Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got inspired this weekend and decided to tear down the bike and clean up some of the chain grease that has built up over time. As I was doing so I realized an amazing amount of grease on the rubber chain guide or guard and so I decided to remove it. Then as I was trying to put it back in I sliced my finger pretty deep so I gave up and left it off.

Long story short......is that guard needed or not?

The chain doesn't seem to rub on the swingarm but then again I didn't ride the bike when I was done.

thanks in advance

·
Jenias Member
1,510 Posts
Id keep it on there. Its there for a reason. The chain will hit the swingarm at some point unless you have it adjusted too tight.

·
half-fast member
340 Posts
Agreed, put it back on. The chain will slap around and start to wear a groove in the swingarm which may lead to cracking from that point.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that is what I figured. That will be next weekends journey. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Coincidentally enough I was looking at mine just the other night while checking my chain tension. I noticed in the owners manual it states that if the chain is slacked to 50 mm or greater then you'll run this risk of frame damage. With the chain slider in place on the swing arm I think the damage after that will be evident on the frame where the chain exits on its way back to the rear sprocket. If the chain ever becomes too loose it'll slack and hit your frame piece there. The slider itself on the swing arm, though, yeah, leave it on there.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Oh yeah..do check those guards if you ride your RC a whole lot. My chain ate through the guard and into the swingarm/pivot area. About $45 from Ronayers for a new one:banghead

It's interesting to see a long piece of plastic jammed into your front sprocket also.:D:wtf:banghead:eek:

·
half-fast member
340 Posts
Ron Ayers is running a 10% off of *everything* this weekend, a good time to pick up some maintenance pieces!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picking up the bike from the shop tomorrow. Everything has been put back on and cleaned up.

Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts