Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put some foam on the inside of my fiberglass bodywork. Mainly the stuff around the radiators. I just don't feel like paying $5 for an eight inch strip of foam (six times) and $20 for a eight inch square.

Anyone had luck with getting foam locally like at the home
improvement stores? I've got some of the stuff you put around
doors and windows, but I think it might melt up against the radiator.

And what about heat shield? What do you guys use? Is it even necessary?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Just fitted my fiberglass bodywork so I can tell.

Heat shield. I am using self-adhesive aluminum tape, the kind used on water boilers. I paid one large roll 6€ and it's good for plenty of stuff besides this. It's as thick as OE so should do its job nicely.

Insulating foam. I have an industrial rubber and plastic supplier about 5 miles from home so I just got there and bought everything I needed. I got industrial grade stuff: it costs considerably more than home improvement stuff but hopefully should do the trick.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Just the info I need. I didn't even think of the tape the use on water heaters, I'll see if they have any at the stores here.

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seem`s a little high to me, but I`m guessing this would do it!

Heat Shield for your Bike - 13x Forums
That looks pretty spiffy. I can only guess how much mark-up there is on something like that. You start putting fancy words like ceramic or carbon on things and then market them as things for motorcycles and triple the price.

Like Tygon tubing, you can get it from computer supply stores for like $2 a foot, yet online motorcycle places will sell it for $5-$8 a foot.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
That looks pretty spiffy. I can only guess how much mark-up there is on something like that. You start putting fancy words like ceramic or carbon on things and then market them as things for motorcycles and triple the price.

Like Tygon tubing, you can get it from computer supply stores for like $2 a foot, yet online motorcycle places will sell it for $5-$8 a foot.
You are spot on. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts