Speedzilla Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some what related, I had IK20's in my toyota altezza (is300 in the usa), and it kept blowing coil packs, changed to NGK and problem solved.I also run NGK in my SP1, she starts on the first turn of the starter every time (standard coil packs), and has been dynoed at 127hp at wheel, so I dont feel the need to do any coil changes.

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Some what related, I had IK20's in my toyota altezza (is300 in the usa), and it kept blowing coil packs, changed to NGK and problem solved.I also run NGK in my SP1, she starts on the first turn of the starter every time (standard coil packs), and has been dynoed at 127hp at wheel, so I dont feel the need to do any coil changes.
It saves about a pound of weight. That's why people are doing the mod.

·
Registered
416 Posts
So?????

Miller, your saying if you do this mod and the bat relocation you should do them at the same time? Or it would be easier at the same time? Hoovy

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Miller, your saying if you do this mod and the bat relocation you should do them at the same time? Or it would be easier at the same time? Hoovy

Hey HOOVY,

No these don't have anything to do with one another, You do 1 or both... (IF I may Mr Miller;), "I believe" He is talking about).... What he's doing next to Drop MORE Weight and or Relocate said battery weight, that's all.;)

I Have to Say:> It's really pretty COOL to see all the interests STILL, in this "Spark plug Coil mod.!

I was one of the first to do this mod.,.. I was Right behind "Scott aka CBR400RR" He was the FIRST and I ended up buying the extra 2 CBR coils he had way back when,... when he did his mod.,... ;)

For anyone who cares> The coil mod. Idea: Actually came from "Metalscorpio".:cool:
However, it was Scott who took Metal-Man's idea and Ran with it! And I mean, Big Time RAN with it! LMAO
He Put it altogether, Testing and then telling us what he thought about this Coil mod.! ;)

Doughnyt Spaghetti
"It saves about a pound of weight. That's why people are doing the mod."

However for me"
FYI and or FWIW: The ONLY reason why I did this mod., was to CLEAN Up my engine compartment and the sub-frame/tail section... Dropping alittle weight was just extra sweet hehehehee... For me, the REAL nice deal IS> how My Little V-TWIN Starts up now! :)

Peace Jeff

PS. For those of you who have only a little maching experience... Best to pass on the job to someone who's got more machining experience<(My 2cents) OR>
You'd better be Careful turn the tip down on said NGKs... They BREAK Very easy! I imagine Grinding isn't too good for these things either..?.. Meaning BE Careful!;)

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes, very good point Mav. The start up is great.

It also helps if your running a light weight battery by taking some strain of it.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
As mav alluded to, I meant that it will make the battery job easier as I won't have to mess with those huge coils.

Doing this, and getting rid of the rear reservoir really makes taking the rear cowl off much easier. It was worth it alone just for that.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
As mav alluded to, I meant that it will make the battery job easier as I won't have to mess with those huge coils.

Doing this, and getting rid of the rear reservoir really makes taking the rear cowl off much easier. It was worth it alone just for that.[/quote]

LOL Hey b.miller, DAM Brother, I never even thought of that.... (So That's why I've gotten so GOOD!..?:cool:) I'm taking off the tail section and putting it back on, for ME Especially, putting it back on used to be a small pia... NOT any more though.... So I've been thinking, it's just cause I'm getting better at doing the job, since now all of a sudden, she's "EASY PEASY" to install Baby! LOL :D

So YES! Now that You've pointed this out, I realize you are 100% right.;) Cool!:cool:

Peace Jeff

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Zombie thread, I know. Sorry. Just wanted to say that I'm still using the Denso IK27 plugs and they're working awesome, and don't need to be turned down.

It's a good train, get on it.

·
06 rc51
266 Posts
For anyone who cares> The coil mod. Idea: Actually came from "Metalscorpio".:cool:
However, it was Scott who took Metal-Man's idea and Ran with it! And I mean, Big Time RAN with it! LMAO
He Put it altogether, Testing and then telling us what he thought about this Coil mod.! ;)
I remember that now that you mention it! I wanted it then, and still want it now! I need to stop being so cheap!

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Hey I have sex with mine that's gotta count for something :rolleyes:

Soooooo... I need a pair and the connectors for my race toy.

sbk Drew got a copy over !:cool:
I've got two coils with connectors if you're interested...I've also got plugs. :)

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I've got two coils with connectors if you're interested...I've also got plugs. :)
I need to measure the tips on the ninja 250 plugs they are tiny.

I do-not have any turned plugs on-hand sorry:eek:

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Any idea when you'll be doing another run? What's the best way of getting a set made? I have access to a machine shop here in Vegas
I would understand if you just want to support someone else's business, but if that's not the case, and you're not a die-hard NGK fan, then why not try the Denso plugs? They're Iridium and plug-and-play if you already did the coil mod.

It's a whole lot easier....I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would understand if you just want to support someone else's business, but if that's not the case, and you're not a die-hard NGK fan, then why not try the Denso plugs? They're Iridium and plug-and-play if you already did the coil mod.

It's a whole lot easier....I'm just sayin'...
I'm not an NGK nut. I'm just trying to troubleshoot a fueling/combustion issue on my 03 and want to eliminate all possible causes. Running the OEM spark plug would satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Any idea when you'll be doing another run? What's the best way of getting a set made? I have access to a machine shop here in Vegas
Turn down the tip to .150 take passes of .007 or less use a 60 deg. tool and make .025 deep v grooves every .025 then put a nice bevel on the end these take a long time the tool pressure must be light or you will wipe them out.

NGK FOREVER...Who knows I might just get a ta too :p

·
Registered
343 Posts
Turn down the tip to .150 take passes of .007 or less use a 60 deg. tool and make .025 deep v grooves every .025 then put a nice bevel on the end these take a long time the tool pressure must be light or you will wipe them out.

NGK FOREVER...Who knows I might just get a ta too :p
Awesome thanks. Next question; should I buy the dealer item or can I buy the exact same plug for less money at an auto parts store? Fairly certain I know the answer to that one. Which NGK model am I looking for if I go the non-dealer route?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts