Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I have never subscribed. It is sad to see such a long-standing publication ending.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw it on superbikeplanet and another site this morning after a google search. I should have given them credit...

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Its all my fault... I placed an add in 98 to sell balls 2 RC45... Cycle News has gone down hill ever since...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cycle News

The demise of an institution.

They have been on a slippery slope since they shut down Cycle News East.

I used to have the "We don't care how they do it in Calif......" Cycle News East Tee shirt

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
Motorcycle Racer is the best mag going, but it's hard to find and filled with fukn Brit interviews.:woot: Roadracer X is such old news. By the time we've gotten the latest RRX, we've already argued all 4 races amongst ourselves here on Zilla 4 times and beaten any info they have to death before print.:rockon

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I will miss Henery Ray Abrams insightfull and volitile writing........:banghead

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Registered
433 Posts
Another internet victim.:( No surprise. Been hearing this type of news about Reg Newspapers for years now. In todays world, breaking news/race reports are not a week old and there free on the web.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If Motorcyclist would die the world would be complete. Motorcycle Consumer News is the only true mag left.
Of the four magazines I susbscribe to (Cycle World, RRW, Motorcyclist, Sport Rider), Motorcyclist is second behind Sport Rider.

I used to really enjoy Cycle World, but the last few years it has rapidly gone downhill. Received my last issue on subscription on Tuesday. I have no plans to renew.

I currently subscribe to RRW but it sucks. Also subscribed in 2005-07 when it was much better. They do the most extensive bike tests and shootouts, but they are so few and far between these days on RRW that I now only keep them out of habit. Maybe spend 20 minutes leafing through each issue. I don't care about TTXGP or Elena Myers.

Motorcyclist is OK these days, definitely better than CW or RRW. I don't like how the editor was fired for clashing with advertisers.

If anything, Sport Rider has improved. Not to mention it covers the kinds of bikes I like and isn't worried about Harley vs Victory baggers.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I'm getting down to just sport rider and European stuff.

Of the four magazines I susbscribe to (Cycle World, RRW, Motorcyclist, Sport Rider), Motorcyclist is second behind Sport Rider.

I used to really enjoy Cycle World, but the last few years it has rapidly gone downhill. Received my last issue on subscription on Tuesday. I have no plans to renew.

I currently subscribe to RRW but it sucks. Also subscribed in 2005-07 when it was much better. They do the most extensive bike tests and shootouts, but they are so few and far between these days on RRW that I now only keep them out of habit. Maybe spend 20 minutes leafing through each issue. I don't care about TTXGP or Elena Myers.

Motorcyclist is OK these days, definitely better than CW or RRW. I don't like how the editor was fired for clashing with advertisers.

If anything, Sport Rider has improved. Not to mention it covers the kinds of bikes I like and isn't worried about Harley vs Victory baggers.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts

This assessment of Motorcyclist surprises me . I think it's inferior to CW by a huge margin . Of late , it has been trying to cater to new riders and women with "riding impressions" from teenage girls who attempt to tell us about clutch action , handling , and maintenance from their vast 8 month store of moto knowledge .:rockon Besides , the mag is more like a flyer , with fewer articles and more advertising . CW at least has different kinds of bikes , customs , and seems to be written by adults .

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had subscribed to Cycle World since 1995 or so, and the quality of the columns and articles have all went downhill, especially so since the economic problems started in 2008. The latest issue is a joke and a fitting reminder why I'm not paying $18/yr for it anymore.

I think I started getting Motorcyclist in 1997. Perhaps the reason I find it better now is more a statement on how bad CW is rather than how good MC is at the moment.

I still have hundreds of these magazines, almost every issue since 1991 when I switched from dirt bike to street bikes of many different titles. Funny thing is I will still pul out an old mag from 15 years ago and read it. My wife thinks I'm wierd. I'm actually thinking about selling all of them on Ebay, preferrably a magazine title and year at a time (CW, 1993 for example). The "collection" is becoming unmanagable.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
^ I hear ya , I've got mags from years ago which I read from time to time but I don't take care of them ; they'll go into the recycling bin soon . Been reading MC since 1990 and they were more info oriented up until 5 or so years ago when a shift to a more stylized , flowery , lifestyle approach began , in order to broaden their appeal to new riders , especially women . For a short time 2 years ago they tried to look European with artsy photography which showed only 1/4 of the bike , and boxed text all over the page , but complaints forced a change . I'll still subscribe for $18/yr but no more . The British are annoying with their crude "everyman" humour , but I like their info/stat-packed mags .

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The British are annoying with their crude "everyman" humour , but I like their info/stat-packed mags .
My wife is not a fan of the "birds" (although she looks better) so I don't usually buy them at the newsstand.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts