Speedzilla Forums banner

Custom brake light...

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  mabryusmc 
#1 ·
I asked this in another post but tought I would add a "pic" in the tech side.

So i want to add a brake light using the front brake lever. Im tryng to figure ut how to wire it.

The ghetto diagram I added is all i got. The two wires in question both lead into the Horn/light/blinker controls and I lose them from there. I no longer have the controls do to using a HRC harness... so my question to all the electrical nuts out there... where the hell do I run the one wire from the relay and last wire from the brake light?

I just need a simple circut to get the single brake light to work... im just not too experienced with this kinda stuff. Thanks

#4 ·
Haha.. its gotta have power to it some way right? And a ground.... I dont knnow if I wanna just start pluggin wires into things with out knowing what exactly will happen.

#5 ·
Power (positive):
From battery to switch
From other side of switch to relay

From battery to relay

From relay to light

Ground (negative):
From battery to ground on light

From battery to relay.

If you want a constant "on" running light function, you'll need a power wire from the battery to the light. You'll probably want to tap into something like the power that runs the instruments so it will only be on when the bike is on.

You'll have to look at your relay and find which pole takes power or ground and which power actuates the relay. They usually have a diagram on them.

If your switch has two poles (places to connect wires) and only has two positions, then you just run the power wire from the battery to one pole and then from the other pole to the relay. If it has three poles and two polistions, it either has a light on it (and requires a ground wire for the light to function, but the switch will work without it) or it has two output or input poles (rarely).

#8 ·
thanks, the brake light has three wires on it though?

and i wanted to just use one of the relays off the bike, will the RC-2208 relay work? In the wire diagram it shows the relay as having only three wires... your diagram has four?

#9 ·
the lights have three wires:
ground
running
brake

The relay you are looking at is probably the turn signal flasher relay.

In all reality, since the bulbs don't pull that much amperage, you could probably just use the switch without a relay. The bike does the same stock, and since they aren't on all the time, it's not an issue. Just stick the switch in between the power from the battery and the brake lights, and ground the lights.

#10 ·
got it to work.... kinda. Not using a relay I got it to work but the running light was way to bright... when you hit the brake you didnt even notice the light changed.

In the wire diagram in the manual it shows the front brake switch as going through the turn signal relay? Am I missing something there?

#12 ·
Got it! thanks!

I was using misc wires just to understand how to get it to work... had the ground mixed up with the running light. It was causing it to be bright as hell. Got it now though! Thanks for the help!

i just ordered my LED light so hopefully by this weekend it will be here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.