Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm in need of rads but really don't want to get the side mount stockers..... my thoughts are to mount up something that fits as a front mount for the rc, anything form a sv650, sv1000, tlr, or 2 MX radiators (one flat across the top and one narrow one diagonally/vertically). Unfortunately I do not have access to the rc51 right and I would like to know if anyone knows the limiting dimensions in all directions in the front? I have done as much research without access to the RC. So I guess what Im asking for is, does anyone have enough interest in doing this aswell and doing the leg work and getting the measurements for the RC? TIA if your up to it or just curious.

So far I have come across a few feasable alternatives if the measurements work out..... the TLR rads are split in 2 on across the top and a lower one, this company makes a curved top mounted section... Delkevic :: Shop > Cooling System > Radiators > Delkevic - Suzuki Radiators=
the TLR Delkkevic rad measures 45cm x 14cm

SV 650 rad measures 40.6x25.4 cm x2.5 cm

various MX and Quad rads that may be suitable.... PWR Performance Products - Custom Made Aluminium Radiator, Radiators, Oilcoolers, Intercoolers and Superchargers - UTV/sb=All/
PWR Performance Products - Custom Made Aluminium Radiator, Radiators, Oilcoolers, Intercoolers and Superchargers
Absolute Radiator Store
radiator items - Get great deals on Motorcycle Parts items on eBay Motors!

...Turns out that a RSV rad may be an option aswell...

·
Registered
531 Posts
I too was looking at trying to tackle this. I don't plan on doing it until the winter though. I have been collecting as many pics as I can of front mounts on the RC.

Do you have any dimensions on the front mounts that are made for the RC? I was looking at rads from a MX bike but don't have any measurements.

Sorry I don't have anything to contribute right now but I will keep my eyes open and post here if I get any leads

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too was looking at trying to tackle this. I don't plan on doing it until the winter though. I have been collecting as many pics as I can of front mounts on the RC.

Do you have any dimensions on the front mounts that are made for the RC? I was looking at rads from a MX bike but don't have any measurements.

Sorry I don't have anything to contribute right now but I will keep my eyes open and post here if I get any leads
I' don'e have any measurements other then what I have posted. I've really been wanting to get down to some bike dealers and snoop around with a tape measure but havent' had the opportunity:D

imo the rads that are custom made for the RC probably have been made to use every sq inch of space available so it might not be as relavent to finding a mix-n-match type setup that i'm going after.... wouldn't hurt though

·
Registered
478 Posts
I thought somebody mentioned using MX rads before, and they concluded that they dont flow enough fluid. I could be wrong though.:eek:

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I don't think you are going to be able to get any cheaper or easier than doing what metalscorpio did. He just took a Cbr600rr radiator and cut it in half and had the ends welded shut. You can find used rads for $150-200

His was curved, but you could possibly do the same thing with a flat radiator also.

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya he did a great jjob on it. If i had the time i would def bite on that one but unfortunately I'm looking for something that won''t need much fabrication time, just measuring and making some brackets. I really am short on time this year as far as riding will go so i don't want to be out any longer....

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for you continured input. From what I have gathered, the sv1000 and 650 have diff sizes and there may be differences between the generations of the sv650 but I'm still trying to find out if this is the case. The sv rad mounted on this fighter in question looks pretty well sized, I would really be surprised if it interfeered with the fairings.... but I guess he had already given that a shot by the sound of it....

·
Registered
165 Posts
What would be awesome, is if there was a radiator that had the oil cooler in it also! Like some cars do!

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
thanks for you continured input. From what I have gathered, the sv1000 and 650 have diff sizes and there may be differences between the generations of the sv650 but I'm still trying to find out if this is the case. The sv rad mounted on this fighter in question looks pretty well sized, I would really be surprised if it interfeered with the fairings.... but I guess he had already given that a shot by the sound of it....
Your welcome. I've looked into it quite a bit for various reasons. I will still live in Texas for the next few years, and it's hot hot hot! Installing a spal fan helped quite a bit, but I might still go with front mounts eventually. In your situation, it makes sense to start looking because you are already going to be spending a decent amount to even get used side mounts.

Another thing to think about is if the sv radiator by itself isn't enough (they aren't as thick as the front mount kits I've seen pictures of) you could maybe find a dirtbike radiator to use where they put the vertical radiator in the kits. It would probably be difficult to find one with the hose inlet and outlet in exactly the right place, but you might get lucky.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Front mount kit

I havent installed it yet as the bike is still in pieces but here is a pic of it minus the oil cooler. I also purchased 2 4" puller fans from northern I plan on mounting and running off the fan circuit from the orriginal. It is not set up for a thermostat but I am sure that can be worked around or I will have one of my buddies that can weld aluminum put a bung in it for me so I can mount one.

Attachments

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I havent installed it yet as the bike is still in pieces but here is a pic of it minus the oil cooler. I also purchased 2 4" puller fans from northern I plan on mounting and running off the fan circuit from the orriginal. It is not set up for a thermostat but I am sure that can be worked around or I will have one of my buddies that can weld aluminum put a bung in it for me so I can mount one.
the top rad looks like it is quite wide (top to bottom) are you sure that this clears the suspension travel?

I bet you can't wait to button it all up:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts