Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new book that completely blows the "Muslim extremist" theory out of the water. Read the synopsis for your self:

Product Description

Almost every week, suicide bombers attack. We know the danger—suicide attacks kill more people than all other forms of terrorism—and in response we have sacrificed the lives of soldiers and civilians, trillions of dollars, and America’s reputation abroad in a futile quest for absolute security. But do we really understand what drives people to deliberately kill themselves on a mission to harm the innocent?

Cutting the Fuse offers a wealth of new knowledge about the origins of suicide terrorism and strategies to stop it. Robert A. Pape and James K. Feldman have examined every suicide terrorist attack worldwide from 1980 to 2009. Their work fundamentally changes how we understand the root causes of the most important terrorist campaigns today and reveals why the War on Terror has been ultimately counterproductive.

Since 2004, the number of suicide attacks—whether within a country or transnational—has grown with shocking speed. Through a close analysis of suicide campaigns by Al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Lebanon, Israel, Chechnya, and Sri Lanka, the authors provide powerful new evidence that, contrary to popular and dangerously mistaken belief, only a tiny minority of these attacks are motivated solely by religion. Instead, the root cause is foreign military occupation, which triggers secular and religious people alike to carry out suicide attacks.

Cutting the Fuse calls for new, effective solutions that America and its allies can sustain for decades, relying less on ground troops in Muslim countries and more on off-shore, over-the-horizon military forces along with political and economic strategies to empower local communities to stop terrorists in their midst.

“Pape and Feldman are the world’s experts on suicide terrorism. In this carefully researched yet highly readable book, the authors lay bare the causes of suicide terrorism and demonstrate that our current military strategy serves only to breed a new generation of terrorists. This book is a must-read for anyone who cares about America’s role in the world.”—Steven D. Levitt, author of (em)Freakonomics(/em)

“Robert Pape and Ken Feldman mine a unique library of data to arrive at a radical diagnosis of what motivates suicide terrorists. I think you'll find it persuasive, I am convinced.”—Thomas C. Schelling, Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics

“Pape and Feldman offer a powerful analysis of the factors underlying the rise in suicide terrorism in recent years and bring clarity to a complex and challenging subject. I commend this book to both scholars and policy makers with a serious interest in U.S. national security policy.”—Lee H. Hamilton, Co-Chair of the 9/11 Commission

“In this impressively researched book the authors question our conceived wisdom about the motivation of suicide bombers. If they are correct (and I suspect they are) it calls for a total reexamination of U.S. military strategy. (em)Cutting the Fuse(/em) should be required reading for policy makers.”—Thomas Kean, Co-Chair of the 9/11 Commission

About the Author

Robert A. Pape is professor of political science at the University of Chicago and the author of Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism and Bombing to Win: Air Power and Coercion in War.

James K. Feldman has taught decision analysis and economics at the Air Force Institute of Technology and defense policy analysis at the School of Advanced Airpower Studies.

Amazon.com: Cutting the Fuse: The Explosion of Global Suicide Terrorism and How to Stop It (9780226645605): Robert A. Pape, James K. Feldman: Books

2,000 terrorist attacks and only 3% of them motivated solely by religion (according to the authors, who I heard say so). A shocker? Maybe to some.
This is exactly why, on Afghanistan and Iraq, I said "get in, then get out, don't stay there". Our presence there is what leads to the never-ending violence. The inevitable question that some will come to is: Given the warnings about the military industrial complex, is it possible that some of our leaders want us to be there so that there WILL be never-ending violence, thus guarenteeing their own importance to society (in other words, their paycheck and gratified egos)?

Gee, I wonder how peepee will spin this vis-a-vis Israel. Obviously, Israel does not want peace since they are in the business of taking by force, ethnic cleansing, and permanent occupation.

Time to cut and run Afghanistan. Yeah - a long time ago.

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
Have you already read the book or are you forming your opinion based upon what other folks have printed on the book jacket?

I am waiting with baited breath about how your opinion factors into this discussion....being that you spent all of 30 seconds reading the amazon.com email flyer.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Ahh, Areloa 51 once again drawn like a moth to the flame of progressive dogma, unfortunately, it has no bearing or revalence to the ongoing effort to smoke every fookin hadji we can find..............:wacky

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rocky, your wisdom is this big . Can you see it? Put your readers on, old codger - it's there somewhere.

With your inquisitive insight we'll be killing hajis for a long time and they will be killing your buds too. Real, real, real smart. For what? gLorY?

Tell me something. What have we accomplished that is worth so much dollars and lives? We should have been out of there years ago. What a goddam waste of practically everything.:banghead

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you already read the book or are you forming your opinion based upon what other folks have printed on the book jacket?

I am waiting with baited breath about how your opinion factors into this discussion....being that you spent all of 30 seconds reading the amazon.com email flyer.:rolleyes:
Heard them on the radio the other day for an hour. Well, it was about 45 minutes...if it were AM radio it would have been about twenty minutes since AM radio is mostly dead time:twocents (commercials, traffic, news, weather, small talk, etc.).

Why don't you read the book, since you are the one who doesn't have a clue what causes terrorism. You've been shooting people who have no interest in shooting you other than the fact that you are in their country. If I didn't want to get shot I'd get the hell out of their country. Anyone with a brain can get that. Talk about stupid. This is Bonaparte stupid. You know, everyone get in a line and walk toward your enemy. Really, who are the suicide-minded ones, them or us? Monumental failure.

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
You do realize that the point of your thread is rediculous in and of itself. You're cheerleading for a book you haven't read. Dude, if the book is so important to YOU, then buy it and give us the report. Seriously, grow up a little...or put down the hookah. Either way, you might just make a little more sense to yourself.

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
Ahh, Areloa 51 once again drawn like a moth to the flame of progressive dogma, unfortunately, it has no bearing or revalence to the ongoing effort to smoke every fookin hadji we can find..............:wacky

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-
In a way I kind of agree with the half baked logic A51 uses but my solution would probably make him cry. I think we should pull everyone out and just nuke the place into a giant glass ash tray and be done with it.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You do realize that the point of your thread is rediculous in and of itself.
No, I don't realise it. In a succinct and logical way please tell how.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In a way I kind of agree with the half baked logic A51 uses but my solution would probably make him cry. I think we should pull everyone out and just nuke the place into a giant glass ash tray and be done with it.
Yeah, right. Big man at the screen would never push the button. Another big-mouthed chicken hawk. You'd have to be the devil to nuke so many innocent people who happen to live under authoratative rule and only know crap because that is all they are told. But this being the internet it's obvious you're just trying to be a ciber tough guy. Very impressive.:rolleyes: :wacky
But woefully lacking in character.

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
No, I don't realise it. In a succinct and logical way please tell how.
You've already proven my point. Re-read my reply.

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
Yeah, right. Big man at the screen would never push the button. Another big-mouthed chicken hawk. You'd have to be the devil to nuke so many innocent people who happen to live under authoratative rule and only know crap because that is all they are told. But this being the internet it's obvious you're just trying to be a ciber tough guy. Very impressive.:rolleyes: :wacky
But woefully lacking in character.
I may be the devil to you but at least I wouldn't spend the next ten generations trying to get them to play nice in the sandbox together. Nothing will result in peace in the Middle East. Their violence is spreading like cancer and should be dealt with harshly. I'd rather be known as a so called cyber tough guy than the cyber idiot of this forum....ie: you.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've already proven my point. Re-read my reply.
All you can say is "you haven't read the book"? That is a cop-out of monumental proportions. Burry your head in the sands of Afghanistan. And while you're at it, bury your brothers too. You can see who they are on the Newshour, PBS, a couple of times a week, and also on This Week, Sunday mornings. If my son died wasting his time over there I don't know what I'd do but it might not be pretty.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may be the devil to you but at least I wouldn't spend the next ten generations trying to get them to play nice in the sandbox together. Nothing will result in peace in the Middle East. Their violence is spreading like cancer and should be dealt with harshly. I'd rather be known as a so called cyber tough guy than the cyber idiot of this forum....ie: you.:rolleyes:
Israel and our military presence IS the cancer!!! It is so simple. Why don't people get that? I know why they don't but I'm just being rhetorical.

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
All you can say is "you haven't read the book"? That is a cop-out of monumental proportions. Burry your head in the sands of Afghanistan. And while you're at it, bury your brothers too. You can see who they are on the Newshour, PBS, a couple of times a week, and also on This Week, Sunday mornings. If my son died wasting his time over there I don't know what I'd do but it might not be pretty.

Hey, I think the concept escapes you but if you are cheerleading for a book you haven't read for yourself, you come off as kind of an asshole. Regardless of whether the book might be relevant or not. :rolleyes:

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
Israel and our military presence IS the cancer!!! It is so simple. Why don't people get that? I know why they don't but I'm just being rhetorical.

So why don't you join code pink or sign up for service with the Palestinian Authority and take up arms against the Jews and be done with it.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Again with the lack of substance thing. Getting old.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts