Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here currently using one? How do you like it? How well does it work?

Most importantly, are the GMRS X1 and FRS X2 compatible with each other?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Chatterbox users? (theman1990)

My parents had a set about 6-8 years ago. I think they worked good for a while then they started to get too much interference from the engine. I'm sure they have improved since then. How much do they cost now?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I HAVE HAD THE FRS X2 FOR TWO YEARS.IT IS MOUNTED ON MY CHASE HARPER TANKBAG.I ALSO HAVE MY ROADY XM RADIO WIRED TO IT. MINE WORK'S GREAT.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (theman1990)

I hated the older FRS model before the X-serious...the only thing the FRS was good for was for my nieces and nephew to play with them inside the house and as Intercom..other than those two uses?? NOTHING
A waste of $$$$$ cause I had two other buddies brought them with me so we could talk trash while riding.....that NEVER happen so now I'm talking trash about them

NO really the older model suck major ju ju...three of us would try talking at slow free way speed around here in NorCal at 65 or even unsafe speed of 45 and NADA
...must have looked pretty stupid to other riders seeing us give more hand signal to eachother while having the non-Chatterbox stuck to the side of our head

The new X1 and X2,, of which I have the X1 but haven't had the chance to use it because it isn't compatiable with the FRS headset or extention wire
which I have in abundance
SO I couldn't tell ya much but if you have riding buddies and want the best??? AUTOCOM is the way to go. Advertise at 205mph...NO really they . They work. ANyone that has one has told me nothing BUT the best about AutoCom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Be patient - (secret) - new ones on the way - blue tooth - wireless.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blue tooth has "been coming soon" for some time now. The new X1's are pretty decent...I have one that I just picked up but haven't really tried yet but all my friends rave about them. They are apparently very much improved over the old sets.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by theman1990 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone on here currently using one? How do you like it? How well does it work?

Most importantly, are the GMRS X1 and FRS X2 compatible with each other?</TD></TR></TABLE>

5 years ago we had a group of about 10 of us that used the old style HJC40 Chatterbox, they were pretty good in town but very annoying at speed using the VOX, if you used the Push-to-talk switch they were fine up to about a 1/4 mile.

Now I have the X2 and really like it at least for myself and the wife usinmg the intercom feature, noise reduction is much improved over the old style. I hook up my MP3 player and cell phone (for emergencies only I'm not squiding down the road talking to Mom), and its great. If the wife is close by we can talk with her using a $20 walkie talkie, has come in handy before. I have yet to use them with other riders yet but I have picked up any engine noise either, will let you know when some of the other guys get hooked up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have had my X1 for almost two years now. Works good everywhere except the freeway, then you have to kinda yell.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (theman1990)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by theman1990 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it compatible with the FRS X2 people?</TD></TR></TABLE> YES YES but the thing to remember is when you get the Noise Reduction(NR stamp on the connectors) component? They are not compatible with non-NR head set and cables.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Chatterbox users? (RC51RobW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC51RobW »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">5 years ago we had a group of about 10 of us that used the old style HJC40 Chatterbox, they were pretty good in town but very annoying at speed using the VOX, if you used the Push-to-talk switch they were fine up to about a 1/4 mile.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very good description. I still have the HJC-90 "classic" that a buddy and I use. VOX is pretty much useless on the highway, but can be improved with carefull placement of the mic (and mic sock) and a quiet helmet. If I tucked in at all though, my buddy would get an earful of RC51 intake noise! PTT switch is great and solves most problems. Also with the original we would pick up the occasional cordless phone conversation around town.

If I ever upgrade I'll be buying a handheld GMRS with a helmet headset and remote PTT switch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Chatterbox users? (Bill Gates)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bill Gates »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Very good description. I still have the HJC-90 "classic" that a buddy and I use. VOX is pretty much useless on the highway, but can be improved with carefull placement of the mic (and mic sock) and a quiet helmet. If I tucked in at all though, my buddy would get an earful of RC51 intake noise! PTT switch is great and solves most problems. Also with the original we would pick up the occasional cordless phone conversation around town.

If I ever upgrade I'll be buying a handheld GMRS with a helmet headset and remote PTT switch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thought about going that route but I mainly use it to integrate the MP3 and cell phone and intercom rather than talking to other riders, if anyone decides to get the X1 or X2 DONT pay the $30 for cell phone cord, I made mine for about $7, email me for very simple instructions, actually they only make a cord for 2 or 3 phones so you probably have to make one anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts