Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012, imo is looming. The season is effectively over here, with frost in the a.m. and riding cut down to 3 hrs a day, from noon to 3.

I've passed a major milestone in my career, and one thing I promised myself was a new bike(s). The Desmosedici was on the cards but certain aspects have put me off it.

A sportbike is a must.

A chopper, is a consideration. I've always liked them, never considered one as my only bike but it would likely be a 4th or 5th bike.

So would you buy one, esp. given the depressed market for them. Once $50,000 plus bikes are in the range of $15-20K.

Any experience? Thanks.

·
virtually real
143 Posts
Not my thing, although a V-max chopper could be good entertainment :D but regarding those values I wouldn't be surprised if they're still on their way down down down.

·
Registered
409 Posts
2012, imo is looming. The season is effectively over here, with frost in the a.m. and riding cut down to 3 hrs a day, from noon to 3.

I've passed a major milestone in my career, and one thing I promised myself was a new bike(s). The Desmosedici was on the cards but certain aspects have put me off it.

A sportbike is a must.

A chopper, is a consideration. I've always liked them, never considered one as my only bike but it would likely be a 4th or 5th bike.

So would you buy one, esp. given the depressed market for them. Once $50,000 plus bikes are in the range of $15-20K.

Any experience? Thanks.
Assuming you want to ride it and you're not doing this as a risky investment,
buy what YOU want. If you really can't decide, you don't want it bad enough and the money would be put to better use elsewhere.

What milestone in your career did you pass? What to have for lunch...:D

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts

A sportbike is a must.

Any experience? Thanks.
Call up CARR Moto and reserve your Panigale! :D

Choppers are cool though but I personally couldn't spend that kind of money on one. I could see myself with a V-Rod and I think I'd be happy with that.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I hear ya , b/c on those hot and humid days (common hear in Ontario) , it's nice to have a fun , comfortable second bike to use that's still cool . If by "chopper" you mean the many boutique bikes with HD-clone engines , then be very careful b/c most are shit , and their builders have gone out of business recently . You may think that $15K for a machine with an original MSRP of $40K is a deal , but not when you're tearing the 300 km-old engine apart on a sunny day -- a friend's predicament . But yes , I'd ride a mega-inch chop , just for those 0 to 60 blasts , which can't get me in the same trubba as my RC .:D

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
you guys realize that all the pics posted so far would be considered "bobbers", which is a term we had to come up with to describe what chopper originally meant, before the term became associated with mile long forks and coffin tanks.

·
2,737 Posts
My first bike was built up part by part '48 panhead chopper. Man was I cool...
Before you buy something sqd, ride a bike in the style you think you'd like. I'm sure you'll find it's the most miserable riding foul assemblage of vibrating rubbish you ever rode. Nonetheless once in a great while I yearn for the smell of an old harley burning oil and kick starting a pan head.

If I were, due to a mental lapse, do it again, it would be something like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
IMHO...if you are thinking of heading down this road buy something unique, buy something that stands out from the rest...I am not talking about paint jobs that should be put in the nearest travelling circus...but bikes like the ones posted above.
A couple of years ago I bought a Fatboy. I changed it around, slammed it, dragged it, fattened it up...it it is nothing more than a simple variation of the guys bike down the road and most of all of the other fatboy`s on the road. Now I am looking at unloading it to do just that....an expensive lesson I guess....

However with one off`s come hand in hand unique mechanical/electrical problems and failures, not to mention insuring issues ¨that need to be checked in to...etc.

·
Sharks in your mouth.
1,262 Posts
I'd consider a newer 883 iron with drag bars, chopped rear fender, and a solo springer seat. I don't know why, as its anathema to what I've always wanted out of a motorcycle (i.e., performance), but for whatever reason, I have the same irrational desire for a "chopper/bobber" to just roll on.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
I hear ya , b/c on those hot and humid days (common hear in Ontario) , it's nice to have a fun , comfortable second bike to use that's still cool . If by "chopper" you mean the many boutique bikes with HD-clone engines , then be very careful b/c most are shit , and their builders have gone out of business recently . You may think that $15K for a machine with an original MSRP of $40K is a deal , but not when you're tearing the 300 km-old engine apart on a sunny day -- a friend's predicament . But yes , I'd ride a mega-inch chop , just for those 0 to 60 blasts , which can't get me in the same trubba as my RC .:D
In my office there are two Big Dogs and one American Ironhorse (both companies now defunct).

You have to be leery of these types of bikes that use some bespoke parts as they have quickly become unobtainable. Also because of their short runs, these types of parts weren't exactly throroughly tested either. The American Ironhorse has went through two dash displays in two years, $800 a pop and worldwide supply now is basically gone. What happens in summer 2012 when the vibration kills his last one?

I will say the Big Dogs were nicely finished and have proven to be reliable for the amount the guys actually ride them. However if you look at other custom builders you realize that the vast majority were built by hacks who didn't understand frame geometry and didn't know how to weld. Most actual craftmanship sucks if you look close. I saw an OCC that from five feet was nice and shiny, but looking closely at the welds and bodyparts it was a pile of shit.

What about a cafe racer? Maybe a new Thruxton with many parts to customize it. Still retro cool, but modern and reliable.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.