Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't understand how that crossed up style works as fast as they are. I would think they would run out of tire quicker with that bike pulled over that far without hanging their upper body off.

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
you know looking at it, he isn't leaned over any further than anybody else on the grid; but my thought is, if his head was down his elbow would be on the ground. maybe he's head high just to keep it from draggin and puttin extra input into the front end.

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you look closely, you'll see that he has more of his lower body off the bike than most rider's that have their knee out (almost all of his butt is off) and he has to keep his knee tucked into the bike because there is basically no where to put it. I think he just feels more comfortable with his head high for better visibility...
but, what do I know...I'm just an old slow guy!!!:D

·
Can Afford To Be Critical
1,852 Posts
I think he just feels more comfortable with his head high...
I once read an article about the newer (younger) racers like Spies and how their style differs from the older riders like Schwantz, Rainey, Lawson, Spencer and this was one of the points in the column. Doohan was a hybrid of the two styles.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Great thread!!!!!

Does anyone have photo of the other styles so we can see the difference and might lead to better discussion?

Is one style better then the other???

·
Registered
869 Posts
Head and shoulders held higher, for better visibility and less strain on the body??
I've been criticized for holding my upper over the tank as opposed to "kissing the mirror" and I can definitely feel the difference. I do not feel comfortable when my upper is over the tank.

Here's the "proper" way to do it.
I think in this image, all three riders have their butt off and their uppers over the side, not over the tank.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Here's Bayliss...you can see his upper is twisted to stay over the tank while his body hangs off (half cheek style)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Rossi, in this image, has his upper in the "proper" position..

·
Registered
649 Posts
I've been criticized for holding my upper over the tank as opposed to "kissing the mirror" and I can definitely feel the difference. I do not feel comfortable when my upper is over the tank.

Here's the "proper" way to do it.
I think in this image, all three riders have their butt off and their uppers over the side, not over the tank.

Nice pixs. if the proper way is butt off and body off to the side VS half butt then in the first option where and what is the rider sitting on, or he is not sitting on anything at all its their legs keeping them up??? or they are sitting on 1/4 butt? They got to be sitting on something right just a bit at least? Or are they sitting with they thighs?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Nice pixs. if the proper way is butt off and body off to the side VS half butt then in the first option where and what is the rider sitting on, or he is not sitting on anything at all its their legs keeping them up??? or they are sitting on 1/4 butt? They got to be sitting on something right just a bit at least?
Actually, I've always been told half cheek and upper body off. Act like your putting your face where your rear view mirror would go or act like you're going to bite your wrist. Outside elbow would normally relax on the tank and outside foot would place pressure on the peg.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Actually, I've always been told half cheek and upper body off. Act like your putting your face where your rear view mirror would go or act like you're going to bite your wrist. Outside elbow would normally relax on the tank and outside foot would place pressure on the peg.

Half cheek and upper body off to side make more sense. If I try to get off the sit anymore I feel like I am about to fall off. I been told by other riders that I need to hang off MORE. For some reason I am just not that comfortable hanging off that far out??? I need to find ways to get comfortable because I know the more relax I feel the faster I can go.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Half cheek and upper body off to side make more sense. If I try to get off the sit anymore I feel like I am about to fall off. I been told by other riders that I need to hang off MORE. For some reason I am just not that comfortable hanging off that far out??? I need to find ways to get comfortable because I know the more relax I feel the faster I can go.
I honestly practice in my garage ALL the time with the bike on the stand. Just getting used to feeling that position helps. I'll try to get some more video of me on Father's Day weekend. Maybe I can show a good example...:rockon

·
Registered
649 Posts
I honestly practice in my garage ALL the time with the bike on the stand. Just getting used to feeling that position helps. I'll try to get some more video of me on Father's Day weekend. Maybe I can show a good example...

Great stuff, thank you. :rockon.

I just changed my Track bike not too long ago. So far I only have 2-3 track outting on it and I can't say I and the bike have fully bonded as one. I guess I need to find comfort and trust before I can go faster. Other thing is that I only get out on the bikes only onces a month. Its hard to get better like that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts