Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've took the wheel off (replacing a slightly messed up rotor).

While i have it off, i decide to clean the calipers and deglaze the pads.

I took the pads out of the calipers, and had a go at the surface with a lil 3M light rust/paint remover disc.

Now, i am about to spray the calipers with brake cleaner. My question is:

Is it ok if some of the cleaning liquid oversprays into the piston openings, or should I avoid that?

Also, is 3m light rust/paint remove disc ok to deglaze the pads? What about the rotors?

Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Cleaning calipers (jbraslins)

Take your pads and rub against a flat surface with sandpaper 100 grit would be fine. Don't spray the inside of your calipers with brake cleaner. There is a good chance you may swell up the seals unless you are changing those out anyways. Recommend an old toothbrush - soap and water.

On the rotors you can have them done professionally done by bead blasting them, do it yourself by taking wet sandpaper 220-600 and progressivley move up till they are clean, use a rotary tool - just don't keep in one place too long.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Cleaning calipers (KoolDuc)

Swell the seals? Yikes.

I cleaned the calipers before i was able to read your reply. I did not directly spray the cleaner into the openings, but i am sure some prolly got in there as the spray jet bounced of the caliper.

Now i am worried ill have a complete brake failure once @ the track.

Anything i can do to check the seals besides riding it and seeing how it feels?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Cleaning calipers (jbraslins)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbraslins »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Swell the seals? Yikes.

I cleaned the calipers before i was able to read your reply. I did not directly spray the cleaner into the openings, but i am sure some prolly got in there as the spray jet bounced of the caliper.

Now i am worried ill have a complete brake failure once @ the track.

Anything i can do to check the seals besides riding it and seeing how it feels?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Visually inspect the seals for cracks/tears while still in the caliper; I've gotten brake cleaner all over the calipers and seals on my car and haven't had a problem.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Cleaning calipers (hubert)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hubert »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Visually inspect the seals for cracks/tears while still in the caliper; I've gotten brake cleaner all over the calipers and seals on my car and haven't had a problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

+1 I think your safe with the brake cleaner. I have done the same with no issues.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Cleaning calipers (brettmess24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brettmess24 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">+1 I think your safe with the brake cleaner. I have done the same with no issues.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Me too! Brake cleaner all over the calipers with zero problems!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Cleaning calipers (DC Duc)

I know this is going to sound stupid as hell, but bear with me.

I cleaned up my calipers at work in the solvent tank (pads out and brake line holes plugged) then to get the solvent off, I used hot water, Dawn dish washing detergent a scrub brush (nylon bristles)...I shouldn't have even bothered with the solvent. The Dawn took everthing thing off, and the calipers look great!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Cleaning calipers (Tornado-rider)

i have never had a problem with caliper issues related to even crazy spraying of brake cleaner to the caliper....not in it....but on and around it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Cleaning calipers (throttlehead)

We talking about fully disassembling the calipers? Tornado - I hope so if your soaking them in a solvent tank. Didn't learn this until recently but it's best to use brake fluid as the assembly lube when putting them back together. Oils/grease do not mix well w/brake fluid. I love break cleaner I spray it on everything
Come on DC Duck I left myself open with that one

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Cleaning calipers (Dave B.)

Using break cleaner is fine. Only risk you run is drying out the seals. THey wont swell at all. Break cleaner will dry them out over time if your cleaning them often. You'll be fine. Keep it up on two and let us know how you do!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts