Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2000 RC for track duty and when I rode it for the first time, I noticed it had severe clutch slippage. So, I took it apart and when I did I noticed that 3 or 4 of the clutch plates were broken. All of the plates were still where they were supposed to be, but just cracked. 1 or 2 of them was broken into 4 or 5 pieces. The bike sat for over a year w/o being cranked...

My question is, can the plates become that brittle from sitting? Or do you think it's a sign of bigger problems? I'm not sure what other scenario would cause them to do that...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Clutch plates broken... (dhdrider)

Sounds like the previous owner was clutching it up or doing a lot of race starts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yup somebody was abusing the hell out of the bike...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Clutch plates broken... (LDH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LDH »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yup somebody was abusing the hell out of the bike...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome. I love getting other idiot's problems.

It only has 4K miles. And it sat for over a year, so the abuse was limited to a few years and low miles...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That's even worse!

Low mileage abuse accelerates wear on the engine & transmission that has not had time to bed in properly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Clutch plates broken... (LDH)

LDH, you're not making me feel any better!

Just kidding. I mostly wanted to make sure there werent any scenarios that I didn't think of that might cause the clutch plates to break.

I am installing a replacement clutch kit tomorrow and will post up the results.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (KevinTX)

I am installing a Barnett race kit. Comes will all the plates & springs. I pick it up tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Should be about $120 for it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (dhdrider)

That is a good kit I have used it too.

Might wanna drop your oil pan & take a peak too. Sometimes when the clutch plates break (especially if it is the fiber plates) they leave lots of small particle residue in the bottom of the oil pan that can get sucked up into the oil strainer screen & starve the engine for oil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (KevinTX)

I got it from my local shop. It's listed in the Parts Unlimited catalog. If you look it up at a local shop, the Barnett clutch section lists clutch plates, pads & springs separately. But, then it lists a complete race kit as one part number...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts