Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just received this clutch pressure plate from Germany, must say it is incredible quality- just love the air cooling ducts!

On the 749, and I assume a similar design for all dry clutch Ducati, the clutch springs are removed, and the plate locates onto a drive bar which passes through the engine to operate. This appears to slide out of the engine.

Does anyone know ;
1) in sliding the operating bar out of the engine, does this dislodge anything it shouldnt internally?

2) How do you release the factory stock plate from the end of the bar?

cheers

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Clutch pressure plate installation (Jamie_Ducati)

1. No, but be sure to not squeeze your clutch lever while it's out.

2. If it's hard, you just pull it

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2. THe bar just pulls out. If it is stuck you may need to use a drift to encourage it. You may have to also transfer the throwout bearing from the old plate to the new if the new didn't come with one. Make sure you tighten down the spring keepers evenly in a star pattern when you put the new one on. Just so you don't get any uneven binding. Really, this is one of the easier things to do on the bike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (georgeb)

I have managed to get it installed now, the only challenge as such was not removal of the bar, but the end cap which inserts in the bearing and the outer end of the rod. This came out with some gentle persuasion by a rubber hammer and drift...

The springs were a tight fit into the new anodised plate 'tunnels', I have rotated the springs a few times, and guess that as the bike is used that these will seat slightly more loosely as the anodising wears.

I have had the bike running, clutch seems to work fine, only thing I have noticed is that when the lever is pulled in (ie plate out) that the plate seems to "wobble" very slightly, I guess this is normal?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know about the wobble, but here's my new setup from SpeedyMoto

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (Jamie_Ducati)

Sounds like you got everything installed. The wobble could be from all of the springs not tightened the same amount, just a guess? Just make sure they are all snug and no tighter. You might also want to double check to make sure you have the spring collar (on the hub) with the | (line) through it lined up with the correct hole on the pressure plate. The correct pressure plate hole is usually marked with an arrow head (stock plate), a dot (my yoyo plate), or something along those lines. Someone has a site with pics, but I can't remember who ATM.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (Shoie)

if you haven't yet pull everything apart order one of these STM clutch pushrod pin to go with your new presser plate.

erik996 nice looking setup.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (oneducs)

I have everything installed correctly and have been to a bike night this evening- everything works as it should

Having looked at a few ducatis they all seem to have the slight "wobble" which is one of the joys of a dry clutch I guess! Everything works as it should

Here is the proof of the pudding!...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Before anyone asks I do have plenty of oil in the bike, unfortunately the bike as shown here is leant over a long way (further than it should be!!!) due to a bent sidestand bracket (something to do with giving a rather overweight friend a test ride of the bike, she got on the bike putting pressure on the stand!!!)

Hope the new bracket arrives very soon!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

rule number one JD never let fat chicks on your ducati.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

i thought rule number one was-- never date anyone who outweighs you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: (cdansan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cdansan »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought rule number one was-- never date anyone who outweighs you.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes that is true if you don't own a ducati.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Have no fear, I am not dating her, I havent seen her for a year, and when met up again, she was very excited about buying a 749 dark... so i decided to put her out of her misery and let her take the 749 out... she currently rides a zzr-600 (zx600)...
All in the name of promoting Ducati!

well after 10 miles or so i crow barred her back off the bike (
) when she said " well i think i have found my engine" - meaning v twin- so i have pointed her in the direction of the ducati st range or MTS.

My real partner is of true Ducati approval

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Here is the picture of the damaged sidestand bracket (on the left);

My Duc will definitely not be subjected to a fat person again!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts