your classes AND for the spectator fee! Like for example, $100 for one class and then ~$50 for my week-end pass! what a bunch of crooks i've always thought, first i pay to race and then i must pay to watch myself???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bet you complainers have never put on a motorsports event.

Gate Fees: Most insurance carriers for motorsports facilities charge their premium at a flate rate per person in the controlled area. This includes racers, crew, spectators, offcials, corner workers, concession stand workers, janitors, etc. So if you decided to pay the total insurance premium out of racer's entry fees, how would you know what to charge? You'd have to know exactly how many racers were coming, and how many other hangers-on they were bringing in order to set up an allocation for insurance that covered the total premiums without gouging the racers. Clair voyance.

If instead, you charge a gate fee, you kill two birds with one stone: First, you are recording the precise number of insured persons as they enter (and sign the required waivers), and you can also use a preset, fair, flat gate fee that covers the premium no matter how many Aunts and Uncles come to watch you ride.

So have a little faith in event organizers... there's so much freakin' work to do, and simplifying things like keeping the insurance premium payment tied to the gate receipts is one of those things that actually lowers the cost of events.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (banda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bet you complainers have never put on a motorsports event.

Gate Fees: Most insurance carriers for motorsports facilities charge their premium at a flate rate per person in the controlled area. This includes racers, crew, spectators, offcials, corner workers, concession stand workers, janitors, etc. So if you decided to pay the total insurance premium out of racer's entry fees, how would you know what to charge? You'd have to know exactly how many racers were coming, and how many other hangers-on they were bringing in order to set up an allocation for insurance that covered the total premiums without gouging the racers. Clair voyance.

If instead, you charge a gate fee, you kill two birds with one stone: First, you are recording the precise number of insured persons as they enter (and sign the required waivers), and you can also use a preset, fair, flat gate fee that covers the premium no matter how many Aunts and Uncles come to watch you ride.

So have a little faith in event organizers... there's so much freakin' work to do, and simplifying things like keeping the insurance premium payment tied to the gate receipts is one of those things that actually lowers the cost of events.</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1 I have never gone to any event anywhere in my entire adult life without money. Heck, people get in a hurry and make mistakes, forget something......actually showed up for a track day years ago and forget my gas can....duh? Glad I was able to run down to a camper place a coupla miles away and buy a five gallon can and run across the street and fill it up. What would happen if you needed to buy ANYTHING if you had NO money? Beg? Steal?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
$5!?! You people are actually crying about $5? Do you also moan about tire costs? How about oil and filter? Are you all so cheap when it comes to that stuff too? Consider it the price of fun(as apposed to business) and get on with having fun.

Your complaint about a single ambulance is valid, but you loose alot of credability when you complain about something as low as a $5 gate fee.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (stk0308)

I have no problem paying $5 more or less as far as it's disclosed upfront.

I also dont see how "relavance" of one complaint makes another one less credible.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (jbraslins)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbraslins »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have no problem paying $5 more or less as far as it's disclosed upfront.</TD></TR></TABLE>

From STT's website:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please Note: All SportbikeTrackTime events have a $5.00/day gate fee for all persons 16 years of age and up including riders. Lunch is provided at all track day events unless otherwise specified.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Regardless of the gate fee, I think losing three hours of track time is unacceptable. I am surprised everyone who attended isn't demanding a voucher/rain check.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts