Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference besides appearance? It seems as though twill is common through the Euro venders, but DP is all over the US. I prefer twill, but is one stronger than the other?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Carbon Fiber - twill vs. DP style (Nick D.)

i think the plain weave (as on DP parts) is slightly stronger. 2x2 twill weaves are easier to conform to complex molds and tend to look nicer when finished. still plenty strong for bodywork. wouldn't dream of using it for anything structural.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Carbon Fiber - twill vs. DP style (s4strati)

I heard it was the other way around.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Carbon Fiber - twill vs. DP style (moto)

http://www.uscomposites.com/carbonpage.html

take a look at the descriptions of the different weaves. it also depends on the weight of the fabric.
for 5.7oz plain weave (like DP parts):
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Standard carbon for any structural or cosmetic purpose. Commonly seen inside Lexus and Audi as their stock carbon interior.</TD></TR></TABLE>

for 5.7 2x2 twill weave:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Twill carbon, attractive pattern. Gives 3-dimensional appearance. More easily drapable than plain fabric, yet more delicate.</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Carbon Fiber - twill vs. DP style (s4strati)

I think they are referring to the dry cloth being more delicate while it is laid up.

The guys that make carbon for us say they can make a stronger product with twill weave as they can play with directions of the weave. They say the pre-preg fiber is no different during lay-up except it conforms better. We spec plain weave for all our Ducati and MV carbon but spec Twill for all the other bikes.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Carbon Fiber - twill vs. DP style (moto)

I got some 2x2 twill tube here that i am using for a kickstand that will hold a tank. the thickness is .75".

not really a expert here but the twill is fairly strong IMO.

i happen to like the look of the twill

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Carbon Fiber - twill vs. DP style (mrgrn)

In multi layer pieces they always use plain weave as a base. With equal weight fabrics I think plain weave is stronger, but its not as pretty. Harness weave is the strongest of all the weaves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts