Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday after a tire change, while cleaning the rear wheel, ('95-916), I notice cracks near the center hub on 4 of the 5 spokes of the Marvic Penta 2 magnesium. The cracks are all in the same area on each spoke. Looking at the inside hub and the open backside of the spoke, with the spoke facing up toward the rim, the crack is on the right side channel, almost at the hub, and runs half way through to the front. These cracks are identical in all four spokes.

Does anyone know the possible cause or remedy, or is this now trash? My buddy tells me he can weld it, reshape it and refinish the paint, yet I'm not certain it won't happen again or cause additional problems.

I've heard of magnesium becoming brittle over time and these are now 10 years or so in age, with about 40K miles on them. Suggestions or comments welcomed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yikes!!! :eek: That's scary! Throw it away....... if you buddy welds it make sure you video record it and then stick it on Youtube. :)

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
This is why I am not a fan of Mg or CF wheels on streetbikes. At least you detected the damage before the wheel cracked enough to either disintegrate or rapidly deflate the tire. Imagine a CF wheel where the failure is between layers of laminate and basically undetectable without an X-ray machine.

Another vote to throw it away.

·
Registered
50 Posts
marvic penta

if the manufacturer was truly interested in the performance of their product, they may be interested in your findings. maybe give 'em a call?

·
senior member,not citizen
465 Posts
I'd keep it and use it as decoration or something also hit up a place like trans wheel or a similar repair shop, they do alot of high end car stuff

·
Registered
409 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts