Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get a class 1 hitch for my Accord (2000# tow, 200# tounge weight). This seems sufficient to haul a single streetbike with ease.

Any suggestions on what to buy. Ebay has a cheap ($600 or so) fold up type single rail trailer that will fit in a trunk, but it looks dicey to me. If anyone has experience it would be appreciated.
Motorcycle Folding Trailer Carrier Rail IN a Trunk-Bag - eBay (item 400173604740 end time Feb-13-11 23:35:44 PST)

A fully enclosed trailer would be nice but a PITA to store and not sure how fast I would exceed the weight rating. At least I could use it for other things and security is better.

Not really interested in building one.

Ideally an open trailer would haul a single bike and fold for storage.

Suggestions?

·
Street and Track Moderator
3,888 Posts
Horbor freight has a $300.00 fold up trailer that works like a charm. All you have to do is cut an 8' sheet of 3/4 plywood in half ( I spray the plywood down with truck bed liner that you buy in a can at Walmart for rain protection) and you have a foldable, lightweight trailer that will haul 2 bikes (with strapless stands or baxley chocks) like there was nothing behind your vehicle. I have an 18' enclosed trailer as well but use my little Harbor Freight special more. BTW, I have had it for 4 years without any trouble whatsoever!

1195 Lb. Capacity 48" x 96" Heavy Duty Foldable Utility Trailer with 12" Wheels - Trailer & Trailer Accessories - Automotive & Motorcycle

Matthew

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
This is my setup. It's a 2004 Karavan open trailer.

It's not bad when it's new but the elements over time wear out the mesh style flooring. When it was new I could carry 2 bikes now I wouldn't chance it. One is enough. A few years back I had iron boards welded into the frame to reinforce some sections. Smart move. The trailer ran me about $600 at the time.

As was mentioned already there are some cheaper options but just keep an eye on the wear and tear especially if you'll be keeping it outside. In my first pic you can see my frayed wires. They didn't hold up well to the elements over time. At my last track day in November the crew went to pick up a guy who ran out of gas with a harbor freight style trailer. When they made the turn onto pit row off of the track the hook broke out of the wood and both the guy and the bike fell off. Sucks that the guy damaged a perfect bike without crashing. The ride back to the pit did him in due to a cheap trailer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Kendon ones, in my experience are excellent...They make single, dual and 3 rail units....The platforms are nice and low to make loading easier....the wheel chocks are adjustable to width and the rails are removable to make it an open flatbed trailer. The single has a 1000 lb capacity. Here's a link to their site.

Kendon Stand-Up Trailers

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought the fold up from Harbor Freight and it works great (I built it without the folding option). It isn't the most fancy trailer out there, but I only travel 20 miles to the track and it does the trick.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Horbor freight has a $300.00 fold up trailer that works like a charm. All you have to do is cut an 8' sheet of 3/4 plywood in half ( I spray the plywood down with truck bed liner that you buy in a can at Walmart for rain protection) and you have a foldable, lightweight trailer that will haul 2 bikes (with strapless stands or baxley chocks) like there was nothing behind your vehicle. I have an 18' enclosed trailer as well but use my little Harbor Freight special more. BTW, I have had it for 4 years without any trouble whatsoever!

1195 Lb. Capacity 48" x 96" Heavy Duty Foldable Utility Trailer with 12" Wheels - Trailer & Trailer Accessories - Automotive & Motorcycle

Matthew
That is the exact trailer I bought...but its been heavily changed. Its does and awesome job of holding one bike, might be able to squeeze two on there if you are creatative. Hauled it behind a WRX with no issues.

·
Registered
460 Posts
+1 on the Harbour Freight fold up special...
several trips to JenningsGP (100miles away), and one to Barber(700miles)... no problems at all

one word of caution, that seller on ebay sucks ass... just bought an "XL" armour suit from them, it was a medium at best, no return policy... getting a return, but after actual shipping costs it's only about $8.95 worth

·
Registered
319 Posts
+2 on the Kendon. Pricey, but excellent.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I will probably get the Harbor Freight model. With a few additional parts like side walls it could be used for several other things. We are planning some serious landscaping changes this spring, might as well factor in $700 or so to get the trailer and build it the way we need to haul all the stuff around.

·
Registered
155 Posts
+1 on the Harbour Freight fold up special...
several trips to JenningsGP (100miles away), and one to Barber(700miles)... no problems at all
I've had the Harbor Freight for over 10 years and several thousand miles with no problems. Instead of plywood, I bought a sheet of aluminum tread plate, cut in to two 4' x 4' pieces...the top will be around longer than I will.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got this 4X6 cargo trailer used for $300. Lost count how many times I've towed to the track or Deals Gap.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Buy a used Kendon. Independent Suspension. Large wheels. You can load the bike yourself. Folds in half and flips up onto casters. They last forever. This one I found in the recycler. I paid $800. The rails are removable on the newer version of the double. The trailer can then be used for hauling things other than motorcycles.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got this 4X6 cargo trailer used for $300. Lost count how many times I've towed to the track or Deals Gap.

I always thought that '06 R1 in the anniversary colors was probably the best-looking Yamaha ever made.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks, but sadly it is no more:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts