Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi'

I'm new in this great audience
- Mental998 encouraged me to join after I purchased his 5 spoke Marchesinis on eBay.
Q: I want a carbon airbox for my 1997 916 Biposto. How can I make sure that I won't end up with the one requiring removal of the radiator fluid resevoir (I think that it is the Ducati Corse one)? I wan't a direct drop-in - perhaps with a couple of CF air runners.
Thank you

Sune

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The one you need is the one-part item (the "corse" type has removable sides, with dzus). In DP catalogue you will find it, or at another dealer

http://www.ducati.com/doc/perf...B.pdf
Carbon airbox for desmoquattro:44220091B

Modified by El Gladiateur at 10:24 AM 1/6/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Carbon airbox for 916 (Piuforte)

Hello, Sune. Good to see you here.

Too bad BFP doesn't make one... hint hint, Dan.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Carbon airbox for 916 (Mental998)

Thanks. I will suck in all the knowledge I can

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Carbon airbox for 916 (DukeBoy)

Nice, but expensive

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hi Sune

They make airboxes that will fit you're bike with removeable side covers that will fit your bike. So judging by whether the sides are removeable or not is a poor way of making the decision on if the box will fit or not. What you don't want is a box like this below. The large bump in the front of the airbox is why you have to remove the coolant expansion tank along with the ignition switch. Hope this help.

http://www.hyperpastabiker.net/Airbox%20side.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

veetwo make the same airbox out of fibreglass with carbon fibre side panels, is $872au, much more affordable, am trying to save up for one.

not as pretty but functional, and can repair it yourself at home if you damage it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sune,

I have a friend with a 98 748 who's going to be selling his bike soon and will have just the airbox you're looking for.

PM me with your contact information and I'll pass it along to him.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Carbon airbox for 916 (Buckelew)

Mark,

Does your friend still have the carbon airbox?
I realize this is an awfully late reply, but needed to save up some $ first. Mental998 left me with a hole in my wallet after buying his 5 spoke wheels

Cheers
Sune

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Carbon airbox for 916 (DukeBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DukeBoy »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">veetwo make the same airbox out of fibreglass with carbon fibre side panels</TD></TR></TABLE>

I emailed them about that a couple years ago and they said they didn't sell the fiberglass box anymore, just the (really expensive) CF box. Not a lot of value to this mod with a stock motor, anyway - I'd spend the grand on any number of other things first.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Carbon airbox for 916 (JeffKoch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeffKoch »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not a lot of value to this mod with a stock motor, anyway - I'd spend the grand on any number of other things first. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I realize that the gain is very limited. My ambition is only to get the appearance of a 996 SPS, which has the CF airbox. I suppose that I could get the "tape on" side panels to put over the original airbox sides, but I figured it would look goofy
Another solution is to paint the stock airbox black - not the same as true CF look, but close.
I'm also getting the CF front fender and V-piece. I already got the 5 spoke wheels and SPS seat. I'll post a picture when it's all in place.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Somewhere I read that BCM was/is selling the EVR box for 630 US. Give Susie a ring and see if they still have a couple laying around.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mental998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hello, Sune. Good to see you here.

Too bad BFP doesn't make one... hint hint, Dan.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah Yeah.... WELL, the CF air tubes we sell fit RIGHT into a CF air box, and those look cooler anyway.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Piuforte »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...My ambition is only to get the appearance of a 996 SPS, which has the CF airbox...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah, o.k. - paint it matte black, drill a couple holes in each side, and epoxy Dzus fasteners in the holes!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Carbon airbox for 916 (JeffKoch)

Come on!, Jeff! You can do better than that!

How about buying some Carbon Fiber tape/sheets and cover the side panels so they look like C/F! A couple of Duzs fasteners and your ready for WSBK.........

Didn't some guy have a website where he molded or made C/F covers that doubled back taped to the stock airbox?

Now! I really think I've reached the end of the Internet

1 - 18 of 18 Posts