Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone had luck fighting speeding tickets. looking for info on how accurate radar guns really are. There was a case her in MN where a police plane clocked a guy on a rc51 doing 203mph. PLEASSSSSE. Thanks for the advice.

·
Geez. Some people...
1,615 Posts
Unfortunately, radar guns are pretty damn accurate.

The RC51 guy in MN wasn't caught on radar. He was timed between two fixed points on the ground, and his speed was, err... "calculated" by someone who must not have been too good at math.

What was your speed and the speed limit when you were caught? If it was more than about 15 or 20 over, there's not much chance you'll get out of it...

·
Registered
55 Posts
ducdodger said:
anyone had luck fighting speeding tickets. looking for info on how accurate radar guns really are. There was a case her in MN where a police plane clocked a guy on a rc51 doing 203mph. PLEASSSSSE. Thanks for the advice.
Like AZ Scott says, radar guns are very accurate. Any error (i.e., the angle of the gun to the vehicle being targeted) actually works in the speeder's favor as it LOWERS the speed readout. And besides, you said you were "caught red handed" so you must have been speeding :D .

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
This could be internet myth, but I just read about this and haven't tried it. Latest idea is to send the ticket in with a check for a couple dollars more than the correct amount, then when they send you a check back for the overage never ever cash it. Supposedly the transaction can't clear and it never is viewed as complete so it doesn't go on your record. You sent all the money so they don't come after you either.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Phil 998 said:
This could be internet myth, but I just read about this and haven't tried it. Latest idea is to send the ticket in with a check for a couple dollars more than the correct amount, then when they send you a check back for the overage never ever cash it. Supposedly the transaction can't clear and it never is viewed as complete so it doesn't go on your record. You sent all the money so they don't come after you either.
Myth.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/t/tickets.htm

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
Ok let me qualify this statement by first saying I was a City Detective (handgun Unit). So I have a geat deal of testifying under my belt. I have seen traffic cases won and lost based on preparation. Meaning the cop doesn't have the current calibation certs for the unit used. The officer must bring his and the units certs and calibration doc. Do not agree that the officer is an expert. This is your only chance to question the tactics and experience. All units have an ID that needs to be indicated on the citation (hint). You can request the history of the unit (hint). The unit needed to be calibrated prior to the days use commonly done by tuning fork (hint). Ask him how and when. Radar uses sound so weather doesn't affect it like Laser. Cases have been recorded where the vehicle mounted units say 70mph but are reading the altenator of the cruiser. Other things like cross lane and enviormental noise i.e. other vehicles. That said a web search will turn up a few books on these cases.

Now go get a radar detector with helmet LED. Preferably a passport x50. Laser blinder M20 but I have not been able to find a good place for that yet on the RC. Maybe a slice in the windscreen.
Good Luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TnDuc said:
Like AZ Scott says, radar guns are very accurate. Any error (i.e., the angle of the gun to the vehicle being targeted) actually works in the speeder's favor as it LOWERS the speed readout. And besides, you said you were "caught red handed" so you must have been speeding :D .
tell that to OJ. :D

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
ducdodger said:

Check out the National Motorist Association at:

http://www.motorists.org/

Good organization fighting for motorists' rights, and they also have a *ton* of information -- including a ticket-fighting "kit" that you can rent. I go to court for all my tickets, and have gotten all of them either reduced (both fine and points) or dismissed. It's not rocket science, but it does take an investment in time.

If you don't have the time to invest, or if your offense is serious -- reckless op, DUI, huge speed, or if you have any of those offenses, or a long string of speeding tickets on your record -- I'd recommend obtaining the services of an attorney who specializes in that area. But for "run of the mill" speeding/traffic tickets, you can do the same job on your own.

For the most part, tickets are written to generate revenue versus ensuring public safety. When you exercise your rights and fight a ticket, you've gone from revenue-positive to revenue-negative. In other words, you're now costing them money, and it's in their best interest to get you processed and out of the system as effeciently as possible. If you simply show up, most courts will offer a plea bargin as a matter of course.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What Wounded Duc has written is correct. If everyone fought thier ticket, win or lose there will be less speed traps, (read entrapment), in the future. With the amount of revenue generated with speeding tickets and with insurance penalties because of these tickets, there will be more and more officers with modern equipment to supplement thier budget. Safety is not the reason for speed traps because accidents as a direct relation to excessive speed accounts for less then 5% of all motoring accidents. Speeding is not the cause of accidents, poor judgement is.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Just save yourself the headache and pay the 100 bucks to have the lawyer make it all go away. Or you can visit here http://www.beatmyspeedingticket.com/ and see what you think.

Caveat: Crown vic's are the only cruisers that had the cruise control interference. So if they are in a cap, or anything else, then forget that defense.

·
Registered
234 Posts
www.ticketassassin.com got me out of a 104 in a 65. Pay the $25, send him your details, and he'll even send you a tailored email containing the information you should have prepared for either your "mail in" testimony (CA doesn't want you to know this is legal), or what you bring with you to court. Cops get paid time and a half to show up for court, and get comp'd 4 hours, even if they're there for only 20 min, win or lose. Most of the time they win because most people don't know what to bring, say, or do. So, try to handle it by mail, cops don't get paid overtime if they don't go to court, so most of the time, it's not worth the trouble to them to fight a ticket thru snail mail.

The "particular" stretch of road you received your citation on, has to have had a safe vehicle speed survey done in the last five years.

The radar gun/laser/speedometer (if he paced you) has to have been calibrated in the last five years. They always say they calibrated it that day, well, the tricky part is, it has to be calibrated by a qualified AND "independent from the department" technician in the last five years.

In the state of CA, you have a right to Discovery, which basically means you're allowed to demand to see the citation, and any notes, and the paperwork on the radar, the pursuit vehicle, the officer's arrest and citation record up to 3 months prior to your citation, and all information regarding your incident. Basically, any and all information he plans to use in court, you're allowed a copy of, plus what you request. Just make sure that you do this 30 days prior to your court date. If it's less than 30 days, and more than 2 weeks, request that your date be postponed and request the information. Also, send your request to the department of the citing officer and to the court, so that you can prove that your request was made. Registered mail is a good idea.

In the state of CA, you have a right to a fair and speedy trial. If you are denied your right to discovery, you can motion for a dismissal based on your denial of your CA constitutional rights.

If the officer doesn't provide official documented proof of the safe speed survey, qualified and independent technician calibration of radar, or any other proof that you demand, motion that the court demand him to produce the documented evidence, and not to accept hearsay (the officer's word) as evidence. ( He has to have it with him. If he didn't bring it, oh well) and motion the court to dismiss your case based on lack of evidence.

Hope this helps someone else. If anyone has any specific questions, don't talk to me. Go to ticketassassin.com. Pay your $25, and Patrick Mulroy will share more info with you. He accepts paypal. And if people don't pay, the service goes away.

Andy

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm pretty sure the guy doing 200+ in MN that got caught by the helicopter was on a Busa. I actually have a magazine article on it.

·
2/3 hp to the paws.
401 Posts
Get a good traffic lawyer. They deal with it, you don't even have to show up for the court date. Just about any local lawyer will know the prosecutor, and as traffic tickets are a cash cow, primarily, they're typically only too happy to plea down a speeding ticket to some nonsense municipal ticket so they get the cash.

You wouldn't ask your neighbor to cut out your appendix, so don't base your defense on web sites. Get a pro who deals with a dozen of them a day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
maybe you all could be The peers in tried before a group of your peers :rockon

·
Registered
74 Posts
galaxy said:
I'm pretty sure the guy doing 200+ in MN that got caught by the helicopter was on a Busa. I actually have a magazine article on it.
It was an RC51. A stock RC51. Do an internet search, it'll show up everywhere.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Ooops, my bad. Found my article. It was a RC-51.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Simba said:
Get a good traffic lawyer. They deal with it, you don't even have to show up for the court date. Just about any local lawyer will know the prosecutor, and as traffic tickets are a cash cow, primarily, they're typically only too happy to plea down a speeding ticket to some nonsense municipal ticket so they get the cash.

You wouldn't ask your neighbor to cut out your appendix, so don't base your defense on web sites. Get a pro who deals with a dozen of them a day.
Right, cause nothing on any website anywhere is accurate. :wtf Where do you think lawyers get their info from to base their defense ??? :woot:

Yes, getting a lawyer is the best way, but if you don't want to pay all that money, you can deal with it yourself, if you do a little research, and prepare. I know it works, I got out of a 104 in a 65. :D And as I mentioned before, plea your case by mail, it's not worth the cop's time to even bother, because he won't get time and a half, or comp time if he doesn't actually go to court in person. The system is set up to make you want to avoid fighting the ticket/going to court, and just pay the fine. If you're willing to do some homework, and take the time to write out your argument. You stand a really good chance of beating the ticket.

www.ticketassassin.com

Just check it out. It's free to look at the website. It only costs money to get personalized service via email and to access their databases. Hell, Patrick will even help you write your defense.

Andy

·
2/3 hp to the paws.
401 Posts
andito77 said:
Right, cause nothing on any website anywhere is accurate.
Please don't put words in my mouth. I implied that a lawyer has far more experience in, you know, legal matters, because they do. And no web site is going to replicate the relationship most traffic lawyers have with the local judicial system.

Can you defend yourself? Sure. Is it more expensive to hire a lawyer? Absolutely. But I consider it money well spent considering the downright horrific effect a major (30+ over) speeding conviction can have on your insurance and license.

Screw up your defense on two of those six point tickets, and you'll be walking in most states.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts