Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I stopped for gas yesterday, I was surprised by the fact that my gas cap lock was just about frozen stiff. After a lot of wiggling and damn near breaking off my key in the lock, it finally came undone. I'm wondering what I can do to unfreeze the lock? Will just shooting some lube in there work, or do I need a new lock, or should I just go buy one of the trick billet race caps so some jerk can pour sugar into my gas when I'm not looking?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Corrosion in lock? (blueSS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blueSS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I'm wondering what I can do to unfreeze the lock? Will just shooting some lube in there work, or do I need a new lock</TD></TR></TABLE>

At this point, what do you have to lose? Try some spray lube and see if it frees up any. I would certainly try before buying a new one.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

was it really corrosion or just too much pressure built up in the gas tank due to improper venting (you may have heard a "pop" when you opened the tank)?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Corrosion in lock? (edwyun)

I don't think it was pressure buildup. I couldn't physically turn the key and I heard no pop or hissing as if air was venting. Once I turned the key, it opened right up without any problems. I'll try some WD-40 or something before I do anything drastic or expensive.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

A little WD-40 will fix 'er up right quick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts