Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a potential purchase of an RC and its a CA model but I cant remember for the life of me what the difference is between that and the 49 state bikes. If one of you fine gentlemen would please refresh my memory I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Silver and Black Attack!
540 Posts
mainly that CA models have a bunch of smog crap that you will just end up removing :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wild Child said:
mainly that CA models have a bunch of smog crap that you will just end up removing :D
They all have a bunch of crap you end up removing. The CA version has evaporative emissions (charcoal can) in addition to the PAIR system, etc.:cool:

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
I would not be surprised....

I was unfortunate enough to own a 1993 CBR900RR which was a CA model. I live in NY and the dealer was just selling anything he could to make sales. I got the bike second hand with only 400 miles on it , previous owner's friend died in an accident and I bought the bike.
Found out that the bike was different when the aftermarket header and exhaust would not fit the bike, steel emission hoses were in the way.

After this I found that my bike had,
Emission control system/rebreather to airbox to recycle exhaust gasses back into the engine intake.
modified airbox
Smaller cams
2mm Smaller carbs
different heads to accomodate emission system
charcoal canister
lots of added hoses for emission system

minus 7 horsepower, so they claimed.

I would be careful and ask what else may be different about a CA model bike.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the updates guys. I didnt think the CA model was all that different. Hopefully its just the charcoal filter/can, whatever. If anyone else knows of any differences, let me know.

·
:rolleyes
305 Posts
It is just the charcoal can/evap system. Nothing more. Easy to remove. Takes all of 10 minutes, if you've done it a few times. :)

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Cali RC's

Calif. bikes also run on "bio-diesel", have free range nagahide (sp?) seat covers, only age half as fast as 49 state bikes, come pre-equipped with green party/ Dean for pres. stickers and emit beautiful rainbows from the exhausts.....
(Yeah, I've lived here WAAAAAAAAAY too long!!!)
-Rocky-:wacky

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LDH, is the Cali ECU different enough to where it would be worth switching before adding the PC?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LDH, I remember hearing about the Aussie ECU back when I had my first RC. Please, remind me why that was such a sought after modification.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts