Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing my CZ front wheel and the with the spacers as they are on stock (the right side is a bit longer), when I torque the nut down to 30 ft/lb (30% less than stock per CZ), I am getting no movement in the wheel. The brakes are making full contact and it's locking the wheel down.. any ideas?

·
Registered
525 Posts
first off....

remove the calipers and put the wheel on with out them. Once on and torqued measure the distance from the rotor to the caliper mount, should be identical both sides. If not there is a definite issue with spacing. If it is the same then put the calipers on but dont torque down yet, make sure you spread the pads apart a little bit first to give some extra wiggle room. Once in place check for freedom of movement, then if good torque them down and check for movement, if still good then pump the brake until solid contact then release and check for movement.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure with the spacer that if you added a spacer that you aren't spreading the forks apart or pinching them together.
How can I know that everything is perfect? I'm going to measure the caliper mounts as mentioned by CBR. How will I know if I'm squeezing/pushing the forks? Everything looks ok. I'll post pics tomorrow.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
How can I know that everything is perfect? I'm going to measure the caliper mounts as mentioned by CBR. How will I know if I'm squeezing/pushing the forks? Everything looks ok. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Did you install the bearings OR did the rims come with them?

IF You didn't know, there's a "Spacer" that goes in between the bearings through the hub... which is what I was referring to in my first reply.;)
IF there is NO spacer there, when You tighten the axel it WILL pinch the crap out of the bearings and IF You are not careful, it WILL damage the bearings too!

Were the rims you bought (NEW or Used) for the RC51, If NEW it should have the correct spacers with them OR You're supposed to use your OEM spacers... Any paper work with them?

IF Used, do You really know IF they were for your set-up or could the Seller be wrong, You know what I mean.

Easy way to find out about "OAL" is to take your OEM rim and put both spacers in place on the outsides of the bearings, (just like your ready to install them into the forks) now all's you need to do is "Measure" ;)... Now you know the OAL of your OEM set-up, make sure your new rims are set-up to the same OAL..

I Hope this Helps

Peace Jeff

PS. NO more replies from any US until you post PICTURES! :)

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought them used, the front came with 2 spacers, one of them slightly longer than the other just like OEM, but it didn't mount up correctly until I used a 2mm spacer on top of those. Is there any measurement I can take that will tell me everything is where it needs to be and there's no flexing of the forks?

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
I bought them used, the front came with 2 spacers, one of them slightly longer than the other just like OEM, but it didn't mount up correctly until I used a 2mm spacer on top of those. Is there any measurement I can take that will tell me everything is where it needs to be and there's no flexing of the forks?
So I'm to guess here... The bearings were already installed?

Well, I'd say 2mm is not too much to worry about, that is as long as You are not having to Spread the forks?

What is IMHO Important is your OEM OAL, did you measure and compare>?(Please Measure OEM and get this NUMBER, then Measure Your CZ front wheel!
Once you have done this, then you'll know IF you should need those 2mm or not.:cool:

·
Registered
525 Posts
2mm.....

Your right 2mm is not much however if it puts your front wheel 1 or 2mm off center its a HUGE deal, which is why I recommend measuring from the rotor to the caliper mount, if easier measure from the bearing to the inside of the fork leg. Both side measurements must be the same! and yes pictures would be great!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, using a tape measure, I measured the bottom caliper bolt to the rotor on both sides, both just over 2.5". If there's a difference it's very small, 1mm or less.. I can't see one with the tape measure though. It's just odd to me, these came off an SP1 (mine's an SP2) and bolted up no problem. The 2mm spacer wasn't needed. Luckily I had a few because I knew I'd have to shim the rear (lost the one they came with to clear the caliper bracket. So I got several different sizes.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ok, using a tape measure, I measured the bottom caliper bolt to the rotor on both sides, both just over 2.5". If there's a difference it's very small, 1mm or less.. I can't see one with the tape measure though. It's just odd to me, these came off an SP1 (mine's an SP2) and bolted up no problem. The 2mm spacer wasn't needed. Luckily I had a few because I knew I'd have to shim the rear (lost the one they came with to clear the caliper bracket. So I got several different sizes.
Did you buy just the wheels, or wheels and rotors together?
Each SP2 rotor is 1mm thicker overall than SP1 rotors, so if you installed your SP2 rotors on the wheels, then each SP2 rotor will each be .5mm wider when measured from rotor outside face to opposite rotor outside face when compared with SP1 rotors.

This may explain your 1mm difference.

·
Registered
525 Posts
key thing

The key ingredient is the front wheel is centered between the forks and the forks are not pinching in or bowing out. If the forks are you will prematurely blow your seals. IF your wheel is centered and brakes still drag then you can look at shimming out your rotors, or in say many ducati cases you can get different offset rotors. It sounds like you got things squared away but id still be curious why you needed a 2mm spacer on one side. Id even get the spacer specs from the manufacture and check to see if the ones you have are correct.

Nevermind I just read subs post... yeah what he said...lol get SP1 rotors..

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Did you buy just the wheels, or wheels and rotors together?
Each SP2 rotor is 1mm thicker overall than SP1 rotors, so if you installed your SP2 rotors on the wheels, then each SP2 rotor will each be .5mm wider when measured from rotor outside face to opposite rotor outside face when compared with SP1 rotors.

This may explain your 1mm difference.

Hey Sub-mang.,

Yours is an SP1 or 2?

This is something I came up with as it was EASY to measure and SEE..

While I was looking to see where Akilldema got that 2.5mm.. I came up with an Easy to See measurement.

I Measured from the>>> outside face of My rotor, to the outside face of my TOP Brake caliper BOLT, I got 1-15/16", OK...

It's the same on BOTH sides for me;)

2:58pm I just remeasured Using "Dial Calipers" I got 1.970 and 1.965

See what You get,(You too cbrbear) Just for the heck of it.... Mines an SP2 with "OEM Forks & Brakes"

Peace Jeff

·
Registered
525 Posts
take some measurements

Id love to help with the measurements but im stuck on the ship.... sorry. Im running BST wheels with Ohlins forks and ABM rotors with non stock calipers so im all ****ed up....lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.