Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Very cool. That really sounds like fun.

My six year old daughter learned how to ride a bicycle w/o training wheels just two weeks ago. Now she is cocky and leaning into sharp turns and like riding around in the grass more than the pavement. It is incredible how fast they pick up on things at that age. Now she wants a "real" helmet so she can ride with me on my street bike.

Maybe Santa will bring a PW50 this December to my house too.

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I was most startled by: Helen's rapidly developing competitive spirit.

Helen started her first heat race in last - all the other kids had raced before - they were off like a shot when the light went green. Helen went one lap at cruising speed, and apparently noticed that everyone was getting farther away.

She started going faster, and faster, and faster each lap - noticeably so. I was alarmed. She was just holding it open and drifting up to the cushion, over rougher and rougher parts of the track.

When she came past the white flag, the kid in front of her was getting closer. The red mist overcame her, and she drove it right off the track. She remounted with the help of a corner worker (and her dad) and took the checkers, but she was pissed about finishing last. She didn't even stop to talk to me on pit road, just went back to the trailer and huffed.

She and I talked over corner entries, and looking to the apex - it hadn't really come up before, or if it did, it didn't mean anything to her, because she had never rode so fast before. I drew diagrams in the dirt with a stick, and she paid attention while repeating to me that she did not want to be last.

She went out for her main, and was dismayed to find herself starting from the second row, but I told her it would be fine - we have a family tradition of starting from the second row (my joke about my own lack of speed). She started her race cautiously, but didn't lose nearly as much ground in the opening lap of the main as she did in the heat. She caught and passed her new friend (my buddy's daughter) and held her off for the rest of the race. She was lapped by two of the fast kids, and she told me later that each time she heard a bike coming up behind her, she was terrified that it was her new friend about to pass her back, so she went even faster.

The apple, it seems, does not fall far from the tree. :D

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I have to admit I'm a bit choked up by this and full of envy. My daughter at three had a bad tumble on a bit and now avoids them. Wish I could get her into some mud. Grats!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Kudos to you for encouraging your girl! It really is great fun watching your kids riding! My younger one has been riding since he was 3 and he is going to go for his first race (he is now 6) this year! :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Very cool!
i'm a bit envious too, my daughter will ride with me around the neighborhood, but that's her limit...
& Happy Father's day too

btw, i vote for your avatar as the GOAT

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Congrats, it's nice to see family's doing these things together. :D

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...btw, i vote for your avatar as the GOAT
I have for years now used the race number "404" - I picked it for the HTTP error 404 - Page Not Found. It's a kind of Internet slang for someone who is clueless. That's been my general approach to racing - to acknowledge going in that I am pretty much clueless. The avatar seemed like a perfect fit.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Excellent there is nothing like the pride felt watching your offspring taking part in sport and sharing these essential memories.
I'd rather share a days riding with my kids than any number of friends, although my time is now spent as team owner and mechanic:).
My youngest recently qualified for the regional BSMA* semi finals but sadly didn't make the finals.

* BSMA MX

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Thanks guys.

Inspired by my daughter's willingness to try new things, she and I both are going to a motocross track for the first time ever this coming Saturday. We'll be novices together. There will be pictures, of course.
Elbows high and wide, grip with legs and calves and knees and stand up as much as poss with your head inline over the handlebars.
have fun post up pics.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Suzuki

Just got the son out on his JR50 today. Told him he needed to choose to ride it or I was going to sell it and help finance my ZX7R

He crashed last year and was scared.

Did some ovals in the street today. Asked to ride it again. Good Sign

1 - 18 of 18 Posts