Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Does anyone know, can you sand the paint off painted carbon firbre bodywork and the spray it with a clear lacquer that would match the rest of the unpainted carbon fibre?

I want to change the style and there are a few parts that are currently painted that I want to have "raw".

Any ideas, will it match, or will it ruin it all?

Thanks
Dave

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Carbon Fibre Bodywork - sanding & repainting (deimh)

my suggestion would be to try a small part first ,, as to see whats under the color.
first wash the part with ( the regular stuff ) Dawn dish washing soap , then use a wax and grease remover on it ,,, wet sand with 400-500 grit paper ( take your time and use a sanding block or pad ) don't sand into the carbon fiber just enough to get past the color or if there's any primer under it ,, once you do that you can clean the surface ( wax and grease remover ) and then clear over it ..
....one question though ...
how are you going to apply the clear ??
a small side note
rattle can clear ( which is acrylic based ) will not stand up to brake fluid or gasoline.. it will also turn to a nice shade of yellow (over time ) when out in the sun ..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Carbon Fibre Bodywork - sanding & repainting (04749s)

Thanks for the ideas - I am not planning on doing it myself, but will get a professional to do it. I was just checking whether it was an option or not as I don't want to ruin the bodywork by attemting the impossible.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Carbon Fibre Bodywork - sanding & repainting (deimh)

One problem is that carbon fiber has lots of pinholes in it.
When you clear coat it raw or even new cheap CF, you have to take extra steps to keep the pinholes from showing up.

If it was painted, you most likely will have the color or primer in the pinholes that will be impossible to remove.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Carbon Fibre Bodywork - sanding & repainting (Eddie)

Eddie, thanks - just the insights I was looking for.

Basically, leave alone.

Thanks
Dave

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What color and what bike are they for. I have unpainted CF and I want to go back to Red. Maybe we could work out a trade?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (ducman491)

The body work is for an MH900e, so I don't think most trades would work;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts