Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of making a carbon fiber kick stand slightly longer and lighter than the OEM one for both my bikes
I am using a aluminum attaching point and a aluminum foot, should look quite bling
if you can't ride em, bling em

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: carbon fiber kick stand (mrgrn)

any strength issues? I probably wouldn't pivot the bike on the stand anymore.
Post pics please.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: carbon fiber kick stand (SpeedKills)

why would there be?
the stuff is 0.050" and carbon fiber is twice the strength of aluminum
and half the weight

i will bet the ti stands will bend before you can damage carbon. I have carbon handle bar tubes and they are just beefy strong

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Lets see it!!!

I need to get one of your dash covers end of this week Mark.

Make sure it's longer than the Sato....I can send you the twisted one I have in my basement so you can go off that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrgrn »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would there be?
</TD></TR></TABLE> easy...stoner
I'm not the carbon expert here. If you don't know how many stages the compressor section of a GE LM2500 GTE has or what the C factor of mild steel pipe is; I won't roll my eyes at you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

easy speed, just foollin bro, the rollin eyes guy has a smirk

Eppy. i will borrow that bent stand if you don't mind? i will make it longer than the sato if you tell me how long that is? I think i am going to pin through the carbon for the aluminum attach piece and the pad piece. I will just drill through for the spring attach point.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrgrn »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you tell me how long that is?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well I'm about..........Oh you meant the kickstand....

I'll be looking forward to your new product
Going to be hitting you up for some mirror, flapper, and cluster covers soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpeedKills »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> easy...stoner
If you don't know how many stages the compressor section of a GE LM2500 GTE has; I won't roll my eyes at you.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The compressor is a 16 stage, high-pressure ratio, axial flow design. Major components of the compressor are compressor front frame, compressor rotor, compressor stator, and compressor rear frame. The primary purpose of the compressor section is to compress air for combustion; however, some of the air is extracted for engine cooling and customer use. Reference GEK97310 Volume 1 Page 2-7 Figure 2-4

And for the record, 7 of those stators are refered to as Variable Stator Vanes (V.S.V.'s)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (bottleboy)

Carbon structures that are engineered to hold loads in compression are very intricate, The lay up process and internal orientation is incredibly complex with massive attention to the core structures.

The autoclave and curing chambers will need to be of very high caliber to accomplish this.

These are not flat covers that where nothing more then carbon Decals with zero performance requirements. ?

I honestly do not believe you have the engineering background to design these let alone produce them.

Could you elaborate on the internal structure and the bonding interface with the metal components

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (sp2pilot)

Polymers that require a curing process are usually inadequate for this undertaking.

The molecular density therefore cannot be refined in a manner needed for the strength of the side stand.

The engineering requirements may indeed be deemed sufficient for these purposes. However, the internal structure of a monomer may prove degradable considering the environment.

Moreover, this insipidness is detrimental to my sanity.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: carbon fiber kick stand (Red Thunder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red Thunder »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The compressor is a 16 stage, high-pressure ratio, axial flow design. Major components of the compressor are compressor front frame, compressor rotor, compressor stator, and compressor rear frame. The primary purpose of the compressor section is to compress air for combustion; however, some of the air is extracted for engine cooling and customer use. Reference GEK97310 Volume 1 Page 2-7 Figure 2-4

And for the record, 7 of those stators are refered to as Variable Stator Vanes (V.S.V.'s)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually it's the first 6. Reference : my memory and if that's not good enough NAVEDTRA 10548-2 page 6-11 5th paragraph 3rd sentance. The 1st stage is inlet guide vanes not VSV's. Stages 2-7 are VSV's. If words aren't your thing
see figure 6-16 on the previous page. If your really smart you'll search Google, again, and post the start sequence for the engine as installed in a CG Tico class cruiser. I'll check it for you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

it is biaxial braided 6k 34 Msi modulus, 640 ksi tensile strength. It is seamless carbon tubing Robert.

I do not have the engineering background you mention, but should have no problem making some for my bikes and if you don't want one, kewl with me. I bet you have forgotten more about carbon then i will ever know but i never said i had a degree then did i?

I do not make the tubing or use a autoclave it is bought, so they are the experts
as far as the design, how tough is it Robert? The metal attachment is still spinning in my head, got a couple of ideas
one way or the other i will be able to have a longer, lighter, less expensive, one of a kind piece thought and made mostly by me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

My point was that tubing is normally designed to hold loads in suspension and have very high torsional properties. A tube in compression relies on its wall structure to hold the load or its inner core. The tube itself will crumble if loaded and a small side impact where to take place.

If however you built a honeycomb core structure that was bonded to the outer tubing structure then you could possibly construct a structure that could withstand these loads.

The bonding of carbon to aluminum,titanium or steel is where the money will get out of hand. You will need a "male" insert-able tab that will penetrate the carbon structure and offer enough surface area to bond to without adding too much rigidity to the joint. You understand that carbon has a very low frequency and joining it to materials that have different resonance properties will cause a serious failure prone joint.

I also believe that if you where to use aluminum for the attachment point where it bolts to the frame you will have to increase the dimensions to a factor of 3 to obtain the strength of the factory steel unit or the Titanium aftermarket units. Using aluminum for the component that sits on the ground is just a bad Idea. Aluminum, even heat strengthened alloys have much too soft of a surface or "face" to withstand direct contact with abrasive surfaces such as Concrete or asphalt.

So in closing my feeling is that you will end up with a engineering quagmire that can be worked through but unless you built 1000 units to defer cost and distribute the tooling cost you will ultimately end up with a 500 dollar side-stand. I guarantee their is a better chance of me finding Osama Ben Laden in my back yard then of you finding a buyer on this board

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: carbon fiber kick stand (sp2pilot)

i may just use the steel ends off the OEM piece as a copy, and use the steel instead of aluminum as it is stronger as mentioned. I am only holding up 400 lbs not 4000. My suggestion is do not whack the stand over and over with a bat and expect it will not break after time. I understand the weak points will be the mounting points of both metal connections but i doubt it will be a big deal, truely.

I understand your concerns, but do not understand your lack of faith. I know you are very smart Robert and i have a deep respect for your opinion, but i do not like people trying to put me down and say it can't be done, not fair really.

like i said, you are very smart but maybe a little ego as well. You really do not know if i can do it, yet you say i can't do it, and you have never met me, why? why do people feel the need to think they know everything
I have a guy who is a expert in the carbon field and fabrication telling me no problem yet the great Robert has spoken, check yourself man

i never said i was a genius just a guy with a idea
please don't hate the player, hate the game

i was thinking really $120 would have been about right, but luckily Robert has foiled that
and said it can't be done

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Look if a person was trying to build a lead balloon I would tell him it could not be done.

Please understand that if I was in competition with you I would just keep my mouth shut. I like you and thought you were just unaware of the complexity of this project. Now I see that you really do not care about that nor do you care to accept just plain common advise.

Fine build it. in fact here is a carrot for you build it and I will pay 200 bucks for the first working unit.

One little thing you will need to add to your calculations the stand does not have to support 400 pounds it has to support 400 pounds on a 17 inch lever. in other words a 17 inch long pry bar with the bike on one end and the earth on the other.

I estimate the shear loads at just shy of 2000 pounds per square inch in lateral shear and that does not include some person having a seat on the bike with the stand down.

Now call me the great Robert again and or toss out any little disrespectful comment you wish back handed complements mean jack shit to me.

Tell you what smart guy. I bet you the 200 bucks that you are unable to deliver this piece period. I will give you 6 months from today and I will throw in shipping. Of course my winnings will only cost you a postage stamp

200 years ago some people thought thath they copuld build a ladder that could reach the moon, you seam to be reincarnated from those guys

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Are you willing to pay for any damages that occur to a bike or injuries that occur to a person if your part fails (i.e. is defective)???

You're moving out of the aesthetic and into load bearing members whose failure could have consequences.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts