Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
tough as sardines
196 Posts
just flushed and changed to water/water wetter yesterday. I pretty much did what that guy did, just fewer cycles, 4 iirc.

Each time I filled with distilled water I let the bike get up to 219 and the fans kicked on. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes and then drain. Refill and repeat with the bike on the side stand. Also took out the reservoir and drained it. I didn't remove the left radiator completely to get it out, just loosened it enough.

·
Registered
170 Posts
das rider is actually in the same town as me, along with sneaky223. we deff need to get a nc rc51 meetup going.

·
Registered
170 Posts
im game after some new shoes. how far are you from raleigh?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just did it myself last week. Flushed with 3 gallons of distilled water total. Filled with water wetter and a distilled. Only loosened one or two bolts on the rad to get the res out to flush it.

Complete job from start to finish took less than an hour.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im game after some new shoes. how far are you from raleigh?
Google maps has it at 250 miles. I'm all the way into the mountains, not far from TN. There are a bunch of fantastic rides around here.
Just did it myself last week. Flushed with 3 gallons of distilled water total. Filled with water wetter and a distilled. Only loosened one or two bolts on the rad to get the res out to flush it.

Complete job from start to finish took less than an hour.
Sweet. I'm hoping for some temp reduction with the Engine Ice, bike hits 215-220 in motion (when revving high) as it sits:eek:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Google maps has it at 250 miles. I'm all the way into the mountains, not far from TN. There are a bunch of fantastic rides around here.

Sweet. I'm hoping for some temp reduction with the Engine Ice, bike hits 215-220 in motion (when revving high) as it sits:eek:
Definitely great riding up there!!!

With the addition of rad fins and ww, my cruising temp is at 186 now, from like 215 or so.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Akilldema,

Engine ice only helps a little bit, like 5 degrees. Put 2 Spal pusher fans behind the radiators and add a manual switch. I can keep the engine temp below 190 on the hottest days using this setup (although I'm sure it gets much hotter where you are).

Eric

·
Registered
314 Posts
I definitely think so based on the change in temp. and would recommend them to anyone but the front mounters ... But even then it still might help improving airflow.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Akilldema,

Engine ice only helps a little bit, like 5 degrees. Put 2 Spal pusher fans behind the radiators and add a manual switch. I can keep the engine temp below 190 on the hottest days using this setup (although I'm sure it gets much hotter where you are).

Eric
FWIW I'm in Savannah and we're already in the 90's and I saw 20 ish degree drop but that's with water wetter because I'm not to worries about cold protection.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was wondering the same recently. I just flushed it a couple times. Just going with distilled water for a track day, so I didn't spend too long on it.
My VFR has a drain bolt under the front cylinders to drain the water jacket, and I was looking for something similar on the RC. Didn't find anything in the manual, so I guess not. Pulled the bottom hose from the pump and drained from there, like the book says.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it all done. Wasn't too bad, used 3.5 gallons of distilled water. Hoping the engine ice keeps the bike a bit cooler. I kinda wish I'd gone with water wetter, as it sounds like it might be a better coolant. My bike isn't parked outside, so freezing isn't an issue. I'll likely do the spal fans soon.

·
tough as sardines
196 Posts
yeah man, we should definitely do a meet up sometime. I'm near Raleigh, so Asheville/Deals Gap is only about a 5-6 hour ride.

Poolboy, if your running temp used to be 215 while moving you probably had some air in the system somewhere. The manual has us blipping the throttle a handful of times with the bike on the sidestand to burp the system and purge the air from it. 186 sounds much better.

The process on the RC is much easier than my old SV1000. Suzuki had you rocking the bike back and forth and tapping the thermostat housing repeatedly.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
My bike hits 215-220 at 60+ in the mountains, but I'm revving it to 8-9k. This still seemed high to me. I hadn't messed with the coolant in my bike prior to yesterday, it may have been low or had air in the system. I followed the instructions of letting it idle for 3 min and revved it several times after filling, then topping off and filling the side tank. I'm a little disappointed I didn't do more research before buying coolant, it seems engine ice offers little improvement over standard antifreeze.

I'd def be down to ride whenever you guys can make it over. StriderF4i and I are also likely going to meet up soon, he's in Greenville SC about an hour from here. Be cool to coordinate a bunch of us terrorizing some mountain roads.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Poolboy, if your running temp used to be 215 while moving you probably had some air in the system somewhere. The manual has us blipping the throttle a handful of times with the bike on the sidestand to burp the system and purge the air from it. 186 sounds much better. QUOTE]

Negative... Definitely one of the things i checked when I first bought the bike. I changed the engine and clutch/brake brake fluid. And I burped the system a couple times while I had the fairings off to kill two birds with one stone. I just changed the oil again and went to W.W. and new spark plugs while I was at it.

I think its just the 105 degree road temp and 1,000,000,000% Humidity lol.

However this could be the case for someone in a colder climate

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.