Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time for me to tighten my chain a little bit, but I can't figure out how to tell if the chain needs to be replaced soon. On the bottom of the swing arm is that sticker that tells you where a chain should be when its new and when it needs to be replaced, but there is nothing to gauge the axel to the sticker. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't tightened it yet since I've only put about 2k on the bike since getting it.

The PO said it was the original chain on the bike, but I'm not so sure how you keep an original chain looking so new after 18k.

There is still plenty of room to tighten it.

·
Shane RC51
889 Posts
prolly OK if there is room but if you have not done a 520 chain conversion this is a good excuse to get one:D
I agree with Mark. Good excuse to go with a 520. How do the sprockets look? I use that as a guide for when to replace the chain. I've never had a sprocket outlast a chain. When the sprockets go, so does the chain...

·
Can Afford To Be Critical
1,852 Posts
Take your thumb and forefinger and, at the rear of the sprocket, pull the chain directly backwards. If it lifts off the sprocket more than half a tooth depth, its ready to be replaced. Sprockets may be ready, too.

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
I agree with Mark. Good excuse to go with a 520. How do the sprockets look? I use that as a guide for when to replace the chain. I've never had a sprocket outlast a chain. When the sprockets go, so does the chain...

good way to put it:rockon never had a sprocket outlast a chain either

·
calculating status...
1,667 Posts
Take your thumb and forefinger and, at the rear of the sprocket, pull the chain directly backwards. If it lifts off the sprocket more than half a tooth depth, its ready to be replaced.
I don't know about that. I've put brand new kit on and been able to do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts