Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, I swore off riding on public streets only to ride on the track. It didn't take long to go stir crazy, only able to do one track day a month. Not all of us are on unlimited budgets.

So my buddy and I decide to ride up Mt. Hamilton and and down Mines Rd to Livermore last Thursday. The last time I road Hamilton was on a borrowed F2 10 years ago. I remember it being a little work going up the front side (lots a switchbacks), but on the RC it sucks ass! Tai, I don't know how you manage to ride this place all of the time, even if it is your backyard. What a shit hole!

On the way up, I must have dodged about 6 different deer ( No big deal going at the slow speeds required to navigate this wagon trail of a road), 10 foot wide gravel piles, and all kinds of other critters. About half way up, I lose feeling in my right hand and notice that my temp light is on, and the gauge is flashing 255. I can't wait to get to the top and coast this fat pig and it's rider down the backside and start enjoying Mines.

We decide to let the bikes and us cool of at the Observatory. My buddy's F3 is just spewing coolant out of the overflow and my bike is bubbling like a jacuzzi. About 30 minutes later we mount up and start down the backside. 10 minutes into the ride I loose sight of my partner behind me and I decide to slow way down. A minute later, he is still AWOL. I turn around, dodging a couple more deer on the way back to find him sitting on the side of the road cursing at his machine. Apparently, the F3 started overheating right after we left the top of the hill. So I suggest we go back and get some water into his bike to get it cooled down. We get back to the Observatory, and as we start up the access road at 10-15 MPH, two deer tag team my buddy and throw him off the bike.

I have never seen anything like it. It was as if they planned it this way. The first deer jumps off the 6 ft retaining wall 5 feet in front of of him and as he grabs a handfull of front brake, the second deer jumps and lays an MVP NFL tackle right into his shoulder knocking him right off the bike.

2 hours laters with repairs and a full coolant system, we limped down off the mountain swearing the whole way.

I just swore off the streets again. As soon as I can off the RC, I am going to get a GSXR 750, a shit load of spares, and a Thunderhill season pass.

RANT OVER!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Deer Dodging (ebnash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ebnash »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Tai, I don't know how you manage to ride this place all of the time, even if it is your backyard. What a shit hole! </TD></TR></TABLE>

First off E, I am sorry your buddies got tackle by the deers and that he is ok

but your post got me rollinng

I agree that the road sucks but your riding has to be above it. Look out for the irregular bumps and what not to navigate around them or thru them
..actually last week ride a deer stood perfectly still while the rider in front of me came with in half a feet of it ..then it started moving at me. I did everything I knew and had to fight the urg NOT to jump out and tackle it down so I can have it for dinner
...NO really

YOu got to get to Del Puerto and hit the race track on the otherside of Hamilton..Mines is cool but Del is better and cleaner most of the time

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have read the proper procedure for dealing with deer while riding is to accelerate through the deer and splitting it in half.

Maybe it was deer revenge for all the ones who get hit by cagers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ebnash »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A while back, I swore off riding on public streets only to ride on the track. It didn't take long to go stir crazy, only able to do one track day a month. Not all of us are on unlimited budgets.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ebnash....i hear ya. thursday i was en route to Pocono speedway for a track day. i had to stop my van and trailer 5 times for dear. (4 times last time i went last month) bastards just run out in the road and stand there....... it was like driving through a fukin petting zoo.....

i need a huge brush guard for the front of my van.....bump......bump.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Deer Dodging (Rigor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rigor »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ebnash....i hear ya. thursday i was en route to Pocono speedway for a track day. i had to stop my van and trailer 5 times for dear. (4 times last time i went last month) bastards just run out in the road and stand there....... it was like driving through a fukin petting zoo.....

i need a huge brush guard for the front of my van.....bump......bump.......</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who organizes track days in PA? I want to get to the track while I have some free time on my hands.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Deer Dodging (cdrchode)

i run with Team Promotion.

http://www.teampromotion.com/tpm.php

Reduc runs there too, as well as NESBA. i also belong to NESBA. WERA stopped running there after a 1993 or so incident.

Pocono has 3 tracks in one. North track, East track and the FUSA track. we've run the North and East track at the same time, but the FUSA track is a 2.5 mile deal, so it takes up the whole NASCAR track. great group of people.....

Modified by Rigor at 4:41 PM 7/3/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mt. Hamilton eh? Must be a damn fine mountain! The one that the girls really like.

(some will get it, others will not)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been "attacked"by deer while riding also.Turned out to be a suicide mission for her,though.
As for splittin em in half,I know a guy that happened to and he ended up covered in blood and guts, even up in his helmet, and packed in behind his glasses!
DEATH TO ALL DEER

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It wasnt on my bike, but a couple years ago I was driving down one of the back roads on Ft Dix. About 8 Does ran into the road in front of me. I had plenty of time to stop, and did so. While waiting for the deer to get the F outta my way, and beeping my horn...... 2 large bucks came charging out of the woods and plowed inth the passenger side of my car. One hit the front fender, the other hit the door. The one that hit the fender got back up and ran away, but the one that hit the door mustve broken its neck. Cuz it just hit, and dropped. I backed up a bit so my lights were on the deer that hit me, and got out of the car. The deer that hit my door was laying twitching on the ground, with its head facing the wrong way, and in a wierd position. Damned deer.....did $4000 dmg to the car =o(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Ozone)

A duck attacked me at Brainerd last weekend. I was entering T-2 (a VERY fast 5th gear right hander) and saw a tellow flag waving, I backed it down about 10MPH to give me more reaction time figuring another bike was down again. I see 2 brown spots evenly spaced accross the track and am thinking "turtles, beavers, or something" as I got closer I saw they were ducks and I am like "awe shit, they have wings" I decide to go on the left side of the left hand bird and he flies up and right at me. I take my head from the right side of the screen and duck directly behind the screen and I swear he missed me by inches at 140 MPH. I almost ran out of track but I kept her on it and was laughing at the kamakazi duck.
We have enough deer issues at BIR to get our own set of flags, the debris flag and a yellow together= suicidal deer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Hoovenater)

In the deathmatch between a fat pig and a suicide squirrel, the fat pig wins.
I took out Rocky Squirrel with a Pirelli Diablo yesterday. I have seen enough deer around for me to want to be home and off the bike before dusk and I believe it is only a matter a time before a flying bird bounces off my helmet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (cdrchode)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cdrchode »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I believe it is only a matter a time before a flying bird bounces off my helmet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

been there done that and killed a couple of them..missed a turkey vulture within millimeter of my head once
should have grab that sucker down for dinner

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Deer Dodging (Rigor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rigor »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i run with Team Promotion.

http://www.teampromotion.com/tpm.php

Reduc runs there too, as well as NESBA. i also belong to NESBA. WERA stopped running there after a 1993 or so incident.

Pocono has 3 tracks in one. North track, East track and the FUSA track. we've run the North and East track at the same time, but the FUSA track is a 2.5 mile deal, so it takes up the whole NASCAR track. great group of people.....

Modified by Rigor at 4:41 PM 7/3/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>
+1

I run with TeamPromotion too. I have to say they are very organized. Full compliment of spares if you bail. Control riders who do a great job of helping you. I usually do Summit and VIR but a trip to Pocono should be in the works.

ian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts