Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea.. I searched, yes I found a few threads.

Anyways, my 51's clutch will grab hard very suddenly from a stop about once every ride.

No, its not rider error.
The clutch makes a grinding noise of some sort for the split second it grabs. Anyone know what might be causing this? The fluid need flushing? bleeding?

Whats funny is... I used to have an old 1986 Honda 250R (quad) and it had the same type of problem, although that obviously had a cable clutch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Cold, grabby clutch (lllateralus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lllateralus »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The fluid need flushing? bleeding?

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Try it first. I bleed mine every 6 months, regardless of how it look like. I don't have any clutch problem,
since bought the bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Very very very old problem & actually it is rider error... Less rpms & slower clutch engagement will prevent it from ever happening again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, This is my 4th streetbike, (cbr, zx7r, r1, rc51), not to mention a very large number of off road quads and motorcycles ive owned...

You say that less RPM, and slower clutch engagement will prevent, and it might.
But I can assure you, rider error, it is not.

It is a mechanical problem. Air in the line, warped plates, ect.
Bike has 8,100 miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when i release mine when i downshift theres like a cluncking fealing just one per downshift have a sliper clutch is that normal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (lllateralus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lllateralus »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, This is my 4th streetbike, (cbr, zx7r, r1, rc51), not to mention a very large number of off road quads and motorcycles ive owned...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, the fourth one!
There are a number of members here that average more than that at one time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... I dont really care about how many bikes other 'members' have.

Also, because other folks have had MORE, or more at one time, how does this make me any LESS experienced with the clutch on a motorcycle?

One more thing. Im 24, and in San Diego, California. Most of the people my age around here have a 'gixxer', and its their first bike.

Why are you posting on this thread if you cant help me anyway?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lllateralus »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Why are you posting on this thread if you cant help me anyway? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Just trying to jack up my post total! You've already dismissed the advice from someone with far more experience. Why would what I say matter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you gave me some advise or a possible cause, it would matter.

Why do you care about your post count anyway?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ok let me try this then you phucktard. I don't care what you think you know or how many bikes you have or haven't owned as you still don't know a god damn thing about what you are talking about. This problem you speak of is inherent with the 7 plate clutch on the RC & if you are an inept rider & get too ham fisted on the take off it will lurch & make a squealing sound as you mentioned. I know this because I have been working on these bikes since they came out in 2000 & have seen this question pop up on various boards & at least 50 e-mails over the last 5 years in addition to experiencing it myself trying to do some drag style launches for the sake of experimenting with the bike. The solution is to take it easy & treat the relatively weak clutch set-up on the RC with some respect & not abuse it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK let me try this, you disrespectful asshole.

The VERY FIRST time I rode my RC51, again.. yes, the very first test ride, I was obviously being very easy with it as it was an unfamiliar bike. I released the clutch very slowly with very low RPM. Right at the start of the engagement point, it grabbed and spun the bald rear tire.

I dont care what kind of experience you have with whatever. I dont care if a clutch has 7 plates, or if its a barnett 9 plate race clutch in an LT500. They are not suppose to do what it did. Its a mechanical malfunction.

You think because you have 4 million posts in here, you think you can go off and insult me like that? Be glad you are a country away.

Modified by lllateralus at 12:45 PM 5/31/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
try a different oil. Different bikes and clutches I've had have worked better with oneoil or another. How many miles are on it(the clutch)? Have you taken it apart to make sure theres not a real problem? Are you the first owner? Does it have a stock clutch and springs? You say the tire was bald, Did someone beat the shit out of it before you had it? Maybe it Does have clutch wear issues.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reply pappawheelie.

I will look into a flush, and a change of oil.
The clutch is original. (8K miles) The bike
is an 01' in near new condition. very un-abused as far as I can tell. I just picked it up.

Both front and rear tires were bald, and in need of replacement. (replaced them right away)

OTHER than the obvious issue, the clutch seems fine! Under fast, redline shifts it grabs very tight. I took a ride on the new tires tonight (about 18 miles) and the clutch did not act up one bit.

I am really liking the RC so far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lllateralus »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why do you care about your post count anyway?</TD></TR></TABLE>
You mean you didn't sign up for "Get Paid to Post" when you registered? Oops there's another one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, sorry I missed that one.

The only reason I signed up here is get answers about my new RC51.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Cold, grabby clutch (LDH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LDH »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The solution is to take it easy & treat the relatively weak clutch set-up on the RC with some respect & not abuse it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Realatively weak clutch? As compared to ___________ ? Just curious on why the stock clutch is so weak. I hope LDH, a guy that knows what he's talking about (unless he says the RC is a pile of $h!t
), can elaborate a bit more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Cold, grabby clutch (SpeedKills)

I had exactly the same problem with my 2001 bike. When I first picked it up the clutch was mental and would attempt to launch me like a rocket. Scared the life out of me. It's nothing to do with clutch control like some people would have you believe. It would do it if I pulled away with 2000 revs or 10000!

It took me awhile to fix mine. I insepcted the clutch, no obvious problems, bleed the system, which had no effect. I eventually stripped the slave cylinder (down by the gear shifter) and found the piston was scored and sticky. I replaced it and the problem was fixed. Although its worth noting that I also changed the oil to Castrol R4 as these bikes are very picky. Something to do with additives in the oil.

Anyway hope this is of some use. Mine had been fine now for a year. Although it did grab last week but I gave it too much gas without warming the bike up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Cold, grabby clutch (robmbridge)

A consistent problem I agree would probably be mechanical, intermittent however... rider error

I've seen this way too many times.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you guys for the replys.

I went for a nice 30-40 mile ride yesterday and to my surprize, it did not act up at all. I am really starting to love this bike.

If it does this again (well, a few more times) I will probably take the slave cylinder route.

robmbridge, you say you just replaced the slave? Curious, how much did that set you back, and where did you get it?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts