Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cleaned my 02 999 for the 2nd time and now remember why I hate cleaning bikes so much...

So I gotta ask do you..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Cleaning your Duc (socal)

Cleaning with Plexus after every ride makes it a snap
or honda polish

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Cleaning your Duc (brettmess24)

this has to be one of those trick questions ... right ...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ropes4u »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just cleaned my 02 999 for the 2nd time

So I gotta ask do you..</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by socal »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">'02 999-???</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brettmess24 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cleaning with Plexus after every ride makes it a snap
or honda polish
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here. Love that Honda stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Cleaning your Duc (drthompson65)

Lemon Scented Pledge.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eagle One Wet wipe & shine...religously. Cleaning my bike (and my cars) is worse than a bad drug addiction. FWIW, I saw an older (mid'90's) 750 SS with the half fairing and it was soooo nasty I was embarrased for the guy. Couldn't believe someone would ride a Duc, any Duc looking like that.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (galaxy)

I clean mine only when I'm parked at Starbucks.

Cheers,
D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brettmess24 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cleaning with Plexus after every ride makes it a snap
or honda polish
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Me too!!! also hit it with meguires wax ever few rides!!!! WD40 to clean the chain, and wax to lub it... Armor all hoses and the entire tire
Just kidding! Either way it would be tought to fine one cleaner than mine!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Cleaning your Duc (superbike2001)

Griot's Garage speed shine before, after and during any rides. Griot's spray on wax works really well too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Cleaning your Duc (f4mille)

That's a pretty bold statement there Superbike2001...I'll take that challenge

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Cleaning your Duc (galaxy)

I think most of us here are the same way! It's actually ironic that I just got this 97 916 with 20k on the clock and I have only had the chance to ride it around the block (broken leg). The previous owner was a clean freak like my self. Need less to say its spotless! Other than the normal stone bruises! But clean!!!! OH my god!

Not the best shot But more to come! Once the wheels arrive!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Cleaning your Duc (Ropes4u)

I didn't fall into any category in the poll, but the closest one was once a week. I'm a fanatic about avoiding scratches of any kind, even those very small ones that happen over time from regular cleaning, so I don't like to touch the finish unless I have to.

I like to take longer rides and this inevitably results in an embarassingly dirty bike, so I always do a complete top to bottom clean after a long ride.

The products I like best are:
1. S100 Total Cycle Cleaner for overall cleaning.
2. Plexus to polish
3. Kerosene to clean the chain
4. Chain wax to lube chain
5. A synthetic chamois to wipe water off bike before polishing
6. Honda cleaner on seat and windshield

Here is a picture of my Honda VFR 800 I sold this spring to buy a 749s
. I loved the VFR, especially with the Two Bros pipe, but was smitten by the Duc. I have about 300kms on the Duc and will be cleaning it for the first time very soon. I find it usually takes me a while to develop a cleaning strategy for every bike. Some of the biggest problems are how to avoid taking the bike completely apart to get at the nooks and crannies and how to avoid getting water in those nooks where you can't clean or polish properly!

I think this topic would make a great thread "How I clean my Ducati!"

Anyways, the VFR was a 99 with 14,000 kms and it looked as good as any new bike in the showroom. Careful, regular cleaning is magical!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Cleaning your Duc (superbike2001)

I ride mine dirty.....just like my women....hahaha

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Cleaning your Duc (ducatiwheelie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ducatiwheelie »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ride mine dirty.....just like my women....hahaha
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ducatiwheelie you should change your name to Dirty Sanchez

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Cleaning your Duc (arty)

Unless of course, thats oil on the floor underneath the bike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Cleaning your Duc (socal)

Soap. Water. Compressed air. Done.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Cleaning your Duc (Ropes4u)

For all the "fanatical" cleaning that goes on here, I am surprised no one has mentioned Zaino. This is premier stuff for show cars and works great on bikes as well. Application takes a little time, but well worth it. The site says more then I could - http://www.zainostore.com . I just use thier non static cleaner when I want to do a quick wipe down.

Aaron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Cleaning your Duc (Racer666)

I clean mine when it's dirty.

The time it takes to get dirty depends on the road conditions that are traveled, the weather and how many bugs are in the air.

Then there is the question, is it just a polish/wipedown or a full strip/all the bodywork/go at it with a toothbrush cleaning?

The polish/wipedown is the variable, the full on cleaning is 3 times a year and every time before it goes in for service or after a trackday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts