Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cost of owning a Duc

I was just curious - on average what does everyone spend to maintenance their Duc's. One of the guys I work with said he was around paying-out $ 1,000 per year - standard maintenance - no track time. Just seems a bit steep

I understand, it may depend on the particular bike and individual riding style... but just looking at average $$$'s

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Cost of owning a Duc (Rick Briggs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rick Briggs »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just curious - on average what does everyone spend to maintenance their Duc's. One of the guys I work with said he was around paying-out $ 1,000 per year - standard maintenance - no track time. Just seems a bit steep

I understand, it may depend on the particular bike and individual riding style... but just looking at average $$$'s</TD></TR></TABLE>

where did you hear that it costs 1000$ to maintain your ducati per year? if this (maintenance) number of dollars which is quite high scares you, you don't want to hear what most spend on aftermarket parts for their ducatis. good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Cost of owning a Duc (oneducs)

I bet that 1000$ a year is about right-

Ducatis have to be serviced according to mileage AND time.
In the Uk, I pay an official and must say excellent dealer in Lincoln, £350 for the 6000/ annual service and £550 for the 12000/ bi-annual service.

These do not include cost of any tyres, insurance, license, petrol, then the carbon fibre and lightweight alloy fever which a lot of Ducati owners suffer from......

In fact 1000$ is not a bad maintenance cost!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I pay alot but I don't care because dollars alone can't ever make me feel like I do when I ride.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm... in the past year I have done...

payments due to crappy stock parts:
$190 - evoluzione cylinder, installed
$60 - brake retainer pin broke, one stripped bolt replaced, labor and parts

Maintenance
$25 DIY oil change
$390 major service: oil change, carb sync, valve job, etc.
$60 full set of new EBC HH brakepads, DIY install
$100 of other maintenance receipts

upcoming:
$270 another set of front and rear Pirelli Diablos, installed price
$25 another DIY oil change

paint care products:
$30 (mostly purchased for car and used on bike)

insurance:
$118/yr. liability only.

I guess it's not TOO bad b/c it's around $825, but then again I also have an old 900SS... aftermarket parts are expensive too, if you plan to get into that sort of thing. If you plan to get a 999 and don't live in SoCal, can't find a good shop, can't do your own work, and are still worried about the money, then I may recommend considering another bike.

If I went to the local stealership (Beverly Hills Ducati) then it would have looked something like this:
$100 oil change
$100 oil change
$1200 major service
$400 minor service
+ a lot more. So in conclusion, $1000/year isn't bad at all, especially if you have one of the superbikes, untracked!

I wonder if my future R1 will be any cheaper for annual maintenance.

Note: $825 is without the paint products or insurance, just pure cost of having the bike be able to run.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have to say that I can understand the fever - the CF, Titanium, exhaust, and all of the extra goodies, but the extra cost of maintenance would cut into the goodies budget!

And, I do understand, you get what you pay for. The Jap. bikes would be much easier to afford, but... I think in the end, passion / pride of ownership is what drives most Duc owners.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Cost = Your Soul .... MWWAHAAHAHAAHHHAHAAHAAAAAAAA ........ [/Satanic Vox]

I've poured more than $1000/annum into my bike.
I say get bang for your buck. Ride it like you stole it. Service it like it's a world class race bike then ... ride it like you stole it, some more

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Cost of owning a Duc (DaDukeofOz)

Yes its definetely a sickness, my wife calls the bike "the Italian mistress" and she's likes time, attention and money but its a great relationship and the wife enjoys a threesome occasionally.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Cost of owning a Duc (Ian748L)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ian748L »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes its definetely a sickness, my wife calls the bike "the Italian mistress" and she's likes time, attention and money but its a great relationship and the wife enjoys a threesome occasionally.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hehe.. my wife says that I'm married to the bike and she's just the arm candy for when I'm not on the bike!!

as for cost of ownership.. I throw nearly two grand a year at my bike, for go fast parts. But, if I was ever satisfied, I could do it on less than 400 bucks a year not including gas money

~60 bucks on belts.
~80 bucks on oil and filters for the year.
~200 bucks for new tires.
Do all the rest of the work myself.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Cost of owning a Duc (hoythuntin)

I think I'm up to $41/ mile at this point.

Dont ask how many miles

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cost is a factor, but not a big one for me. I can't stand not knowing how to do something, so I learn how to work on all my own bikes. However, I do leave the really tricky stuff to the pros.

You only live once right? I'd rather be old with some great stories than old, rich, and bored.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I race my 750ss, don't really cost that much... The major expence is entry fees, Tires, and gas for the truck...I do my own maintance and that keeps costs down ( a little). You just have to take care of her and she'll take care of you...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Cost of owning a Duc (oneducs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneducs »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">....you don't want to hear what most spend on aftermarket parts for their ducatis. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's just plain 'ol sick.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many credit cards with high limits do you have? Just ax'ing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Well, if you own an R model a reporter once said "They are fueled on the souls of the damned and lubricated with the fat of unbaptized babies". That stuff don't come cheap you know.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Cost of owning a Duc (Sagerider)

Take purchase price and double for mods.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Cost of owning a Duc (Sagerider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sagerider »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, if you own an R model a reporter once said "They are fueled on the souls of the damned and lubricated with the fat of unbaptized babies". That stuff don't come cheap you know.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

man that is so true.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rick Briggs »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just curious - on average what does everyone spend to maintenance their Duc's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats the quotation? "If you have to ask... you probably cant afford it?"

Seriously though....

Id figure on average I spend about 800-1k per year on the bike for buying tires....
oil changes... scheduled maint.... Bout another 600-700 or so on insurance...

ITs going to be more expensive than a jap bike... but then again... every squid
and their dog owns a jap bike.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Service must be done following mileage and TIME. I agree for things like belts or fluids, but valve clearance doesn't move with time, only with mileage...unless a mecanic explain the contrary.

Modified by El Gladiateur at 11:23 AM 6/23/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Cost of owning a Duc (foggy123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foggy123 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take purchase price and double for mods. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, I have only spent about £3000 GBP on top of the 749 (carbon fairing, racefit exhaust, other carbon spanglies, etc), does that mean I have to get my credit card limit extended?

Hmm...

The manager, credit card company....

Dear Sir,
Please give me lots of extra money as I have desmo-itis and if i dont get my bike fully sorted (Ohlins R+T forks and shock, Dymag wheels, spectraflair paint job, polished headers, engine blueprinting and gas flowing, etc) I am very likely to fall extremely ill, at which point I will be suing the ass from you, and you will have to live with yourself knowing that you deprived a beautiful italian from her new set of clothes.
I trust you will search your feelings, and do the right thing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts