Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Get ride of those front fork covers and i like it. Right now, it looks like a RC8 mated with a Confederate Wraith and this is what they had

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
I still don't like this latest fashion shoirt-stubby tail affair. It goes against everything I know about aerodynamics and thus I see it as form over function. The fork covers may be worthwhile aerodynamically, but it'll take us some time to get used to this different profile (even if there is merit)

I wish they'd just bring out an updated street version of the 1200cc MGS-01

·
Registered
27 Posts

Hell, I'd take the track only version. That was the coolest guzzi I have ever seen.

This thing, not so sure. what are those rectangles underneath the cylinders? radiators? with extra bodywork around them? no thanks.

all they need to do is build an new 1100 sport with a 4 valve motor. Air cooled is fine. That's all I want... If it has to be water cooled, don't put the radiators on the frickin' sides.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Moto Guzzi is dying. The factory's about 60 miles from here so they are like part of the family and that's a shame.
They have been muddling through the '90s before being taken over by Aprilia. The Aprilia group literally bled itself dry over Guzzi but made some big mistakes.
The MGS-01 was basically an uprated Daytona, so it was really cool, but failure to come up with a road version meant it did little to improve the company's image and financial situation. BMW thanked them when they sold the zillionth R1100S, proving there was some money to be made in this niche, especially when your rivals are paralyzed.
Yes, BMW... it's no mystery that Aprilia first and Piaggio now tried to aim their most profitable models at BMW. The original Breva was a shameless R850/1150R clone, the Norge was an attempt to take on the R11500/1200RT while the Stelvio is yet another attempt by a European manufacturer to follow in the wake of the mighty R1200GS.
In the meantime the typical "Guzzi feeling" started to disappear from the rest of the models as they tried to appeal to the "retro" crowd.
Faithful Moto Guzzi customers aren't interested in retro models: they want something on the line of the V11 Sport, the last Guzzi to sell good numbers.
End result: while the market was in its heydays in 2008 Moto Guzzi built less than 6000 bikes for the first time since they restarted operations after WWII. Last year they went below the 5000 bikes mark. Piaggio is using its political connection to force the Norge on the State Police but officers' unions are resisting: when they got their R850RT after years of overweight and unreliable "public contract" Guzzis it was like a dream coming true. Now they want the R900/1200RT.
This concept is just what Woodman said: they took a KTM and grafted a Confederate Wraith front end on it. It's not a Guzzi: this is something Suzuki could come up with. ;)

·
contra mundum
5,316 Posts
I still don't like this latest fashion shoirt-stubby tail affair. It goes against everything I know about aerodynamics and thus I see it as form over function. The fork covers may be worthwhile aerodynamically, but it'll take us some time to get used to this different profile (even if there is merit)

+1
MGS-01 FTW!

not really digging any of the concepts except the hypertard

Attachments

·
Sharks in your mouth.
1,262 Posts
You guys aren't being totally fair...

The Strada concept:

and the Le Mans concept:

both have great stylistic ques that can lead MotoGuzzi to a new position in the market. Since they're in a Bermuda triangle at the moment, they have nothing to lose by trying to reinvent their designs and direction, while also trying to bring something "new" to the market (by design, function, integration or whatever).
Check out HellForLeather on a couple of interviews with the Guzzi designers (Terblanche and Galluzzi).

·
2,737 Posts
Just think how nice these two concepts would be without that complicated and expensive shaft drive.

So throw a chain on them already.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
bmw should buy them and make the company not suck, and keep it true to its nature. if bmw pushed them as expensive almost boutique bikes, they would turn higher profits with lower production numbers, and no one would hesitate to buy one if bmw stood behind it. seems like a win win

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
While those new Pierre bikes are interesting, I don't like the look of what appears to be added rear unsprung weight with the way the shock contributes to it. Even the frame side of the shock appears to have to ride up under compression, thus adding to unsprung mass. Very compact packaged suspension, but I'm not so sure about it's effectiveness on a bumpy road.

And I would hate for Guzzi to lose the shaft drive. I can't STAND exposed chains.....they may be lighter, but they're archaic in too many respects. Drop the O-rings to reduce friction, and run them in an enclosed oil bath if you have to, but I prefer belts and shafts to stupid chains any day. One day we will look back at them and think they are as daft as the exposed valve springs from the early 20th century. :)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
They're not called the European Harley for nothing . Married to the longitudinal V-Twin like H-D is to their anachronism . How about something different ?! A new 500cc V-8 to resurect the glorious past ? Yeah right , joking of course .:D But a fresh 4 cylinder sbk would be nice since I hear they have a few designers:rolleyes: . Surely they realize by now that the target audience for their traditional design is getting older and smaller . Tarting up the old helicopter/drone engine isn't going to cut it any longer .

·
Registered
607 Posts
You'd think they would have noticed the broken brake lever, or at least thought the viewer would notice and replaced it. Shame, shame...

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts