Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few pics awhile back and now that I'm complete I wanted to post the end results. Basically, I molded my own rear turn signal lights and brake light into the tail. I also made a two piece acrylic undertail which can't be seen very well in the pics here. I currently have a flame design between the sheets which is an 11 x 17 printed graphic cut to fit. The paint job is new too. For the first time I've ever painted a bike I'm pretty happy with the results. Far from professional but not too bad. No graphics, all paint. I haven't decided if I want to add any graphics or not. I just got it back on the road this week after being laid up for almost a year, so I'm focusing more on riding it than anything. You'll notice the front turn signals are missing. I temporarily had some LP flushmounts there but they melted, potentially due to some mis-wiring. I'll deal with that later. Let me know what you think. I've seen a lot of nice bikes on this site and would never have gone as far with it as I did were it not for the posts I've been reading here over the last 9 months, of course the bourbon I consumed while working on it didn't hurt either :D .

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
Those are some sick tail light/turn signals! Very creative and they look SUPER clean on the bike! Is the "Wing" on the side black or a dark charcoal color? Bike looks very nice! Custom, but still retaining the heritage of the RC51.

Bravo!:clapper

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
very clean and a fresh idea .. could you make it clearer for the lense??

still very cool do it yourself though:rockon

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kudos.

The wing is a pearlized black. In my opinion it is the nicest looking color and went on much better than the other three colors (flame red, pearlized silver, opaque black).

I used a convection oven to heat the lenses so the clearness would have been ruined to some degree. I took it a step further and used 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper with water to give it a more translucent appearance.

Here's a shot in the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Great job. Now get rid of those boat anchors. :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
Very very clean. I like it a lot. Regarding the clarity of the lenses, what about using Lexan? Also, how about a DIY writeup or some shots of what you used for lights and reflectors behind the lenses?

If not, what would it take to get you to do that to mine this winter? :woot:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.