Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what would be the best thing to clean the magnesium cases on my engine with? I know it's best to keep water away from Magnesium but I want to freshen up my bike. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Tell us some more about this bike. 851 with an oil cooler, carbon air intake, corse tank/fuel line set up.....i am interested.

The best thing i have found for those covers is to spray them with brake kleen and then some WD or some other spray that inhibits corrosion or rust.

you can do simple green and water just follow with a good air hose dry and the same WD or other spray.

·
2,737 Posts
You might find it difficult to clean up that cover. The green sealer as used on mag has a flat finish and is slightly porous which soaks up oil etc. I'd have a go at it with mineral spirits to dilute and lift the oil then give er with dish washing detergent.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You might find it difficult to clean up that cover. The green sealer as used on mag has a flat finish and is slightly porous which soaks up oil etc. I'd have a go at it with mineral spirits to dilute and lift the oil then give er with dish washing detergent.
+1 on that. Try some Dawn that will cut the oil. You definitely do not want to use a caustic cleaner. I'm also leery of Simple Green. I've heard numerous stories about it and aluminum, but I've not experienced it firsthand.

-Bob

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys. I have had a bad experience with Simple Green on a carbon fender on a 996 track bike I had but I still use a diluted mix on my 998R with no issue.

To answer the question...the bike is a rare 1991 Raymond Roche. One of the actual homologation bikes brought into the country but was never raced. I think it's the only one in the country. The bike has Tricolore pipes on it now for street use. ;) The race Termis are too loud so they are in the spares crate. If anyone is interested I'll post some pics and info. Thanks for the help.

Hailwood I sent you an email about Corse parts for my 998R. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Absolutely beautiful bike SPS--I love the look of the the reverse megaphone exhaust as well--It blends with that bike perfectly. The F4 Senna is also drop dead gorgeous!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolutely beautiful bike SPS--I love the look of the the reverse megaphone exhaust as well--It blends with that bike perfectly. The F4 Senna is also drop dead gorgeous!
Thanks a lot for the compliments. I agree. :p I wasn't really feeling the mega pipes at first but they do have a beautiful sound. I will be putting the Race Termis back on soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
great bike, you are lucky to have got one that did not get the crap beat out of it.

I responded to your email, not too much for the 998R.

post a few more pics of the 851 please.

Leslie

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ Thanks. Here are a few pics... enjoy

Attachments

·
2,737 Posts
You can buy the green finish at Aircraft Spruce, if it comes to that. Nice bike.
I looked on Spruce, Wag etc. for the green mag primer as it does a great job of blocking oxygen impingement. Couldn't find it. Do you have a part number or catalog page? I can get it from an industrial distributor in 5 gallon pails but eff that..........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Beautiful, indeed!! :notworthy

Those pipes are great but not on the race bike. I would put the race cans on and the Ferrari Sticker off!! That's all there is to do!!

Marvelous!! :clapper

1 - 20 of 25 Posts